Page 1 of 3
Now I know there have been a load of albums going recently, but I just had this idea that I thought was a bit different. A UG community concept album. We could come up with a proper story with set characters and a song list which has each event in the story that people can choose from. Obviously, we'd have to make sure we had a good range of different appropriate genres, and not just 14 metal tracks and one surf track. I think with a bit of effort this could actually turn out really cool.

I just thought I'd see what everyone thought of it before I go ahead organizing something properly if no-one really felt it. If no-one likes the idea then just let this thread die out, but if anyone is interested in it then please post

EDIT:
This might not go down, but we are hoping it will and are planning still. Read on.

I bagzy intro.

Involved in the project so far:

ME
ChucklesMginty
Meelad360
Hildesaw
Jackwhite333
Piscasis
Jables23092
Zigsfi
Arrived+Dparted
Rockfan7
Goodtimes666
TacoSaladMan

Things we have decided upon
SCI-FI, ACTION, HORROR. YES.

WRITING GUIDELINES:
When writing, take a more experimental and explorational view on things. We're talking space here, not a Rom-Com. You don't have to write 10 minute drones or anything but, we do encourage experimentation, ambience, and atmosphere to be flowing through your piece.

IF YOU CAN'T RECORD BUT WOULD LIKE TO WRITE, THEN THAT'S FINE. PLEASE TRY AND FIND YOURSELF SOMEONE TO PAIR UP WITH THAT WOULD BE YOUR SESSION PLAYER AND CAN RECORD TO AT LEAST A FAIRLY GOOD QUALITY WITH ADEQUATE PLAYING SKILLS. LETS NOT KILL THE VIBE FROM THIS ALBUM WITH SHODDY RECORDINGS, BUT WE ARE NOT NAZIS. JUST PUT A BIT OF EFFORT IN AND IF YOU ARE NOT ENTIRELY CAPABLE IN SOME FIELDS OF THE RECORDING PROCESS, JUST ASK AROUND FOR HELP. I'M FINE WITH MIXING TRACKS FOR YOU, BUT I'M NOT EXACTLY A PRO. OTHERS MAYBE MORE HELPFUL.

Pm me if you're interested or would like to finalize/ask/talk about anything.

I'm also fine with you adding me so we can communicate and keep hold of each other a lot easier so that this project flows as nicely as possible.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Last edited by PussyPunk182 at Jun 23, 2010,
its basically a UG album with a bit more co-operation behind it per se. like you said, there's a lot of album threads going around so it might be a better idea to forward this suggestion to be the basis of the 3rd (?) UG album.
"And after all of this, I am amazed...

...that I am cursed far more than I am praised."
I like the idea. I'd love to contribute if I had any recording gear.
Quote by apple_apple
oh my god! guitarViking is a genius... respect !!!

I'm GuitarViking! Don't you forget it!
Yeah, see I did do a quick search just in case Corey and I didn't see anything. If there is one though, give me a shout and I'll close this. I just thought I'd get the idea out there 'cause I've been thinking about it for just a little while, but I thought it would be pretty cool.

Edit: Sure chuckles. We're going to need some story writers and song planning guys etc as well so maybe you'd like to get in on that too? By this I mean, assigning events to songs, creating characters etc. This is almost like our own CYOA but in album form. Kind of. A little bit.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Last edited by PussyPunk182 at Jun 20, 2010,
I can help with guitar parts with the surf (ish?) track...PM me
Unless this is a washout and going to get reported er sum'n.
Agh! Guess that's why I didn't find it. K, I'll delete the thread.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
I read this as "UG contraception".
❝Don't be afraid of death, but of an inadequate life❞
Bertolt Bretcht

Quote by AngusPetrucci
The rock opera? I think this is already going down dood, sorry.

They stopped it? Why?
Quote by ChucklesMginty
Can I write for it but not record?

Same here.
Actually, I had a look at the rock opera thing and it hasn't been touched in months . I don't know whether we should name it abandoned and allow this or just cut this off. Anyone?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Quote by KileManA7X
They stopped it? Why?

They did?
I contributed alot in its early stage, but then i didnt come back on UG for about two months due to touring, but i didnt know it stopped, it was going really well
BACK IN BLACK

Quote by somedude789
You get squirtle.

HELL YEAH!!!
Quote by shattamakar

But anyway, I don't want to be tempted to consume my semen every time I ejaculate.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ynmumyjj2wm
Here's the current rock opera:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1284871&page=1&pp=40

Quote by KileManA7X
They stopped it? Why?

It's not stopped, just moving very slowly.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Ok so, if this were to go ahead, what kind of genre of story are we looking at? Sci-fi? Military? Action? Horror?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
In any case, a concept album is different from a rock opera so there's no reason for this to be rejected. I say you go ahead with it. I'll definitely help develop the concept as I did for the UG Rock Opera. I may even be able to get a song in here too.
Yeah, it's just a very similar idea and UG community albums are starting to lose there novelty so I didn't want to annoy anyone. Cool

I vote for a sci-fi feel. That way we can get some really big adventurous stuff flowing.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Quote by PussyPunk182
Yeah, it's just a very similar idea and UG community albums are starting to lose there novelty so I didn't want to annoy anyone. Cool

I vote for a sci-fi feel. That way we can get some really big adventurous stuff flowing.

How bout, sci-fi/horror? Or sci-fi/action/horror?
Well, where there is sci-fi there will be action. Maybe, a team of astronauts go in to space and end up isolated. There connection with Earth is lost, and they all start to get a massive case of cabin fever. One of them turns very twisted/psycho and ends up trying to kill the others. Bit cliché though.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
I'm in; however I'm going to need someone to do vocals over my track once I'm done unless I buy a microphone soon.

