Solution: Cry.

And so I did, but then I decided to do something about it. For too long had I coveted Charlie Hunter's signature Novax CH8*, it was time I did something drastic. It was time I took the Agile Pendulum I had bought specifically for modifying and modified it. It was time I, a guitarist with no wood working experience and a phobia of power tools (so please don't expect this to be good), took a stand.

The Agile (with obligatory foot shot):

With the neck removed:

The 'Grover' tuners (which I extremely disliked)

I removed

and replaced with Schaller mini locking tuners.

From the front.

Enough with the neck, I like my bodies too. Plans to for pickup cavities:

I realize this is a seven and not an eight string guitar

DON'T PANIC! DON'T PANIC!
THEY DON'T LIKE IT UP 'EM!
Last edited by Don't Panic Ok? at Jun 21, 2010,
The templates for the routing

had to be raised since my router bit was too long (as my pickups are directly mounted).

Then I routed, my first time routing anything.

And drilled holes for my additional controls.

So, can anyone guess what I'm throwing in here pick-up and control wise?

Looking good so far.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
ah.... i too have no woodworking experience and a fear of powertools....
however sir, your work seems to look beautiful.
mine looks like my brothers "girlfriend"
aka a giant horse turd with blonde hair
"Would you tell Picasso to sell his guitars?" - Jack Black

Quote by Lt. Shinysides

my dick is generally better than yours, and is more pleasing to look at and hold.
your dick understands and accepts this, and is willing to just move on.
@metalwarrior40: Thanks! Your builds are sweet, can't wait until the walnut RGs are done!

@Mangohabs: I love Charlie Hunter, and like his guitar this one will have a two outputs (one for the bass pickups which are Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounds, and one for the guitar pickups which are a pair of Q-Tuners I had from my other seven string). Only thing I trying to figure out is how I should tune it. Since Charlie is now playing a seven string built by Jeff Traugott tuned like his eight without the high string, should I do the same or tune it like an eight string without the low string so I can more easily play some of his earlier work (i.e. Recess), but have to sacrifice some of his bass work.

@Johansensan: Thanks, but it isn't as pretty as it looks in the pictures. There are many scratches and all the pickup cavities are much larger than they should be, as you'll see (I designed it that way though). I think all guitarists should be afraid of power tools, think of what they can do to your fingers!

Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
I think all guitarists should be afraid of power tools, think of what they can do to your fingers!

+9001

Very, very true.

And thanks, i cant wait till there done either!
Just wish i had the money to buy the stuff for them right now
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by metalwarrior40
+9001

Very, very true.

And thanks, i cant wait till there done either!
Just wish i had the money to buy the stuff for them right now

At a guitar show I met a bassist/luthier who lost most of his right ring finger making a guitar and it made me realize how many people take luthiers for granted. He couldn't play bass for a year after the accident, and having suffered from some tendinitis this year I know how horrible it is not to be able to play. You can get very frustrated while working with wood, and working angry is a horrible idea.

So I gave the body to an artist friend of mine today. Told her to see it as an open canvas and paint whatever she wants on it (far be it from me to get in the way of anyone's artistic vision), we'll see how it comes out I guess. She's a quite a great artist, but occasionally her subject matter isn't my favorite, still I'm not terribly concerned with how the guitar looks.

Just got word that the guitar is done being painted, and is drying. I'm picking it up tomorrow and I'll be sure to post some pictures. Then I get to begin wiring!

Quote by Don't Panic Ok?
Just got word that the guitar is done being painted, and is drying. I'm picking it up tomorrow and I'll be sure to post some pictures. Then I get to begin wiring!

In one day? When I've had my custom guitars painted, it's taken about a month for each of them!
Quote by dandadog
In one day? When I've had my custom guitars painted, it's taken about a month for each of them!

I believe it's a very amateurishly done job, in all honesty I doubt it'll hold up very well (but I'm not concerned about the aesthetic quality of this guitar).

I'm pleasantly surprised to how this turned out! Here are some pictures:

Front:

Front from left side:

Front from right side:

Front from above:

Front again:

Back:

^ The 'Beck' is the last name of a friend of mine who died recently in a car crash and the 'a sunflower' is a reference to a speech my anatomy and physiology teacher made about his life where she used a sunflower as an analogy to human life.

You might have noticed the several clear coats on top of the guitar are a little rough, and the overall finish is very uneven. I've decided to keep that way as it gives the guitar a very passionate feel. This entire modification has been kind off impulse. There hasn't been much planning and the finish helps reflect that. I feel it works very well myself!

