Now, for the most part, we don't sing the songs we cover, but when it's needed, I usually sing, which isn't a big problem when I'm playing rhythm guitar... But on the few when I play lead, I can't keep my rythm whilst singing on key. Any tips to help smooth it out? (The main one we're doing right now is "Life Starts Now" by Three Days Grace.)
"This nightmare's gonna break me.
Please, Daylight, save me..."
Sometimes I mess around singing while practicing... You just have to make sure your fingers know the song really well and can play it without you thinking about it... it's tough though.
Ibanez S520EX ~ Roland Cube 30X ~ Dunlop Tortex 1.0mm
maybe you should play rythm and sing
but if thats not an option make sure you can play your part with out thinking of it and then sing once you got the lead part down
Even though I'm the "lead" guitarist, I have a lot of trouble playing lead and singing lead at the same time, in particular if the lead is at a different rhythm to the vocal line. So I usually play rhythm whilst singing, and get the "rhythm" guitarist to play lead. Easy.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Well, the biggest thing is that that there are two songs we do that don't follow the vocal rhythm (Because the vocalist is only the vocalist) and I was just wondering if you had any tricks. otherwise, I've been doing all that other stuff.
"This nightmare's gonna break me.
Please, Daylight, save me..."
I'd suggest you just need to learn the lead line really well. Learn it so well that you don't have to think about it at all, then you can concentrate on the vocals.
That's kind of tricky, the above advice is correct, however. I've only met like two people in my life that played contradicting melodies, like you're describing. Both had their parts down so well they didn't even have to think about it. Then, they would focus on a drum beat/bass line with their vocals so they didn't get confused.
Check out jayninevideolessons.wordpress.com
Online Video Guitar lessons, ebooks, and so on. This above blog is how you may contact me for more information, or email me at jayninelessons@gmail.com
Most of the people I've seen playing guitar and singing at the same time, are playing rhythm, not lead, and most of them playing a rhythm pretty similar to the one they're singing...but I guess everything can be solved with a lot of practice.
Quote by almosthuman36
Learning sheet music will add to your knowledge of music theory, which will add to your knowledge of writing, which will make your songs sound better, which will make you more popular, which will increase your chances of getting laid.
Quote by Niiko_Xeneize
but I guess everything can be solved with a lot of practice.
Bingo.

You have to practice rhythmic/melodic independence between your hands and your voice. One of the best ways to do this is to make sure you can do both independently very well without even having to think about it, then trying to combine them. It's very difficult at first, but as with anything, practice makes perfect.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea