Page 1 of 2
^ U beat me!

Nah, my buddy took a class of it in college. It's coding, but I can't tell you much more.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
id like to see a programming thread, but not one so specific. i can help with some web coding, and ill be looking for C help.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Java > C# olololol

... okay now I feel like a troll... >_>
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Quote by VVolverin3
Java > C# olololol

how so? cmon dude.

C# == partial classes, operator overloads, properties, collection inits, INDEXERS.

Java == headaches

C# != Java, or anywhere close to it. Good to see some geeks up here in UG though, lets keep it goin'.
HTML isn't code.

And the "ololol" was supposed to make it obvious that I was joking about Java being better (or in any way remotely like) C#. I have limited experience with C# myself though, mostly just C and C++.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
#include <stdio.h>
#define SCREW_YOU_ALL 0

int main()
{ 
    printf("\nScrew you guys and your fancy leet C++, I'm sticking with C and C#");
    return SCREW_YOU_ALL;
}
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Jun 21, 2010,
Python frustrates me the most I think. >_>
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Headers are insanely annoying. Having to essentially write the code (or at least, the method names and such) twice is just dumb. C# is an amazing language, but suffers from the same issue that all .NET languages do. It's too easy to decompile. If you release a commercial well-selling C# game/program, I can guarantee you that the entire source code (save variable/method names) would be posted quite fast, even if you obfuscate it as much as possible. I also dislike having to 'fight' it sometimes to do things that would be easy in C++, but I guess that's why you can just use C++/CLI (usually). Aside from that though, an awesome and fairly easy to use language.
Quote by Kapps
Headers are insanely annoying. Having to essentially write the code (or at least, the method names and such) twice is just dumb. C# is an amazing language, but suffers from the same issue that all .NET languages do. It's too easy to decompile. If you release a commercial well-selling C# game/program, I can guarantee you that the entire source code (save variable/method names) would be posted quite fast, even if you obfuscate it as much as possible. I also dislike having to 'fight' it sometimes to do things that would be easy in C++, but I guess that's why you can just use C++/CLI (usually). Aside from that though, an awesome and fairly easy to use language.

Agreed, tho that is the downfall of a shared IL. Java runtime is just too slow for me. Low level access is hard in C#, I agree. But the ability to code a few different types of apps ALL THE SAME WAY is nice. Whether it be Silverlight, WF, WinApp, etc. It's pretty much all the same. But as a nod to Java, and my Java roots, NetBeans is an amazing IDE.

EDIT: Further on that note, NB is (free) UNIX-ware, VS is rather expensive.
Last edited by bbetances at Jun 21, 2010,
VS is free too, at least for the Express edition. Or, if you're a student and your school is part of MSDNAA, you can get any version for free (and stuff like Windows as well).

And this thread should really be renamed to Programming instead of C++. :p
Quote by Kapps
VS is free too, at least for the Express edition. Or, if you're a student and your school is part of MSDNAA, you can get any version for free (and stuff like Windows as well).

And this thread should really be renamed to Programming instead of C++. :p

Yea but for someone like me who freelances both guitar playing, as well as software, the $400+ price tag is not appealing.

EDIT: plus, VS2010X doesnt support LINQ iirc. Could be some other tech tho, like Entities.
Last edited by bbetances at Jun 21, 2010,
C++ = D.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by osXtiger
C++ = D.

C++ = B-
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
System.out.println("Amidoinitrite?")

First year of uni, using Java, very picky piece of shit language. Any other programming language looks desirable.
Can't stop the spirits when they need you This life is more than just a read thru
You need semi-colon.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Funny this thread was started. I have an object oriented design exam in 2 days (where the primary language used is C++).
Quote by goony
Funny this thread was started. I have an object oriented design exam in 2 days (where the primary language used is C++).

Good luck, bro.

I, myself, have just a little experience using C#.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
It's what hackers use to steal money from banks.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.