If you're wondering what the finish 'is', it's an abstract image of a brain. Since I'm very big into the neuroscience of music my artist friend thought it'd be cool to do a brain.

Wow. Just WOW, nice work.

Perwsonally I dont like the finish defects but still... WOW>.<

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
@michaelbot9000: Thanks! The back isn't supposed to be so messy, most of that can be rectified with some sanding. I only gave the artist a day to do it so it's understandable that it's not so clean.

Honestly I'm not terribly motivated to fix it since it's on the back and this is a working guitar not a show piece, y'know? It's going to get beaten up anyway and when most people see it it'll be being played so they won't see the back much.

@IYanoplathizoI: Thanks! It's actually the work of a friend of mine, I didn't actually paint it. I'll be sure to pass the compliments on to her though!

damn.. that looks amazing... i wish i had someone who could paint some og my guitars like that........
Well unfortunately I won't be able to wire the guitar today as planned, some complications came up. So I'll be sure to do that tomorrow during the world cup games, hopefully I can get it set up and get some clips or video as well.

Anyone else find this unintentionally comical?

Aight so I'm sorry guys. This should have been done two days ago, instead I spent the last two days trying to wire it. Now I got the guitar circuit perfect, but for the life of me I can't seem to correctly wire the bass circuit (which is astonishing since the guitar circuit includes a tele style three way switch, a kill pot, two push/pull pots, two pickups, and an output vs. the bass circuit which is one pickup, one pot, one output).

It's just that there seems to be a messed up ground for the bass side, I get this annoying buzz that dissipates when I touch something metal on the guitar (so I'm assuming it's a ground, but it's definitely not the strings since they've been grounded on the guitar circuit, unless they need to be grounded on the guitar circuit as well?). Additionally I should mention the buzz is only through the bass output.

So I've been using this diagram for the bass without the tone pot and grounding the output to the volume pot (since I don't have a tone pot). Anyone able to help me by chance?

The buzzing is supposed to go away when you touch the guitar, this is why you ground the bridge, that way the buzzing isn't constant.

Don't ground the output, if you're not using the tone just neglect any wires going to the tone pot. Is the ground from your pickups/pots attached to the sleeve (ground) on the jack?

Sweet looking axe. I can't believe I didn't see this earlier.
^ Thanks! It turns out all my grounds are fine. Actually it turned out one of the bridges (since they're individual bridges) wasn't properly grounded so I finally got it today. Took me awhile to troubleshoot though, I had to find a multimeter first and do a lot of testing to discover it.

This was of course after I de-soldered and re-soldered the entire thing like fifteen ****ing times.

So here it is all put together, I'll get more pictures once I have it strung! Thanks for everyone's help!

Pickup cavity shielded:

Control cavity shielded:

Working station:

The guts:

Just needs to be strung:

Last edited by Don't Panic Ok? at Jun 30, 2010,
Awesome looking guitar, your friend did a great job on the painting also, tell 'em I said so plz ok.

Going to post clips!?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
^ Thanks, I'll pass along the compliment!

Once I get it all properly set up (which will be tomorrow when I get some strings) I'll post some clips for sure!

Alright all strung, set up, and intonated!

So... Picture time!

The case (that another of my friends painted for me awhile ago which I used to house a different seven string. That guitar was gutted for this one):

Case detail:

Ibanez? I thought this was an Agile...

Mhmmm!

Family pictures!

So the total specs on the guitar are as follows:

Neck:
# Scale length of 25.5" to 27"
# 3 piece maple neck
# Rosewood fretboard
# 24 Extra Jumbo 2.9mm frets and a 13.7" (350mm)
# Width of the neck at the nut: 1 7/8"; at the 22st fret: 2 3/16"
# Uniform Neck Profile (21.5mm at the first fret and 22mm at the 12th fret)
Body:
# Mahogany body
# Overall length, including the strap button: 41"
Hardware:
# Schaller mini locking tuners
# Schaller strap locks
# Individual bridges
Electronics:
# Q-Tuner medium Z in the neck
# Q-Tuner high Z in the bridge
# Three-way 'tele' style switch
# Master volume kill-pot for Q-Tuners
# Individual push/pull tone pots for neck and bridge Q-Tuners (push/pull for in-phase/out-of-phase and parallel/series respectively)
# Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound P-bass pickups
# Master volume for Quarter Pound pickups
# Individual outputs for Quarter Pound and Q-Tuner pickups