Page 1 of 2
What happens when we run out of it?

The environmentalists will lose their foot hold on Alaska eventually, and we will end up drilling in every hole we can soon enough, but when that is done with, what happens?

Assuming there isn't a major break through in renewable energy, oil prices will sky rocket, (becoming un affordable) resulting in a need for cars not using oil that depending on the slope of the rise of the price of oil could not be met, in part because the companies making cars use energy from oil, etc.

I think it's worse than people generally think. The rate of fossil fuel/oil being made available for us to drill to us drilling it is inconceivable. It takes millions of years for an organism to be usable as fossil fuel.

So, it might not run out this decade, the next, or even this century. But, what happens if it does, and there hasn't been a major breakthrough of renewable/other non-renewable energy sources

Just wondering what other people think about this subject, as global warming is usually the bigger issue, but I think this is an issue that is more statistically easily to comprehend and feel for by any person in a developed country
John Petrucci

The one and only god.
Quote by alaskan_ninja
We're boned.

this.
Quote by asator
YOU'RE A CUNT AND STUFF LESPAUL1216.

It's okay because whatever, forever
Quote by King_Arthur

The environmentalists will lose their foot hold on Alaska eventually, and we will end up drilling in every hole we can soon enough, but when that is done with, what happens?

Assuming there isn't a major break through in renewable energy,

Energy doesn't have to be renewable to be alternate. It will be though. The country to develop the next great energy source will be the world's next superpower.

Seriously, think about it. Coal - England. Oil - the US. Oil happens in the Middle East, the US starts to puppeteer the region.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Fucking oil, how does it work?

GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by SteveHouse
Seriously, think about it. Coal - England. Oil - the US. Oil happens in the Middle East, the US starts to puppeteer the region.

Nah we got coal too.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Um what happens when we run out of oil? See we don't think about those types of things, gotta make profits now. Drill Baby Drill.
We're ****ed and life as we know it is over, but no worries TS, we got 100 years or so.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Quote by Gyroscope
Nah we got coal too.

More than anyone else, in fact.
It's okay though 'cause we've made synthetic life.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Me = dead before oil = all gone
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid

I HERD WE LOST OIL LOL

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I'm confident there will be a good source of renewable energy by the time oil runs out. My next door neighbor has an entirely solar powered house.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by King_Arthur

Assuming there isn't a major break through in renewable energy, oil prices will sky rocket, (becoming un affordable) resulting in a need for cars not using oil that depending on the slope of the rise of the price of oil could not be met, in part because the companies making cars use energy from oil, etc.

I think it's worse than people generally think. The rate of fossil fuel/oil being made available for us to drill to us drilling it is inconceivable. It takes millions of years for an organism to be usable as fossil fuel.

So, it might not run out this decade, the next, or even this century. But, what happens if it does, and there hasn't been a major breakthrough of renewable/other non-renewable energy sources

Just wondering what other people think about this subject, as global warming is usually the bigger issue, but I think this is an issue that is more statistically easily to comprehend and feel for by any person in a developed country

this is all old news.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Yeah, I'm pretty sure by the time it happens we'll at least be most of the way to being fully reliant on renewable energy sources.

That, or we'll go completely bone dry, and there'll be worldwide chaos. But come on, that could never happen...... right?

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Quote by iantheman
I'm confident there will be a good source of renewable energy by the time oil runs out. My next door neighbor has an entirely solar powered house.

+1. We have enough time and people already want different energy sources (mostly because it's cheaper than because they know it will be necessary later, but still).
Quote by Ace88
Forgive me, O bastion of ear tuning. My stringeth be old, my tuning be quick; hopefully one day your string will snap you in the dick.
I'll just take my bike, I suppose.

edit: Or I could just hoard the shit. That endeavor seems too expensive for even I though.
Last edited by -[NiL]- at Jun 20, 2010,
There was a Discovery Channel special on this a while back. All hell breaks loose and governments start hoarding that shit like its a drug, then everything just goes downhill from there for about 2-3 years until we develop a better fuel source.
Quote by Butt Rayge
Pretty sure Jesus was decaffeinated.

I'm just a hedonist without happiness
It won't for a long time. Case and point, you and I won't don't need to worry about it. I'm sure you can come up with something in that big brain of yours, darling. So do it.
Quote by pnkhrdwndr
42 is the answer!!!

"How many years until the oil runs out?" doesn't seem like a very likely candidate to be the Question for Life, The Universe and Everything.

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

Steam: | PSN: Zeroxxed | Twitter:
Quote by Kilobyte
"How many years until the oil runs out?" doesn't seem like a very likely candidate to be the Question for Life, The Universe and Everything.

No, the question is obviously who was phone?

We're basically f*cked once the oil is done. Look at how much shit is made of plastic around you. A lot of it is pretty important stuff.
Gear:
08' Gibson Les Paul Studio
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ Vintage 30
Peavy Vypyr 15 watt
MXR 10 Band EQ
MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss DS-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah

Death to all butt metal.
the whole world is going to be like fallout when we run out of oil.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
Quote by paintITblack39
we'll just wait for more dead things to fossilize.

Like human corpses, yeah?
Quote by lambofgod40
Hemp?

Bingo people, we already had the answer to this oil crisis over 60 years ago. Henry Ford made a hemp car that ran on hemp fuel and was made out of hemp. It was stronger than a normal car, and of course, used hemp as fuel.

Or there is solar power. Wind power, water power, etc.

but really, hemp can solve 99% of all our economic problems.
Or we can use this for our energy and only put fossil fuels into cars.

My point up there with the UK and coal was how dependent their economy became on it. Now the world has moved on to oil, and we're completely dependent on that.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Almost every industrialized nation on Earth depends on oil. Their armies depend on oil to function even moreso. So yeah, there might be a war to control the last of the oil if there is no alternative.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
everyone will have to buy a diesel car and use fryer oil. or we will all be driving 20mph in full electric cars. bmw needs to pick up the pace with its hydrogen car. as u can see, there are alternatives, but oil is such a big industry, we dont want to give it up until we have to.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Quote by qazzy
According to this we have 42 years till the end of oil. http://www.worldometers.info/

Lol I found it really funny with the "Obese people in the world right now" rate because it is going up every two seconds, so it's like every two seconds someone just became obese.
Current forms of energy will become secondary before they become "extinct."

If we assume there are no breakthroughs (which I have little reason to assume), too much war to comprehend and lots of death. Pretty simple.
Alternative energy sources, some of which are renewable.

We'd use them more now, but oil is so damn profitable. When we're forced to use something different then we will.
We'll turn oil into a luxury item again, and then people will start traveling by foot, bike and all that until a company, in a similar manner to Henry Ford, makes affordable, effective non-petrol-based cars, at which point we'll once more go through a 10's-20's period of cars where everyone starts buying them and figuring out ways to work out the common flaws and all that.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I'll ride my damn bike.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
well they are are working on electric cars, i have seen several solar powered cars done by students in uni, one group made a solar powered car that can go upto 80-90kmph.

electricity is mainly generated using petroleum products, in this region at least, but many countries are generating electricity using wind, waterfalls and nuclear energy,
il sara7a il sara7a, i made you a goat but i eated it

we are not racist, we hate everyone equally
Quote by King_Arthur

2012, man.

we're not gonna have to worry about this!
Quote by Piscasis
Lol I found it really funny with the "Obese people in the world right now" rate because it is going up every two seconds, so it's like every two seconds someone just became obese.

instand weight gain, it's the new thing.
Page 1 of 2