Hey guys..I'm rebuilding a Tele...I have a new neck coming in the mail as well as sperzel locking tuners. The electronics in the guitar now are fine..I MIGHT change them in the future, but they function fine now.

I have a USA standard for the neck pickup. I'm looking to put a DiMarzio Chopper T for the bridge. Will this create volume disparity when I switch from either/or pickup? Will it sound like two different guitars when I switch from the bridge to the neck and vice versa? I really don't want it to sound like two different guitars..I just want the bridge to have a little less twang and just sound better on the mid-higher gain stuff.
The Chopper T's output is barely more than a standard Tele bridge pickup. Bear in mind that Tele bridge pickups are traditionally noticably hotter than the neck pickup for a contrast in tones. It's worth taking into account your amp though; the Chopper T has quite focused upper-mids and depending on the nature of your amp, that can make it seem much higher output than it initally seems to be. On the other hand with some amps it will act as if it is lower output than it initially seems.

If you want a definite balance between the two positions but you want to lose the bridge 'twang', give it a little more body and keep it hum-cancelling for higher-gain applications, try the Fast Track T with two 250k pots and a .047uf capacitor on the tone control. The Fast Track T is slightly better balanced naturally with a typical Tele neck pickup while that control set up would kill any possible twang. Doing the same with the Chopper T could lead to a fairly muddy tone. A Seymour Duncan Little '59 would also balance a little better while giving a fatter tone with less twang, though you would have to place it a fair distance from the strings or the bass could get a bit too strong (placing it further from the strings would also help sustain and further reduce the 'twang' anyway).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The Chopper T's output is barely more than a standard Tele bridge pickup. Bear in mind that Tele bridge pickups are traditionally noticably hotter than the neck pickup for a contrast in tones. It's worth taking into account your amp though; the Chopper T has quite focused upper-mids and depending on the nature of your amp, that can make it seem much higher output than it initally seems to be. On the other hand with some amps it will act as if it is lower output than it initially seems.

If you want a definite balance between the two positions but you want to lose the bridge 'twang', give it a little more body and keep it hum-cancelling for higher-gain applications, try the Fast Track T with two 250k pots and a .047uf capacitor on the tone control. The Fast Track T is slightly better balanced naturally with a typical Tele neck pickup while that control set up would kill any possible twang. Doing the same with the Chopper T could lead to a fairly muddy tone. A Seymour Duncan Little '59 would also balance a little better while giving a fatter tone with less twang, though you would have to place it a fair distance from the strings or the bass could get a bit too strong (placing it further from the strings would also help sustain and further reduce the 'twang' anyway).

Thank you very much..I was interested in the Fast Track T as well..so this solidified that. How difficult is it for a noob to change ou the pots and put that capacitor in? I believe the pots are already 250k..
It's as easy as loosening a couple of nuts, the old pots come out and the new ones go in their place. It's not like they're glued in or anything. The main problem is choosing which pots to go for, different brands have different feels. CTS, RS, Bourns and Alpha are all decent, respected manufacturers. As far as the capacitor goes, really you should desolder the old one and put the new on in its place but a lot of people just cut the old one out with some wire cutters and solder the new one in. Stock Telecaster controls are usually two 250k pots and a 0.047uf capacitor though so you might be able to keep the controls as they are - just read the bottom of the pots and the side of the capacitor, they'll tell you their values on them. That said, most guitars these days come stock with what are called ceramic disc capacitors, which have a slightly brighter tone than others no matter their value. Another type of capacitor, the orange drop, has a warmer tone and it might be worth switching to that if your guitar currently has a ceramic disc capacitor (easy to tell: the ceramics are a dirty brown/orange, flat disc).
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.