So, I played guitar a few years ago, then sold the majority of my stuff to pay for car insurance. Recently, I joined a band and started playing again, so I need to get new gear before we start gigging, and the pedalboard is the last thing I need to get ready. I play post-hardcore and now have a Peavey Vypyr 75 with an Ibanez GRX20, both of which I like.

This is what I have/am planning on getting. If you think something is better than what I have listed, then by all means, tell me. That's why I posted.

HAVE:

Boss DS-1 & Boss CH-1 - Both for cleaner portions of the music, using the Clean Fender Twin model on my Vypyr. I'm actually just going to put a piece of wood over the two of them, because I'm only going to use them together.

Sanpera I (was free with a rebate, plan on using it for controlling amp presets and nothing else, I don't like multi-effects pedals)

BUYING:

Pedalboard: Need help here. I just want something that's reliable and has power cords already attached (six of them, more specifically) so I don't have to buy one for every single pedal or keep buying 9 Volts. I don't even care if all of the pedals would fit on the thing.

Overdrive: Ibanez TS-9 - I know there's a Keely mod for this, does it make it that much better? (I actually don't plan on getting this immediately since there is a Tube Screamer in the Vypyr 75, but just for future reference)

EQ: MXR 10 Band EQ - EQ most recommended to me, seemed easy enough to use at GC.

Tuner: GFT 90 (no MF link) - People tell me it's accurate, reliable, and cheap. That's all I want from a tuner.

Delay: DL-4 - Still sort of debating whether to get this or the Boss DD-20, if someone could provide insight it'd be very welcome.

Noise Gate: ISP Decimator - It's pricey, but it loses less tone that the other pedal I was considering (NS-2).

Planned Set-Up:

DS-1 & CH-1 (piece of wood over these two) -> TS-9 -> DL-4 -> MXR 10 Band -> ISP Decimator -> GFT 90 -> Amp

Just putting the order here in case something I don't know about would go completely and catastrophically wrong.

On a not completely un-related note, does anyone know a good online retailer where I could buy the stuff I mentioned used? eBay is a pain in the ass, Amazon doesn't have a good selection, and my area's Craigslist sucks, so please don't say any of those.

Thanks for reading/(hopefully) posting advice.
Gear:
Guitars: ESP/LTD EC-400, Ibanez GRX20, Washburn D-10 M/TWR
Amp: Peavey Vypyr 75
Pedals: Digitech Whammy, Boss DS-1, Boss CH-1, Sanpera I

YDG!?
For the tuner: get the Boss TU-3 or TC Electronic Polytune. They're both wicked.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
You don't like any of the built in effects on the Vypyr at all?

If it was me, I'd get one of these boards and use a BBE Supa Charger or (if money is a serious consideration) Visual Sound 1Spot to power it.

The MXR ten band and ISP decimator are fantastic, I own both and I'm quite happy with them. I have a GFT 90 tuner and it's great for the money, but not the fastest tuner I've used. STill not a bad choice though.
If you're ruling out eBay because it's "a pain in the ass", then you're making a serious mistake. All the gear I've ever bought has been off eBay, and I've had no problems with any of it. The prices you can get some items for are sensational: I bought my Hardwire TL-2 for £38, which is like half the price of it new.

But if you really have deep internal problems with eBay, try looking in your local paper's classified sections, or maybe on PGS. I would mention GAK but it's a UK company and I'm not sure if they do overseas shipping.
Fender Lite Ash --> TC Polytune --> Digitech Whammy V --> MXR Phase 90 --> EHX Small Clone --> Strymon Orbit --> TC Flashback X4 --> Rivera R55
The TU-3 and Polytune are both more expensive, and cost is a main consideration for the tuner, so I think I'll stick with that unless they have something special I don't know about.

And I do like some of the built-in effects on the Vypyr (mainly the Tube Screamer, which is why I'm not buying the TS-9 for a while), but the Delay is mediocre, and everything else I'm getting isn't on the Vypyr.

The Pedalboards Atomic mentioned look good, but is there any cheap-ish power supply that doesn't look like a cheap power strip?

And I'm not completely ruling out eBay, but I've had so many problems with it recently that I just don't want to have to deal with eBay.
Gear:

YDG!?
Quote by YDG?
Sanpera I (was free with a rebate, plan on using it for controlling amp presets and nothing else, I don't like multi-effects pedals)
This and buying a Vypyr do not compute. You should consider getting a different amp.
Quote by YDG?
The TU-3 and Polytune are both more expensive, and cost is a main consideration for the tuner, so I think I'll stick with that unless they have something special I don't know about.

And I do like some of the built-in effects on the Vypyr (mainly the Tube Screamer, which is why I'm not buying the TS-9 for a while), but the Delay is mediocre, and everything else I'm getting isn't on the Vypyr.

The Pedalboards Atomic mentioned look good, but is there any cheap-ish power supply that doesn't look like a cheap power strip?

And I'm not completely ruling out eBay, but I've had so many problems with it recently that I just don't want to have to deal with eBay.

