I am looking for some suggestions on what electric guitar's I should look at... I have played on and off for years but am basicly a beginner...
Here is what I am looking for:

1 - $300ish range - preferably under (Guitar Center pricing)
2 - Thin neck (I have small hands)
3 - Large Frets (fat fingers)
4 - tremolo (non-floyd rose)

I am hoping for the best overall quality within these parameters.... Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance...
I listen to everything.... Barenaked Ladies, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Black Crowes, Stevie Ray... I guess it's easiest to just say ROCK!

As far as an amp... I have no idea. That was to be my next question. Again, looking for a decent amp at a good price. Not looking for a professional amp... but not a tiny 'practice amp' either....

thanks for your help!
I'dsuggest some sort of Fender Strat, prolly the one with the two single coils and one humbucker , they are really versatile and have thinner necks , i have small hands too and they feel good to me
And as for amps , you could get a nice little Peavy vypr , like 20 watts , they are small enough to keep in your room and play without waking up neighbors , but have enough power in them to be cranked up decently loud and keep a nice tone. Plus they come with a ton of on-board effects
that was definitely going to be my suggestion as well. get a fender (or squier) strat. get the HSS one. whats your budget for your amp though. just so we can help you out and kill two birds with one stone sort of deal. you're going to want to invest a little more in your amp than the guitar cuz you're going to see more of a sound difference that way.
you mean the FENDER strat or the SQUIRE strat.... the only fenders strats I have seen are out of my price rangs and I have had a few people tell me to stay away from the squire strats....

Also, what does anybody know about Laguna? I know it is a Guitar Center specific brand (whick doesn't make me feel particularly good about them) but the two that I looked at yesterday filled all of my requirements....
A guitar under $300 with a non-Floyd trem is probably going to have terrible tuning stability. Seriously, if you want a guitar with a trem for that cheap, it probably wont be great. Why no Floyd anyway? If you would get a Floyd, I'd recommend an Ibanez RG350, it fits what you want almost perfectly.
should of read through the other posts before replying.... sorry!

Ideas on Laguna????

My amp budget is prolly in the $200 to $300 range
dont listen too much to the squiers suck thing. i found a 1989 hss strat a few years back when i started playing, and its on par (if not better than) the $800 mexican strats they're putting out now. and i got it for $145 CND from a shop. i got really lucky, but anything that isn't the affinity series is actually pretty good.
They are a technically good guitar , they would fit your expectations, but i've played on a few and they felt a little odd to me. Just the way that they sounded made me feel like i was just moving my fingers , i jut got no feeling out of it, it had a pretty poor sound, it might have just been just the amp or strings , but i'm just not a fan
I would go used: http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm

A quick search shows some 299.99 Fender HSS Mexican strats. The Mexican Fenders are really well-made, I swear by them. Also, I've heard good things about the $350 Squier Classic Vibe Series (namely that they rival the Mexican Fenders) but I'll reserve judgment until I try them.
'08 Fender Deluxe Blackout Telecaster
'08 Squier Jagmaster w/ 2 DiMarzio PAFs (DP103/DP223)
'91 Seagull S6 CW Acoustic/Electric
Fender Super Champ XD
Digitech Whammy WH-4
EHX Big Muff Pi (NYC)
Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ
@littlephil - I had a Washburn N2 back in the day and had lots of issues re-stringing, etc... Also, my daughter will be using this guitar to learn on.... just want to get the basics right now. If either of us pick it up to any decent extent, I may want some of those extra 'bells and whistles'...
Quote by littlephil
A guitar under $300 with a non-Floyd trem is probably going to have terrible tuning stability. Seriously, if you want a guitar with a trem for that cheap, it probably wont be great. Why no Floyd anyway? If you would get a Floyd, I'd recommend an Ibanez RG350, it fits what you want almost perfectly.

meh not sure this is the answer. floyd rose required more upkeep than a ragular tremolo or hardtail. and it's not like he's going to be downtuning to B. by the looks of things most of the stuff he plays is probably in standard, so he couldnt definitely get a guitar under $300 that will stay in tune. I honestly wouldn't suggest a floyd if your beginnerish.
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 21, 2010,
It'll stay in tune if he doesnt use the trem. Floyds dont require any more upkeep, it just takes a little longer to change strings, and you cant change tunings a lot. The only GOOD non-locking trems come in guitars way out of his budget. A $300 guitar will not have a good non-locking trem. If he doesnt want a Floyd, a hardtail is definitely the way to go.
i had an Ibanez RG2EX1 for about 2 years, and never had issues with it staying in tune. Even when tuned down to C. And that guitar had a regular non-locking tremolo, and they go for $300 new.
No, its not.
Ibanez RG2EX1 Electric Guitar Features:
Fixed bridge

Directly from the site you just linked.
@handbanana - I actually think that is the exact Ibanez model the sales guy at Guitar center was showing me (along with the two Laguna models). His only complaint was that it had ceramic pickups... ???

@Dardevil725 - I really like the style of the first guitar ypu linked (the SX Isis). However, I am not familiar with that brand. Know anything about the qualith, etc of SX guitars?
Quote by littlephil
No, its not.

Directly from the site you just linked.

You said it had a floyd, I said it had a non-locking tremolo, which is what it has. There's more than one kind of fixed bridge dude. You obviously don't know the difference between a fixed bridge and a floating bridge.
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by littlephil
RG2EX1's are hardtails?
The only RGs that have non-locking trems are Gio's.

Actually there is an RG with a standard trem. I had one for a while. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG120-Electric-Guitar-103576583-i1167511.gc
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by floorlizard
@Dardevil725 - I really like the style of the first guitar ypu linked (the SX Isis). However, I am not familiar with that brand. Know anything about the qualith, etc of SX guitars?

Quality isn't an issue. For a $200 SX, you'll most likely be getting a lot more guitar than $200 of any brand guitar center sells. The quality is a lot higher than other guitars at the same price point because they are forgoing a link that is usually dealt with in the marketing chain.

Also, regardless of what the site looks like, Rondo is legit. I've bought from them before.

EDIT: I meant to edit this into my last post, I don't know how it got posted separately. May have just spaced out. Sorry for the DP.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by handbanana
You said it had a floyd, I said it had a non-locking tremolo, which is what it has. There's more than one kind of fixed bridge dude. You obviously don't know the difference between a fixed bridge and a floating bridge.

Uhh....that guitar you posted doesn't have a non-locking trem....You can even see it in the crappy pics on MF

fixed bridge = a bridge that doesn't move.

http://happynewguitarday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/RG2EX1-Flags.jpg
http://img260.imageshack.us/i/1000861kw0.jpg/

just thought i'd point that out.
I'd try looking into a Squier Telecaster with a humbucker. Generally they have thinner necks than the Stratocaster, and I prefer mine to a Mexican Made model that was twice as much. They're a little more twangy though, but you can't really pick it out on the dual humbucker ones too much.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by handbanana

Seriously dude. Have a look at the 2EX1 bridge. There are 5 screws going deep into the body of the guitar holding it in place. It is a fixed bridge. I never said it had a Floyd, I said it was a hardtail. Hardtail = Fixed Bridge.
A non-locking tremolo is a Strat style bridge or Wilkinson or MusicMan trem.
You're the one who doesnt know what they're talking about.

Quote by Offworld92
Actually there is an RG with a standard trem. I had one for a while. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-RG120-Electric-Guitar-103576583-i1167511.gc

Yeah, but RG's with model numbers below 200 is a Gio, which I covered.
Quote by littlephil

Yeah, but RG's with model numbers below 200 is a Gio, which I covered.

What? That doesn't even make any sense. Just because it's a low number model doesn't make it a Gio. If it was a Gio, it would say Gio on it. Besides, Gio's have different necks than RG's, and the RG120 has a Wizard II like every other RG, so how the hell is it not an RG?

That's like saying that Gibson Melody Makers are really Epiphones, because they're too low of a model.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Whoops, my bad, its not actually part of the Gio line.
Under 200 is still part of the RG line, but they are the only ones with non-locking trems.
i think you described a modern series fender perfecty. for that money looked mexican made and the new ones generally have medium jumbo or jumbo frets.