I want a pickup system for my new Taylor 712. But I am picky. I want it to sound natural (a mic and an under the saddle dual system probably?) but make a very low impact on my guitar. I ideally want one of those subtle preamps that curves around the soundhole under the top with a blender and volume thing. I don't want to permanently install anything or at least not with screws.

Any ideas? Is this possible?
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
One I've been interested in lately, which seems to have everything you're looking for is the LR Baggs Anthem SL. I've never heard one in person, though. But based on what you're looking for, it seems to fit the bill rather well.

Anthem SL
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I want a pickup system for my new Taylor 712. But I am picky. I want it to sound natural (a mic and an under the saddle dual system probably?) but make a very low impact on my guitar. I ideally want one of those subtle preamps that curves around the soundhole under the top with a blender and volume thing. I don't want to permanently install anything or at least not with screws.

Any ideas? Is this possible?

Andy McKee uses a combination of two pickups. See what he says about them

One is a Sunrise (I think that is what it's called) magnetic pickup, but the majority of his sound comes from a K&K.

K&K Acoustic Pickups

There are several conotations, but the basic one would be the Pure Mini and better (and what I think he uses) would be Trinity Mini with Mic

These are reputedly, the dogs dangalies. Certainly, Andy McKee's sound, is not to be sniffed at.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jun 21, 2010,
The LR Baggs is supposed to be the latest and greatest with a natural sound and great feedback resistance in a loud band setting. It's a little too new to say for sure what I think about it, but until I get to try it I'll have to go off what other people say/videos/reviews etc... In other words its your responsibilty to the guitar world to get one and gig with it and make recordings and tell us all about it!

I find Taylor's 2010 ES system to sound great and probably the best combination of good sounding + feedback resistance at very high volumes in a full band setting. It's not for everyone, but then again, everyone else must be wrong lol. Just kidding, just kidding!
-----------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z Stangray
G&L ASAT Classic (Ron Kirn Custom T-Style coming soon! ronkirn.com)
Keeley 4 Knob Compressor
Taylor 314ce
Yeah, Andy McKee certainly has great sound live. I like Trace Bundy's a lot too and he uses a similar system. I'll look into that.

I'm pretty strongly considering the Baggs so maybe I will.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I use the Fishman Matrix Infinity in my Martin and my Breedlove. I love it. It works for what I need it for (singer/songwriter stuff). It comes with the blender and volume thing at the sound hole.

If you play fingerstyle, maybe try something that will pick up the percussive stuff too. Something like the Ibeam from L.R. Baggs. I hear the I Mix System is pretty good too.
Last edited by euphorictacos at Jun 22, 2010,