I'm not sure if this is in the right thread but anyway..... Steve Vai's The Audience Is Listening is recorded on a 7 string guitar and is transcribed as so, but live, he played the exact same thing in his 6 string jem (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUddr0ziOQM) , can anyone tell me how? Is it just a master-class in improvisation or different tuning or what?
I'm not familiar with the song at all. But he could have just tuned a six string down, or it's possible all the notes he hit in on the seventh string were achievable on a standard six-string.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
ive been wondering this too... that version of the song is absolutely godly, 10 times better then on record
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
Quote by Doodleface
or it's possible all the notes he hit in on the seventh string were achievable on a standard six-string.

The 7th string is tuned to B, then standard tuning.
hmm, yeah i'm quite intrigued now too.
he might have been using his Whammy pedal to pitch shift down for the 7-stringed parts?
i'm not familiar with that pedal so can't say for sure, but i know he has one.
I'll try and explain. Open up your power tab to follow along.

Watch at 1:45 on the video. He Plays the D power chord an octave higher, on the A string

For the riff on bar 63 in the power tab (played by another guitarist), he replaces it with the riff from bar 67. No B string required

The power chord slide at 2:29 is just an inverted power chord. 5th fret E and D string, then just slide down to the 3rd fret

The solo at bar 131 isn't played

At bar 139, the bass plays that part, and the other guy plays the aforementioned inverted power chord.

Any other miscellaneous B string use is just changed slightly. It's all power chord wankage, nobody can tell the difference
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

yeah just inverted power chords. By playing the 5th below the root, u create a deeper sound.

Also his back-up guitarists might be playing 7 strings?

But I just tuned my guitar to drop D and i could play the whole thing. But that was before i knew about inverted power chords.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Quote by conor-figgy
Is it just a master-class in improvisation or different tuning or what?

It's a masterclass in getting Dave Weiner to play all the 7 string stuff
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.