hey everbady, i have two questions:
first, should i go for two SD's or two DiMarzios? those are what i want, btw so dont propose anything else. or should i mix?
second, if i were to go with DiMarzio, what's a good neck pickup by them? something comparable to the SH-1 or SH-2.
mucho gracias!
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
air norton by dimarzio is a great neck pup. I prefer Dimarzio pups over SD, namely the Air norton and tone zone.
so do you think i should go for two pups (better overall tone) or one pup and a set of tuners (better bridge tone, better tuning, so-so neck tone)?
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Umm.... I have an SH-6 combo. Sounds great for what I play. Anything from As Blood Runs Black to RHCP. And everything in between. Cleans will almost definitely need a coil split or an output-reducing mod of some sort.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Quote by Dr.Tong
so do you think i should go for two pups (better overall tone) or one pup and a set of tuners (better bridge tone, better tuning, so-so neck tone)?

Well that depends on a number of things. What kind of tuners are already on the guitar, for that matter what guitar are we talking about here? Do you play a lot of leads? If so, I would say that a great neck pup is crucial, at least in my line of work it is. What kind of tremolo is on the guitar? In my opinion, I would go for the pickups. There are a lot of small things you can do to improve tuning stability in a guitar.
ok: Epi LP-100, epiphone tuners, im not in a band but i play both leads and rhythms. no trem
this is my first mod/rebuild thing so im kind of unsure bout some stuff.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
personally I prefer dimarzio's cause all my influences are with them and I dig the Evo pups..but thats just me
Quote by Dr.Tong
ok: Epi LP-100, epiphone tuners, im not in a band but i play both leads and rhythms. no trem
this is my first mod/rebuild thing so im kind of unsure bout some stuff.

well the epi tuners should suffice. If the strings are new they will take a while to settle. You could put some graphite on the nut to help the tuning and also look at Big Bends Nut Sauce, that works well also. So, I would go with the pickups. However, to be truthfully blunt, you can't take a monkey and make it into a supermodel. That means, regardless of the pups you put into that epi, it will still sound inferior to a better built guitar with the same pups. May I recommend saving some cash and buying a new guitar, say an ESP M-II.
well, the whole point of this is to get the experience in building/modding guitars. my original idea was to build from scratch, but seeing as how ive never modded or built a guitar, ive decided to start small. the point of this isnt for a an upgrade on guitars, its for experience and fun. and to make it sound better but obviously not to say Gibson Custom standards.
if i was looking for a new guitar i would agree, except i dont know if ESP makes that model left handed. or if could save up over 1,000$

ALSO: for the pups which of the 4 would you suggest? btw i chose those four because they got some excellent reviews, great tone and theyre reasonably priced.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
Last edited by Dr.Tong at Jun 21, 2010,