I currently have a multi-fx board. What I like about it is that with one hit of the footswitch, I can switch from metal rhythm to a really thick sound for solos. I'm looking to upgrade, and everyone says that stompboxes are superior to multi-fx. What type of setup or single stompbox effect would I use to give my heavy metal solos a nice thicker sound? I'd like something where I can switch back and forth with a single press. I plan on starting with a Boss tuner and noise suppressor and building from there.
Are you using your amp for your rhythm tones currently? If so a decent overdrive pedal should get you there. If you are looking to end up with a lot of effects, it may be easier to look into something like a TC G-Major, since you'll be able to switch any modulation effects you want with one stomp. What amp are you running right now?
-A good overdrive to be able to boost the volume and gain of your signal
-A wah pedal for obvious reasons
-An equalizer pedal to add a touch of clarity
-A chorus pedal to add a bit of body to the sound (maybe)
-A delay pedal
-A reverb pedal (if you don't have good reverb on the amp)

What amp do you have? What multi effects system are you upgrading from?
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I currently have a Digitech GNX2 running through a Randall RG50TC. I also have a Boss metalzone and DS-1 lying around. I want to switch to using amp distortion (or metal zone)and build some pedals around that. All those pedals listed above sound great, but I'm looking for a setup where I can switch to solos with one press of the foot and back again to rhythm. (The metal zone sounds great for rhythm but sucks for leads...I need something to improve the lead sound, make it thicker.)

I also plan on buying a more expensive amp in the future and plan on using that amp's distortion, and I would want the pedals to transfer over.
Quote by guitarsftw
-A good overdrive to be able to boost the volume and gain of your signal
-A wah pedal for obvious reasons
-An equalizer pedal to add a touch of clarity
-A chorus pedal to add a bit of body to the sound (maybe)
-A delay pedal
-A reverb pedal (if you don't have good reverb on the amp)

What amp do you have? What multi effects system are you upgrading from?

are your bottom three recomendations a must(or I should say common) for rock/metal?
Gear-
ESP LTD Deluxe EC-1000 VB
Epiphone Negative G-400 SG
Jackson Dinky
Custom Explorer
Custom V(being built)
CEC Amplification Suckerpunch 15
Catalinbread DLS v2
Humphrey Audio Slo/Diezel mod MT-2
Monsterpiece NPN/Classic
Quote by 1ArmyGuitar
are your bottom three recomendations a must(or I should say common) for rock/metal?

If you're talking the Delay, Chorus & Reverb, I'd say Delay & Reverb are a must. It gives most solos that huge sound to em.
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Quote by lockwolf
If you're talking the Delay, Chorus & Reverb, I'd say Delay & Reverb are a must. It gives most solos that huge sound to em.

+250000, it really brings solos alive man.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Based on the responses, if you're doing solos it seems like a quality multi-fx unit is the way to go. That appears to be the best way to switch back and forth between rhythm and solos while being able to simultaneously incorporate many of the above listed effects.
I have an example of the tones you get when using chorus, and delay together with a good tube amp.

Here we are....

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Talentless/music/all/play769737

Mines the second solo in the first clip. Thats without delay, just chorus.

Second one has delay too as well as chorus.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works