Yo guys. I want a Strat style guitar so I can become on of those generic Yngwie clones.
If if I have to I'll just get a Fender. But I'm looking for strat guitars from other companies too, I heard Schecter make some good ones? You get the idea.

Will be playing through a Laney. Metal, rock, neo-classical crap etc.

So, just recommend me some decent ones. Budget in GBP is currently up to £400 max.
Thank you.
Quote by AlanHB
Yeah well in special UG land chords = noob, scales = intermediate and modes = advanced. Most users are trying to finish the game on hard because then you get the trophies for noob and intermediate difficulties upon completion anyway.
Imo a fender MIM Strat is your best bet, but thats because i'm a sworn fender user. i've played some very nice schecters, but only diamond series and i don't believe that its in your price range.
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
I'm no good at converting prices but have a look at Edwards Snappers:

Very sexy IMO.

Failing that, buy a used Fender MIJ Strat?
Quote by TheWizard42
Imo a fender MIM Strat is your best bet...

This. Go to your local shop and try one, you won't be disappointed. As you can see in my sig, I have a Mex Fat Strat, and since it is HSS it is surprisingly good at handling distortion. Don't shy away because they're Mexican, they are truly Fender.
IT'S JEFF

Fender MIM Fat Strat, HSS
Peavey Envoy 110
Quote by 11macj
they are truly Fender.

sounds like you turned "fender" into an adjective =P
Quote by 11macj
This. Go to your local shop and try one, you won't be disappointed. As you can see in my sig, I have a Mex Fat Strat, and since it is HSS it is surprisingly good at handling distortion. Don't shy away because they're Mexican, they are truly Fender.

My three singlecoil strat handles distortion nice. just sayin
CAPITALISM
Quote by diofan88
Naked with a bowl of cereal with headphones.
you can go mexi strat, or G and L has some asian mades that are cheaper. not sure about exact cost.
Fender!
American Standard Strats are freakin' awesome! I'm planning on changing the pups to some CS69 for a vintage sound, but else they fkn rock!

Quote by poopsmith666
I sincerely hope one day you look back at this post and realize how ignorant you're being about the concept of getting high.

Quote by strat0blaster
Out of those choices, I'm going to go with the Bastrapple.
is your main aim to sound like yngwie? i only ask because, if you ask me, with the exception of yngwie, a superstrat with at least a bridge humbucker would likely be a better idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
how much is an american special fender strat overseas? It's $799 here. just one thought.

also, don't dismiss the MIJ (japan) fender strats. i scored one cheap recently and the quality of the thing is great.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
change that to a poundsign and you'll be close enough, gregs

yeah, just checked, you're talking the guts of £700. £400 will barely buy you an MIM standard at the moment.

anyway, first things first, do you definitely want a strat? as i said, i know yng did, but he's about the only one of those shredders who did. if you do want a strat, i have something in mind

EDIT: what laney is it? not mentioning the model number makes us supicious
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you wanna sound like Yngwie, you gotta do like Yngwie.

Single Coil in a Bridge is a definite must. Also not very high output i believe. Dunno about his amps, but his tone is VERY unique. And you don't get that with a humbucker, that's fo sho'!
Ibanez RGT6EXFX -> Ibanez TS9 -> Korg Pitchblack -> Peavey 5150 II head -> Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab
I've got a 2005 MIM strat - just had fender custom shop texas specials installed, switchcraft jack, fret dress/setup...guitar is freakin' 100% awesome. Granted, if you're looking to be the next yngwie m. then texas specials aren't for you (their more for blues/rock like AC/DC) but the MIM strat quality is very good. In fact, the luthier that did my work said that the pots/cap/switch were the same as what goes in the MIA fenders.

You'll want to consider pickup configuration in your selection. In this picture:

http://www.voodoomusic.gr/php/img/MalmsteenPromo.jpg

He's got 3 single coils and the switch appears to be in the forward position. Stevie Ray Vaughn played the same thing. Just be aware that if you go for a different pickup configuration, you'll get a different sound.

Overall I love my strat and it's very comfortable to play. You won't be sorry with an MIM strat and you can find them used for a pretty good price most of the time.