hey UG, i'm kind of interested to know, how does Zakk Wylde creates random harmonics by using his picking hand to slide across the strings at the bridge area of the guitar ( the area where the pickups are)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SFoBVAecQ8

he does the random harmonics thing at 2:26 in the video. what kind of stuff would i need to create that (maybe overdrive pedals or some sort of stuff like that?)

Thanks guys
Steve Vai rocks. His pinky is almost of the same length of an average 16 year old's middle finger.

I love Schecter
You like Schecter. I won't answer your question.

Meh.

If you hold the pick as if you're doing a pinch harmonic, so your thumb and the pick both hit the string, and pick with that while sliding your left hand across the frets on that string, you'll get that effect. Essentially what your doing is sounding different harmonics as you go. Make sure your left hand doesn't press the frets down, just slide it like playing normal harmonics. Where your right hand hits also makes a difference, because there are different harmonics at different locations on the string. That's the overview on the basic technique that you described, as for what he does there it looks like it might just be a pick slide with hammer-ons, but that would give the same affect of sounding random harmonics when done right. Hope that helps.
i see. i understand what ya trying to say.but i prefer the way Zakk Wylde does it.looks cool and to get that effect Zakk Wylde does, the right hand which is holding the pick should just slide across the strings at the bridge area yeah? then what should the left hand do? cos i've tried that.and what i did was to hammer on fret 3 to 5 on different strings.and there was harmonics generated but it sounded kinda weak and soft.so i was wondering if the problem lies in my gear.

and by the way, haha i'm fine with schecter.but i'm using an Epiphone Les Paul custom.and i kinda prefer that
Steve Vai rocks. His pinky is almost of the same length of an average 16 year old's middle finger.

I love Schecter