My local GC has a triple rect, and a VHT pitbull both on sale for very nice prices. bviously, there are a million threads on the triple rect, but the VHT I don't hear alot about. I primarily play melodic heavy metal. I'm looking for lots of distortion with lots of articulation(aren't we all?). What is the voicing like on these amps comparetively? Lots of gain, and a heavy lead tone is VERY important to me. If I pick one of these up, I'll use my WGS loaded booger as a cab. And YES, I plan on playing them both, although if the VHT(which I know next to nothing about) sucks for high gain, I was hoping the forum would let me know.

And I'd like personal opinions too, what would YOU choose?
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
The VHT is a much more individual, interesting and very different amp - both have truckloads of gain, both are very versatile. If you love tweaking minor details you'll like the mesa. If you like a more plug and play feel (although not 100% plug and play) the VHT will suit much better. Personally, I much prefer the VHT on all fronts, but at the end of the day they're both great amps and whatever you like the most, you'll walk out of there with a good amp!
The mesa is a hotrodded fender/marshall type sound. The vht is its own thing entirely.
I've never really been too impressed with any of the rectifiers I've played through. The vht i just got gave me wood. It's an entirely different sound altogether.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
The mesa is a hotrodded fender/marshall type sound. The vht is its own thing entirely.
I've never really been too impressed with any of the rectifiers I've played through. The vht i just got gave me wood. It's an entirely different sound altogether.

That pretty much contradicts itself

Rectos sound nothing like a Marshall and the only similarity they might have to a Fender is that amps they are based on might have been a Fender circuit at one time.

I've always thought of VHTs as somewhat German voiced, dry and articulate. They have huge saturation without needing tons of gain, very tight. The Recto has a giant sound, tons of lowend, but the newer ones (3 channel - besides the 2010 versions) are pretty loose sounding.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Well, Randall started out Modding like blackfaces? I guess I was thinking tweed circuit which could go either way. But ya you're right. Rectos sound like rectos, the vhts don't really sound like anything else.
sounds like i need to give the VHT a through test.... thanks for the replies
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by AcousticMirror
Well, Randall started out Modding like blackfaces? I guess I was thinking tweed circuit which could go either way. But ya you're right. Rectos sound like rectos, the vhts don't really sound like anything else.

Those were the Mark series. But yeah it was Princeton Reverbs. Rectifiers are definitely their own sound that is hard to replicate because of well...the Rectifiers. The Triple Rec might be a little more saturated than the Pitbull but both need to be pretty loud to reach their optimum tonality. I find that with the Pitbull you can throw a lot of preamp distortion on it and still come out ok, but the Rectifiers are better off with less gain with a wider, more open sound.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Go play both, Pick which one you like the most.

I'm a Mesa guy, But VHT is another great company~
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
I own a Roadster and a CL/50
I can tell you I like the VHT better, but that doesn't mean you will.
The Mesa is big, loose, saggy with tube rectification, and it gets pretty sweet with a tube screamer type boost.
The VHT is tight, it's very dry. The Mesa has more “life” to it.
Both are amongst the most solid (build quality) amps you'll find.
Try them both out and see
boost the recto and report back
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by AcousticMirror
mclaw have you owned an ultralead?

Yup.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I saw a local band use a VHT Pitbull ultralead in stereo, two heads, two cabs and it was one of the best guitar sounds I have ever heard.....

The only thing you can really do is test both. However if I wasn't happy with my ENGL the VHT is one of the first places I would look.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
Quote by MatrixClaw
Yup.

what'd you think? did you get a chance to compare it to any other vht amps?
Quote by AcousticMirror
what'd you think? did you get a chance to compare it to any other vht amps?

TBH, I'd idolized that amp for quite some time, and once I finally got one, I was severely let down.

It had a giant saturated tone, without having to turn the gain up much, it sounded super heavy, but it was just dull and lifeless to me. So dry that it had no character at all. Cleans were nice, but not as good as I was expecting. I've played the 50 and 100/CL many times, as well as the Sig:X and Deliverance and I would personally take any of those over a UL
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
aw alright. so the deliverance 120 isn't just like one channel from the ultralead it's something different?
Quote by AcousticMirror
aw alright. so the deliverance 120 isn't just like one channel from the ultralead it's something different?

Well... the UL has 2 more channels, not 1

And yes, the UL seemed to be drier, tighter and smoother. The Deliverance, for me at least, was more aggressive and alive sounding. The Sig:X is what you want if you want the Deliverance with a clean channel, they're not exact, but sound more similar.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Gonna call GC in a few hours to see if they'll set'em up for me to demo tonight. Not sure I'm gonna plop down the $$$ today for one of these amps, maybe if one really grabs me (or if I can talk them down even lower!)
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by MatrixClaw
Well... the UL has 2 more channels, not 1

And yes, the UL seemed to be drier, tighter and smoother. The Deliverance, for me at least, was more aggressive and alive sounding. The Sig:X is what you want if you want the Deliverance with a clean channel, they're not exact, but sound more similar.

ya but the sig/x doesn't come in a 4 kt88 version. I think what I need now is like the clearest most compressed gain channel to round out my rig....
Which i think means I should't have sold my ktre. Doh.

Quote by Gundamnitpete
Gonna call GC in a few hours to see if they'll set'em up for me to demo tonight. Not sure I'm gonna plop down the $$$ today for one of these amps, maybe if one really grabs me (or if I can talk them down even lower!)

I'd be surprised if the VHT doesn't give you wood. It takes a second to learn how to dial it in. I'd go ahead and give the manual a quick read before going.
Sounds like they sold the triple rec already, it was $899 so I guess it's no wonder it sold.

VHT is still there for $1500, gonna bring the agile tonight and try it.

AM, what do you mean hard to dial in? I'm a BIG fan of mids, got any ideas for settings for a high gain mid heavy tone?
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by Gundamnitpete
Sounds like they sold the triple rec already, it was $899 so I guess it's no wonder it sold.

VHT is still there for $1500, gonna bring the agile tonight and try it.

AM, what do you mean hard to dial in? I'm a BIG fan of mids, got any ideas for settings for a high gain mid heavy tone?

well the tone stack and gain controls don't work like other amps since fryette designed his own thing.

well the cl doesn't look that bad. It's the simplest I've seen from him.

I mean this is the one for the sig X

the deliverance isn't hard to dial in but it's just different because of the 2 gain plus less/more switch. You're like not really dialing in the gain but dialing in the touch of the amp.
Hmm. What's the gain stack? How's it work? I'm using something like another stage of valve?
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
ya it's got like 4 stages and each one is switchable and has its own level control. you dial in whatever the heck you want.
Gain stack >= Lolstack?

Thanks for the info
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Quote by AcousticMirror
ya but the sig/x doesn't come in a 4 kt88 version.

Why do you need 4 KT-88s...? It has 2 in it already, KT-88s put out massive wattage, it's not like you're playing them at high volume anyway
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Why do you need 4 KT-88s...? It has 2 in it already, KT-88s put out massive wattage, it's not like you're playing them at high volume anyway

it's 2 more innit.
VHT is the sex.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
the short:played it, not for me. this model didn't have enough gain for my tastes. i like my booger more (here comes the flames)
Guitars:
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
F7ck the cl series. That is all
*flamesuit*
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
really? that seems in line with what mclaw was saying about the pitbull ul and cl.
the deliverance has so much gain. If you're looking for a cheap amp. There are a lot on gc used for like 800 bucks.
Yeah, my Deliverance has TONS of gain. I've never set the gain knobs past around 1:30 for a show and that's playing death metal.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera