Page 1 of 12
While I was writing an essay about modern music for English class, I thought of this question. I am quite simply flabbergasted at how hip-hop/pop has become so overwhelmingly popular. I have nothing against the genres, but I just cannot puzzle it out. I mean, it's basically the same repetitively generic music with someone rapping over it (and often using auto tuning). What makes it so attractive to people?
What makes any kind of music attractive to anybody?
Time keeps on slipping...

Quote by skaterskagg1
AtomicPunk7 is uncreative.
Pop=Popular

That's why pop is popular because it's popular. Hip Hop happens to be a hybrid genre with pop.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
Quote by technicolour
why is rock so popular?

Why are boobs good?
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by technicolour
why is rock so popular?

Good question.

It's just a bunch of white dudes shouting about women over a bunch of fuzz.

I don't get it.
It's cause the MAN wants to poison our minds...
ELIMINATE OUR FREEDOM
...by making us listen to music about drugs, violence and ladies who act in a questionable manner?
My gear:
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass
Fender Rumble 15
It's catchy and easy to listen.

I mean, most poeple listen just to listen music you know, and those poeple don't want that is musically researched, they just want a simple music with simple lyrics.
People like the beat/bass in that stuff. And while it may be difficult for some of your to fathom, there does exist rap that has lyrics with substance.
anything that's popular is popular because of media exposure. simple as that.

don't discount rap though. check out K-Rino. he's an underground rapper from Texas and he's one of the most inspiring and impressive lyricists i've ever heard in any genre:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aaqB4vQzR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBaCYMe7AP0

even a lot of popular rappers are quite good. Eminem has incredible flow, wit and storytelling ability:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkTuA8wDBtU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdkRVPu-Jf8
Last edited by flame843 at Jun 20, 2010,

It's designed to be like that!
It's designed to be simple and catchy and appealing, just because you can't understand its appeal doesn't mean that everyone else can't!

Most people can't understand the appeal of whatever hardcore obscure metal bands you probably listen to.

If you're trolling, you've done a damn fine job, sir
Why is metal popular? It's just a bunch of dudes dressed in black squealing like pigs while some other guy chugs away on a guitar.

Why is progressive rock popular? It's just some guy noodling away on a guitar for an hour while someone else occasionally makes a few weird sound effects and another guy sings a few notes.

Why is jazz popular? It's just a bunch of guys playing in weird, off-kilter time signatures with dissonant chords.

Why is classical music popular? It's just a bunch of uptight guys playing a bunch of metal horns at the same time, while changing speed a lot and pretending to represent bees or something.

You can oversimplify anything, but that doesn't necessarily make it simple.
Quote by RockGuitar92
Why are boobs good?

How do magnets work?
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by guitarsftw
How do magnets work?

This is actually relevant... I think the popularity of ICP confuses everyone.
Last edited by Tire Me. at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by Tire Me.
No one's said that Hip-hop and Pop are in no way the same genre?

EDIT: Or, you know... That ^.

Yes.

And any music is liked by anybody because thats what they like. There's no reason that one kind of music is popular. I think it probably started out by a couple kids that other kids thought were "awesome" were listening to that music, and it grew because more and more "awesome" kids listened to it. Now there's a bunch of kids who are followers and a bunch of kids who actually like the music.
Hip-hop is popular because it's awesome. Why is this difficult to understand? Get Stankonia by Outkast, forget your hangups, and goget yo freak on
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Exactly, and it has a bitchin' guitar solo. These philistines gotta respect that at least.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Quote by xaviergray
^^You like shit music. I can say that too, we're both human. Which one of us is right?

Me. Rap is just recycled garbage with some booms and clappities and a guy talking over it.
it seems to me that Jay-Z actually hit the nail on the head, with rap music... If they don't talk about money, cash, or Hoes. it does not appeal, because it is in man's nature to destroy himself. And those masses that choose to listen to that sort of thing, is merely making himself a greedy philanthropist. Or quite simply, a mindless beast.
Quote by Well.......
Me. Rap is just recycled garbage with some booms and clappities and a guy talking over it.

incorrect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=888o1-yi_yk

and on that token, rock is just generic chord progressions and verse/chorus/verse songs with rich white guys singing cliche lyrics over it
I just don't get why someone can take a song, use the beat and then use auto-tune, not as an effect to enhance the sound, but to improve their vocal quality almost selfishly, and make so much money off of it. I think people like rock because there's almost always something relatable and attractive in the sound of a guitar solo or meaningful lyrics. People connect more to love, troubles, and moving ahead in life than they do with clubbing, hitting on some girl with a big ass on the dancefloor, or someone that "looks better when I'm drunk." Rap music just seems to have turned into a promotion for reckless behavior and redundancy.
Quote by Well.......

If you're serious then there is so much fail in your post.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by SilentHeaven109
It's designed to be like that!
It's designed to be simple and catchy and appealing, just because you can't understand its appeal doesn't mean that everyone else can't!
What is? Hip-hop? Or do you mean pop? If the latter, so be it. If you mean the former, then I beg to differ.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Rap is popular because its so repetitive, that is the most simple form of brainwashing don't you know? Its like how even an unoriginal chorus gets stuck in your head, you here it so much it sticks around, and I'm not saying this to be insulting, rap was designed to be catchy, and that's an easy way to be catchy. Also its really a dance-y type music, people can move to it, so it makes them feel good, and or happy. And i think there is something deep rooted, about tribal sounding music that stirs up the primal side of man. there is something really barbaric about a black male shouting his deep voice over, drum beats, and noises. Its like why alot of males love "Doggy" style sex its a deep rooted primal thing as well. I think ? haha
Quote by Yoda_is_real
Rap is popular because its so repetitive, that is the most simple form of brainwashing don't you know? Its like how even an unoriginal chorus gets stuck in your head, you here it so much it sticks around, and I'm not saying this to be insulting, rap was designed to be catchy, and that's an easy way to be catchy. Also its really a dance-y type music, people can move to it, so it makes them feel good, and or happy. And i think there is something deep rooted, about tribal sounding music that stirs up the primal side of man. there is something really barbaric about a black male shouting his deep voice over, drum beats, and noises. Its like why alot of males love "Doggy" style sex its a deep rooted primal thing as well. I think ? haha

Just stop talking. Way to be semi-racist by the way.
Quote by Tyler Durden

Erowid
Quote by SiggyBond23
I just don't get why someone can take a song, use the beat and then use auto-tune, not as an effect to enhance the sound, but to improve their vocal quality almost selfishly, and make so much money off of it. I think people like rock because there's almost always something relatable and attractive in the sound of a guitar solo or meaningful lyrics. People connect more to love, troubles, and moving ahead in life than they do with clubbing, hitting on some girl with a big ass on the dancefloor, or someone that "looks better when I'm drunk." Rap music just seems to have turned into a promotion for reckless behavior and redundancy.

That's exactly the reason why people use it. Seriously. You're complaining that they're using it for the wrong reasons, when in actual fact they're doing it the way you prefer.

If they used it to improve the vocal take, you wouldn't notice. In fact, if you've recorded a song with vocals in the past 10 years, I guarantee the producer/recordist used auto-tune at some point.

As for the rest of the post, you're speaking as if every person in the world has had the exact same experiences. You can't discount an entire genre as being less "relatable" than another, simply because people relate to different things.
Quote by SiggyBond23

Not true. Check out the guys I linked before. That's hip-hop, they have meaningful lyrics and good hooks. A couple of O.G.'s from the hood shouldn't typify the entire genre of hip-hop.
Last edited by KTFM at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by Tire Me.

This is actually relevant... I think the popularity of ICP confuses everyone.

daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Last edited by JayT44 at Jun 20, 2010,
Quote by food1010
What is? Hip-hop? Or do you mean pop? If the latter, so be it. If you mean the former, then I beg to differ.

I'm referring to mainstream pop music in general, 99% of what's in the charts is written for precisely that purpose, regardless of genre, and of course there are always exceptions.

It always just boggles my mind why people attack the complexity and technicality of mainstream pop when it never really claimed to have these qualities, it's supposed to be enjoyed by the largest audience possible.

Man, feels like I've been discussing pop all night