Neither of the supplies I mentioned look like a power strip

If you go with the LYT board you can hide the supply away under half of the tier anyway.

You could look at the new Planet Waves Tru-strobe for a tuner too. It's accurate to 0.1 cents and it's available for around 75 dollars I think. It is a strobe style tuner though, so it can take a while to adjust to if you aren't used to it.
yeah i'd look into getting a new guitar and amp before you start spending money on effects that won't really do much for you. playing them through the spider is still going to sound like crap even if they're really good effects. same goes for your guitar. I would suggest getting a better amp and starting from there.
fly: Why? I like the Vypyr, I'm making presets, I just need some better effects. I dislike multi-effects pedals because they're usually not high quality and they're hard to use.

Atomic: I like the board, I'll probably get one of the ones you mentioned, but I thought the 1SPOT was a power strip (my mistake). Still, though, the power supply is a little pricey; is there anything under $100 that won't fry pedals or buzz a lot?
And I still think I'll stick with the GFT 90 for a tuner. It's cheaper, and the display would be great in low-light areas (which I will most likely be playing in, we don't have any lighting).

handbanana: My guitar is fine, it's cheap, but I've modded it so it sounds good (Seymour Duncan JBs, new output, Elixir Nanoweb strings, good tremolo bar). And I don't have my Spider any more, I have a Vypyr 75 (which, by the way, is a couple thousand times better than the Spider I had)
Gear:

YDG!?
Last edited by YDG? at Jun 21, 2010,
the vypyr is better than the spider, but still not all that great really, it's still an entry level amp
True, but I can make it sound good and I don't need anything much better. I'm not in a signed band or anything big, so my Vypyr should suffice.
Gear:

YDG!?
Quote by YDG?

Atomic: I like the board, I'll probably get one of the ones you mentioned, but I thought the 1SPOT was a power strip (my mistake). Still, though, the power supply is a little pricey; is there anything under $100 that won't fry pedals or buzz a lot?

Here's the BBE for under 100 if it interests you. http://www.amazon.com/BBE-Charger-Output-Performance-Supply/dp/B001DL6W0W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1277153100&sr=8-1
That does interest me. Very much so.

But, here are my questions:
1. I know different pedals use different cords, isolated, 9V, etc., so does the BBE support all of the pedals I listed?
2. The DC Brick is cheaper on eBay, does it do the above? I also heard it buzzes a little, is that true?
Gear:

YDG!?
Quote by YDG?
That does interest me. Very much so.

But, here are my questions:
1. I know different pedals use different cords, isolated, 9V, etc., so does the BBE support all of the pedals I listed?
2. The DC Brick is cheaper on eBay, does it do the above? I also heard it buzzes a little, is that true?

The MXR ten band EQ runs at 18v, so you'd need to use a specual cable to connect two of the BBE's 9v outs in series. Other than that it will power all of the effects you listed, with the DL4 needing to be run with one of the supplied red (reverse polarity) cables and everything else juse being connected normally.

The DC brick does not have isolated outputs, so you run the risk of getting ground loop hum.
Thanks for the help! From what you've said, it looks like the BBE is the better option, so hopefully I'll be picking that up when I get my next paycheck.

Can anyone comment on the DL4 vs. DD-20? Or the TS-9 Keely Mod?
Gear:

YDG!?
The vypyr is not going to take any kidn of dirt pedal well. If you don't like the distort/OD sound, you will need to look into another amp.

EQ: The 10 band is fine. The mxr 6 band is also find.

Tuner: The GFT is fantastic. This is the tuner I use, and I highly recommend it.

Delay: Are you sure you want to go digital? Have you looked into entry level analog delay? Check out the EHX memory toy. Do you need a million delay settings? A more basic delay like a dd3 would be fine. The DL4 is a decent delay, but not very well constructed. I've heard that the newer ones are better made ,but cannot confirm.

Why do you need a noise gate? You shouldn't really be having noise issues with a low watt vypyr..

And Ebay is a fantastic option. You need keep track of the sellers score and feedback, and use some common sense, but there is no reason it needs ot be a pain in the ass.

Edit: A few things I forgot. You can build a board super easily. All you really need to pay for is velcro. If not, I would get something cheap and light.

Get a power supply separately. You can probably get away with a one spot. Otherwise, the BBE super charger is the cheapest isolated power supply.
Don't get anything like gator or dunlop, they are overpriced daisy chains with fuse protection
Last edited by denied at Jun 22, 2010,
I was planning on using the TS-9 as more of an OD/Boost than a dirt, would that be a problem? It worked well with the 6505 I tried at GC...

I have looked into analog delay, but from what I've seen, the good ones are VERY expensive, and the entry-level ones are very basic. I want something in the middle of that, so it's not too expensive, but has a good amount of versatility. That being said, I might settle for a DD-3 or DD-7 just for the sake of price.

I don't need a noise gate for the amp, I need it for the pedals. They tend to buzz unexpectedly or if I turn the levels up high enough, so I just want to eliminate the buzz before it hits the amp.

