My band and I are having some problems finding a lead singer. We are on Long Island and play thrash/classic metal (Metallica, Sabbath, Maiden, Megadeth, Slayer, Testament, ect). Anyway, we've posted classifieds on here, on other websites, on our facebook/myspace, and in a couple of local music stores. Still, no responses. The ads have been online for about a month and in the stores for 2-3 weeks. We are becoming incredibly frustrated because of this. Does anybody have any advice on what to do? Should we advertise more, is it our age range (looking for someone 14-17), the influences listed, or should we just wait a little longer?

Thanks for the help.
It's luck of the draw.

I've been looking for three years+ to even find a band and I've only just found one, which isn't my ideal band (5-piece alt rock, when I wasnt 3-piece blues/jazz rock).

But I agree, look at your school, get integrated into the local music scene, check out any local gigs of bands that have a similar genre, etc etc.

It's not just about planting an ad and hoping unfortunately.
Have patience, your age group really doesn't allow long distances on a regular basis. Because of this people will respond less quickly.
1. If you haven't already, hit Craigslist. I've heard the most success stories from Craigslist.
2. Recheck your ad to make sure it's awesome. I don't know what yours is, but you'll want to have influences, what you're looking for, and try and have some samples of music. Posting an ad with no music and just an "idea" gets a lot less response. If you want to post your ad in here, we probably can take a look at it and help you out.
3. Keep in mind, classic metal isn't exactly the biggest genre in the world right now, so a lot of people might not be interested in playing it.
4. If you haven't already, tell everyone you know that you're looking to do this, all your friends, their friends, your siblings, your parents etc. When I was your age and in school, we put a full band together based on this tactic. We’d ask around, and have people saying, “Hey, Chris plays bass,” or “Hey, my boyfriend is a great singer, you should try him out!”
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
Quote by rhoads4ever
1. If you haven't already, hit Craigslist. I've heard the most success stories from Craigslist.
2. Recheck your ad to make sure it's awesome. I don't know what yours is, but you'll want to have influences, what you're looking for, and try and have some samples of music. Posting an ad with no music and just an "idea" gets a lot less response. If you want to post your ad in here, we probably can take a look at it and help you out.
3. Keep in mind, classic metal isn't exactly the biggest genre in the world right now, so a lot of people might not be interested in playing it.
4. If you haven't already, tell everyone you know that you're looking to do this, all your friends, their friends, your siblings, your parents etc. When I was your age and in school, we put a full band together based on this tactic. We’d ask around, and have people saying, “Hey, Chris plays bass,” or “Hey, my boyfriend is a great singer, you should try him out!”

1) I did hit craigslist already, I was hoping it would help, but it only resulted in a ton of spam to my email.
2) The ad is pretty straightforward. It has the influences, our genre, what were looking for as far as position and age, and an email to contact. However, we don't have any samples of music yet. We plan to record when we figure out the singer situation.
3) Yea, I do get that, but it's not totally obscure. I would imagine that there are enough people interested in the genre around our area.
4) Ive posted asking for anybody interested in singing on my facebook page, but no responses.

Link for the ad on here https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1315691

I am planning to talk to a kid I know who is in another band. They needed a singer too, not long ago and found one it seems much easier than we did. Hopefully he knows of other people.

Thanks for the suggestions though.
Last edited by metalband84 at Jun 21, 2010,
Word. Try actually asking people face to face. You'd be shocked at how much people don't read facebook posts (unless they're written by an attractive girl talking about what tools guys are, then for some reason every loser on the planet has to point out to her he's not...) When I actually asked around, I got a much better response.

You looking for a singer?
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
We'll have to continue doing stuff like that and asking around and yea we are looking for a singer.
Last edited by metalband84 at Jun 21, 2010,
at 14-17 most people don't have it in their heads that they want to be a vocalist so its really hard to find them that way. You should just do what I did, sing. Most singers are singers because no one else in the band would sing.
no sir away a papaya war is on