Medit: I like the space idea, I'd like to add in some ambient stuff and that idea would be perfect
Quote by PussyPunk182
Well, where there is sci-fi there will be action. Maybe, a team of astronauts go in to space and end up isolated. There connection with Earth is lost, and they all start to get a massive case of cabin fever. One of them turns very twisted/psycho and ends up trying to kill the others. Bit cliché though.

Sounds like the movie Sunshine. Except they were trying to recharge the sun or something, I can't remember.
Yeah I play a lot of post rock and ambience and I think that kind of thing is going to fit in perfectly. I'm no singer, so my contribution will be instrumental unless somebody wants to put some vocals over it which I could write; just not perform.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Quote by PussyPunk182
Yeah I play a lot of post rock and ambience and I think that kind of thing is going to fit in perfectly. I'm no singer, so my contribution will be instrumental unless somebody wants to put some vocals over it which I could write; just not perform.

I think it would be a good idea to edit in a list of writers and performers in the op, that way we have a running list if/when this does happen.
Quote by Meelad360
I think it would be a good idea to edit in a list of writers and performers in the op, that way we have a running list if/when this does happen.

Good idea.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
i'll do it. but right now i have limited resources (my guitar, comp, interface, and a dynamic mic) so my song may have to be a bit more of a low-key entry. But I don't know, I just did a song (in my profile called "those words") with this gear and it's kind of a dance rock tune, so i could see what works
I'll be a performer by preference, but I can also attempt to write if we have a shortage of writers
Quote by jables23092
i'll do it. but right now i have limited resources (my guitar, comp, interface, and a dynamic mic) so my song may have to be a bit more of a low-key entry. But I don't know, I just did a song (in my profile called "those words") with this gear and it's kind of a dance rock tune, so i could see what works

That's a good sounding recording! you're being modest. We're not talking studio-perfect professionally produced stuff. Just as long as there isn't much noise, it's clear, and there is at least some creativity in the DAW when needed. Omnomnom, stereo panning delays in sci-fi themed stuff. Oh the space rock fun I will have

That's cool meelad, it's good that the writer/performer balance isn't too steep even at this early in the game.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Quote by PussyPunk182

How many songs should we break the CD up into?
And would people be allowed to collab?
Likin the sound of this man. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if it goes anywhere and if you need any help I'd love to contribute. I can write music and maybe lyrics
Quote by Piscasis
Sounds like the movie Sunshine. Except they were trying to recharge the sun or something, I can't remember.

It is also the exact plot of Pandorum. I think we could come up with something a little less cliche, but I don't know what yet. I think wormholes are cool too haha. Never can have enough wormholes.
Hmm I was thinking about the genre thing. I know we shouldn't do all metal, but if we want to do a serious concept album then we may not want to go from jazz to hip hop to metal to folk. Also, I don't think certain genres can be taken seriously for a concept album. As for the plot, I still like the space idea, but how about a "Shadow of the Colossus" type of concept? I think that'd be cool.
Quote by Meelad360
Hmm I was thinking about the genre thing. I know we shouldn't do all metal, but if we want to do a serious concept album then we may not want to go from jazz to hip hop to metal to folk. Also, I don't think certain genres can be taken seriously for a concept album. As for the plot, I still like the space idea, but how about a "Shadow of the Colossus" type of concept? I think that'd be cool.

So like going around fighting huge rock monsters on a horse???

But I agree on the genre thing. I was thinking that like post-rock/post-metal would lend itself really well to an space concept album. I've already out together a couple of random ideas down on guitar pro, but nothing solid yet. Is anyone else doing anything?

EDIT: I never really got past halfway on Shadows so I'm probably missing something.
Last edited by hildesaw at Jun 22, 2010,
Ok maybe we should say that as long as the music is atmospheric and isn't the standard "intro-verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus-chorus" type of stuff then it's ok? I don't want to limit this project to people only into experimental types of music, but I agree it would be better as a whole to stick to some guidelines.

SO:

When writing, take a more experimental and explorational view on things. We're talking space here, not a Rom-Com. You don't have to write 10 minute drones or anything but, we do encourage experimentation, ambience, and atmosphere to be flowing through your piece.

The number of tracks shall be determined by how many people are in on this. All I know atm is that we will be starting off with a rather large post-rock/ambient piece as an introduction
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
I have a very spacy feeling touchsytle instrumental called "the void" that i could submit if you wanted. Its very floaty
BACK IN BLACK

Quote by somedude789
You get squirtle.

HELL YEAH!!!
Quote by shattamakar

But anyway, I don't want to be tempted to consume my semen every time I ejaculate.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ynmumyjj2wm
Maybe we could write the story and then see if it fits in?
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
I have written a piano sonata about a team of astronauts getting lost in space. It's very experimental but I don't know if it will fit into the style of this album, being somewhat a classical sorta piece. It's pretty much there, anyway if ye want it!
Yeah maybe we should get a actually story down first. Anyone want to start? I've never done any kind of internet collab so this is all new ground for me.
I was thinking about making an Alesana-like piece to contribute (similar to this Heavy Hangs The Albatross). Do you think that would be cool for the project? Or maybe an Underoath type of feel (like this Too Bright To See Too Loud To Hear). I would very much like to do a metalcore piece, but in the vein of the songs I've linked, not like August Burns Red stuff :P

Also, when I said Shadow of the Colossus I didn't mean combine with the space idea, I meant just the atmosphere. Like, how he's the only one there and he has to kill all of these colossi for his love. It's very atmospheric, very desolate, etc. It makes me think of the Underoath song I left up there.

As for the story, I'd like to let PussyPunk start it off, since I believe he has a beginning already in mind for it.
Page 1 of 3