Hey Everyone,

I just have a quick question that I haven't been able to find a clear answer on yet, so I'm turning to the community.

I have a Mesa Boogie Express 5:25 Combo, and I want to get a fuller sound by combining it with a 1x10 or 1x12 extension cabinet. I have heard Mesa makes compact cabs/extension cabs for the Express line, but I haven't been able to find one locally at a store.

Anyways, I am wondering about impedance and ohms, and the relationship between amplifiers and cabinets. My Mesa says on the back it can put out 8 ohms for 1 cabinet, or 4 ohms to 2 cabinets. But a lot of the cabinets I am looking at say "16 ohms"

Do I need to find an 8 ohm cabinet? And if I were to run my Mesa combo with a 1x12 cabinet with 16ohm impedance what would the affect be?

And if I have a completely botch understanding of this whole subject, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks for all your help!
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
I just wrote a huge wall of text, then realised I don't really know what I'm talking about and I'd just confuse you more. Look up Parallel and Series circuits, and the Inverse Square Law, because that's all related. Ohms are the measurement of resistance/impedance (both mean the same thing) which serves as the force limiting the flow of voltage through a circuit.

If you have a pipe with a valve on the end, the Voltage would be like the amount of water flowing through it, the current (measured in Amps or Amperes) would be the pressure of the water, and the resistance would be how much the valve is stopping the flow of water. Wattage would be the total measurement of what comes out the end of the pipe.
If you don't have a 16 ohm out, then you need an 8 ohm cabinet. Look at Mesa cabinets. They are designed with Mesa heads in mind, and most (if not all) are 8 ohms mono.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
My mesa 4x12 runs 8ohms mono or 4ohms stereo. And Mesa 1x10 and 1x12's are good to look into, but I'd recommend looking at a 2x12 or even a 4x12 for practicality's sake. If you want to upgrade to a head/cab situation later on it will be much easier to utilize a head with a 2x12 or 4x12 depending on what kind of stuff you play.
I play guitar