#include <stdio.h>
#define SCREW_YOU_ALL 0

#define WRITELN(x) printf("in function %s: %s", __func__, x)

class CForTehLulz {
public:
    CForTehLulz();
    virtual ~CForTehLulz();
};

CForTehLulz::CForTehLulz() {
    WRITELN("inited random class for added epic ");
}

int main()
{
    CForTehLulz *pLulz = new CForTehLulz(); 
    WRITELN("My preprocessor skillz > yours");
    delete pLulz;
    return SCREW_YOU_ALL;
}
LtBrenton

Quote by Douglas Adams
The art of flying lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Quote by soulflyV

If I didn't have a mudkip in there, I'd sig that.

http://ltbrenton.wordpress.com My blog. Check it out.

☠ ☠ ☠
Quote by urik
#include <stdio.h>
#define SCREW_YOU_ALL 0

int main()
{
printf("\nScrew you guys and your fancy leet C++, I'm sticking with C and C#");
return SCREW_YOU_ALL;
}

pure win
Quote by VVolverin3
Python frustrates me the most I think. >_>

How can such a beautiful, simple and powerful tool be frustrating?
I've used Basic, Pascal, C, C++, C#, Perl, Python (and also some assembly language, shell scripting and VHDL) and Python owns them all
Quote by Aussie_Warrior

First year of uni, using Java, very picky piece of shit language. Any other programming language looks desirable.

try saying that when you get your first segmentation fault

EDIT: i don't really get the Java hate, I've had a lot of experience with it, C, C++ and PHP (along with lots of other languages to a lesser extent) and its probably top 2 for me.
Last edited by Diamond Dave at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by Mad Marius
It's what hackers use to steal money from banks.

I know nothing about programming. Is this true?
Quote by Shred Head
I know nothing about programming. Is this true?

No. C++ knowledge is pretty much irrelevant to breaking any type of security like a bank. You'd probably have to be able to get the banks IP's find an open port on the router and use it as a backdoor to get into their computers. I think, I don't know I haven't gone to high school yet I plan on going into computer security in college and working in the Military.
I don't see the point in using c++.... so are c#/java peeps allowed in here? :p

anyway, does anyone know where I can find good (up to date, like not having to mess with the example apps for half an hour before they even decide to run because it was coded in 2003) tutorials on creating direct x c# applications? (in other words 3d shizzle), got two months of nothing to do and I'd like to mess around a little :p

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Quote by Aussie_Warrior

java isn't that bad tbh, at least if you compare it to shell/awk/... scripting :p, if you want to have a horrible language to start out with, linux is where its at

Stop highlighting my signature!!

</td><h1>yay!</h1>
Quote by LtBrenton

#include <stdio.h>
#define SCREW_YOU_ALL 0

#define WRITELN(x) printf("in function %s: %s", __func__, x)

class CForTehLulz {
public:
CForTehLulz();
virtual ~CForTehLulz();
};

CForTehLulz::CForTehLulz() {
WRITELN("inited random class for added epic ");
}

int main()
{
CForTehLulz *pLulz = new CForTehLulz();
WRITELN("My preprocessor skillz > yours");
delete pLulz;
return SCREW_YOU_ALL;
}

Would have been much better if your code was correct.

Quote by numinis

anyway, does anyone know where I can find good (up to date, like not having to mess with the example apps for half an hour before they even decide to run because it was coded in 2003) tutorials on creating direct x c# applications? (in other words 3d shizzle), got two months of nothing to do and I'd like to mess around a little :p

I won't discriminate against your for your language If you want to learn DirectX download the SDK and try the documentation with it. I had bought a book on DirectX 10 programming a few years ago so I never had issues with it and the documentation kept me up to date with any changes to the SDK which weren't difficult since I already knew how. Look for books is pretty much the only thing I can tell you. Some good ones are mentioned on gamedev.net
Last edited by 666WildChild666 at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by numinis

It's much faster. So if you're running simple algorithms for a long time, you should use C++. Also, no need for making new projects if you only have to make something simple - just type the code in anything, compile it and run it.
Quote by -Rodion-
How can such a beautiful, simple and powerful tool be frustrating?

If it had been the first language I had used, I probably would have liked it more. But after getting used to having clearly defined blocks of code with the brackets {} and semi-colons ; and such, having to strictly format code with tabbed indents and no formal line breaks became incredibly frustrating.

For example attempting to compile and run a bunch of code, getting an error in the compiler on line 116. Searching for the error for ages before finally realising the error is a few lines up and it's just because I'm out by a single tab.

Therein lies my pain.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Page 1 of 2