Anyone have any thoughts on the Peavey Valveking series? I specifically have my eye on the VK212 combo. I'll be gigging with it playing strictly modern rock/pop/punk.
Greg
Guitarist, Twisted Nut - CT Modern Rock Cover Band
I'm looking at valvekings as well. replacing my Laney VC15 because I want something more powerful/with bigger speakers. one 10 inch isn't enough really.

I would also appreciate any thoughts on them.
Personally, i'm not a big fan.
IMHO there are better options for the price, like the Laney LC50, Marshall MA100C, Fender Hot Rod/Blues Deluxe, Bugera 333XL...
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Are there any orange amps that are comparable to those you mentioned above? What about VOX ac30 as well?
Quote by dannyyy
Are there any orange amps that are comparable to those you mentioned above? What about VOX ac30 as well?

The Orange Rocker 30.
However, it's not an amp for everyone. But definitely worth to try.

The VOX AC30 is also a nice amp.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
Personally, i'm not a big fan.
IMHO there are better options for the price, like the Laney LC50, Marshall MA100C, Fender Hot Rod/Blues Deluxe, Bugera 333XL...

Thanks, but what specifically did you not like about it? Also the Marshall is not quite in the same price range being $250 more. I'll give the others a look though.
Greg
Valvekings require some modification to get the good sound...

IF you're going to buy a valveking, go for the 112. You'll need to replace the speakers on either, otherwise it just doesn't cut it.

If you don't want to modify your amp, go for the Bugera. (I realise this, coming from a VK owner, sounds odd.)
Ceci n'est pas une signature.
Leaning towards the Blackstar HT-60 which is in the same class as this amp. A bit more, but gets high praise out of the box compared to the Valvekings. Thoughts?
Greg
Quote by PsiGuy60
Valvekings require some modification to get the good sound...

IF you're going to buy a valveking, go for the 112. You'll need to replace the speakers on either, otherwise it just doesn't cut it.

If you don't want to modify your amp, go for the Bugera. (I realise this, coming from a VK owner, sounds odd.)

No, this sounds about right. VK owners know that it takes some work to get a really great sound out of one and some people just aren't willing to mod.
Quote by Helicopters!
No, this sounds about right. VK owners know that it takes some work to get a really great sound out of one and some people just aren't willing to mod.

I don't know about "really great", but you can definitely get them to sound far better than they are with a few modest upgrades.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I don't know about "really great", but you can definitely get them to sound far better than they are with a few modest upgrades.

One of the most modest and one of the best upgrades being an equalizer, which is more of an 'add-on' than an upgrade.

If you're not interested in alot of tinkering with your sound, OP, I'd recommend looking into something else. The VK212 is pretty overpriced for what it is, in my opinion, especially when it comes with two pretty muddy speakers.

For rock/pop/punk stuff, you might wanna look into Blackstar, but I'm not a real big fan of their distortion sound either. See if you can find a used Peavey XXX or Ultra Plus, that'll really do what you want.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
^ Don't forget tightening up the loose low end with a clean boost like the Bad Monkey or Hardwire overdrive.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by Raijouta
One of the most modest and one of the best upgrades being an equalizer, which is more of an 'add-on' than an upgrade.

If you're not interested in alot of tinkering with your sound, OP, I'd recommend looking into something else. The VK212 is pretty overpriced for what it is, in my opinion, especially when it comes with two pretty muddy speakers.

For rock/pop/punk stuff, you might wanna look into Blackstar, but I'm not a real big fan of their distortion sound either. See if you can find a used Peavey XXX or Ultra Plus, that'll really do what you want.

Hmm. A local Guitar Center has a used VK100 head for $299. Didn't play it, but it got me thinking on the way home. So I took a look on Craigslist and found some nice cabs to pair it with. A couple Peavey XXXs and one Marshall 1960 for a seemingly ridiculous low price ($350, supposedly mint.)

Any thoughts on the VK100 head with a 412 cab? It seems this biggest complaint on the Valveking combos is the speakers so does this seem like a good alternative (I unserstand it's more of a PIA to move around)?
Greg