And for eBay, out of the last 10 items I bought, I had to contact eBay/PayPal on 3 of them, and the last thing I sold, I lost $200 because someone returned an item saying it wasn't as described (it was), and it came back broken. Giant eBay dispute there, turned out that (as always) eBay ruled in the buyer's favor. The item was broken, they got a full refund, and on top of that, they left negative feedback because I wouldn't pay for return shipping, which the returns policy said was their responsibility. So I got completely and totally screwed up the ass on that deal, and it's kind of soured me on the eBay experience.
Gear:

YDG!?
Ebay: i bought almost all of my stuff, saved hundreds if not thousands over the years, don't let a bad experience keep you from using it, I've never had a bad experience, you were just unlucky

Vypyr 75: no effects loop. Not good considering you want a delay and eq pedal. I put those in the loop, in front of the amp good luck, they will work but probably not ideal.

EQ: mxr 10 band is overkill, 6 band will do you just fine, but I'm not loving the mxr in front of your amp, belongs in the loop of a better amp

OD: I recommend maxon or fulltone over ibanez. I wouldn't even bother with an od pedal until you have a tube amp.

Tuner: I love the hardwire tuner from digitech, can't imagine a better tuner

BBE supa charga is the best! I have one and if you need any special connections that it doesn't offer go here, they have everything and for cheap: http://www.stompin-ground.com

Overall, I just don't think buying all of these pedals is ideal for you current amp. They are good choices for a tube amp with an effects loop though. If that is your ultimate goal then I guess it won't hurt to have the pedals at the ready.
Peavey XXX 40efx
Schecter C1+ (sd 59bA4 neck/sd Custom8 Bridge)
Washburn Idol WI45(AirNorton/CrunchLab)

ESP/LTD Viper 300(EMG81b,89n)
Boss SD-1, Crybaby, MXR 6-band EQ,
Digitech DL-8 Delay Looper, SupaCharga
Last edited by fnichols1 at Jun 22, 2010,
^ I use a 15 band EQ and don't think it's overkill. It depends on how much control you want over your tone.

OP, have you tried the Vypyr Tube 60? It sounds better than the 75, IMO.

As far as a power supply, the BBE is good. Also maybe the T-Rex Fueltank or the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by fnichols1
Ebay: i bought almost all of my stuff, saved hundreds if not thousands over the years, don't let a bad experience keep you from using it, I've never had a bad experience, you were just unlucky

Vypyr 75: no effects loop. Not good considering you want a delay and eq pedal. I put those in the loop, in front of the amp good luck, they will work but probably not ideal.

EQ: mxr 10 band is overkill, 6 band will do you just fine, but I'm not loving the mxr in front of your amp, belongs in the loop of a better amp

OD: I recommend maxon or fulltone over ibanez. I wouldn't even bother with an od pedal until you have a tube amp.

Tuner: I love the hardwire tuner from digitech, can't imagine a better tuner

BBE supa charga is the best! I have one and if you need any special connections that it doesn't offer go here, they have everything and for cheap: http://www.stompin-ground.com

Overall, I just don't think buying all of these pedals is ideal for you current amp. They are good choices for a tube amp with an effects loop though. If that is your ultimate goal then I guess it won't hurt to have the pedals at the ready.

I've had many, many problems with eBay over the years. But I guess I will have to go back eventually...

I was a little concerned about the EQ being in front of the amp. I've never tried it before, but I thought it might work. From what you said, though, I might hold off on getting it for a while. I've used delay in front of an amp with no problems, though.

As for the OD, I'm just going to use the Tube Screamer that's on the Vypyr for now. The TS-9 is just for reference further down the line.

I do intend to get a tube eventually (6505), but I got my Vypyr very cheap ($240, no shipping or tax), and it was a good deal, so I went for it. I intended to buy a 6505 combo before that, but I had some unexpected bills and it didn't work out. Still hoping to get one in the future, though.

Quote by Raijouta
OP, have you tried the Vypyr Tube 60? It sounds better than the 75, IMO.

As far as a power supply, the BBE is good. Also maybe the T-Rex Fueltank or the Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+.

I have tried the Vypyr 60 Tube, but it was out of my price range at the time I bought the Vypyr 75. I got mine for $240, so the Tube 60 would've been almost twice as much.

And it looks like I'll be going with the BBE Supa Charger. Nobody's said anything bad about it, it can handle all the pedals, and everyone likes it.
Gear:

YDG!?
Quote by YDG?

And it looks like I'll be going with the BBE Supa Charger. Nobody's said anything bad about it, it can handle all the pedals, and everyone likes it.

It's a great unit. The only downside I've ever found to it is that it lacks a courtesy outlet, like the Voodoo labs units have, and that can be a pain if you ever get any pedals that require their own power supply.

I used a LYT 32 and BBE supa charger in my main setup for a long time with no problems, now I still use the LYT board, but recently switched over to a ModTone Power Plant for the AC outlet and its ability to power a Whammy pedal. The BBE is still going strong though.
Last edited by Atomic Punk'd at Jun 22, 2010,