the question:

i have an old beat acoustic, and i have a spare humbucker, is it worth combining the two?? i imagine a nasty dirty blues sound.

so how do i wire this? i dont trust my wiring/soldering skills therefore i imagine a barrel jack to be the most secure not one of those cheap little stubby ones, do i really need a volume pot? can i just wire the humbucker straight to the jack? do i need to ground??

but hey, so its my first post, suppose i'll give a little background to myself:

playing: almost 10 years
gear: japanese 1986 fender tele, japanese 1982 ibanez artist (with rio grande p/u's), richwood full bodied semi, 1966 framus small bodied acoustic.

fender hot rod deluxe 40w all valve
marshall 100w valvestate (disrepair!)

pedals: artec delay, boss chorus, boss od3, vs2 compression/sustainer.
And with that single list of gear, all the 14 year old on the site are now crying into their pillows.

Now, to the question: you CAN wire the pickup directly to the jack, but you probably shouldn't. You need to ground the pickup, and this is usually on the bridge.

Check out this wiring diagram:

Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Hey

I've done exactly what you're saying, I had this beat up old classical full of holes and scratches, a spare tele-style bridge with pickup, and an old pair of jeans.

I did this an about 1 hour in my free time, and it was worth it.

I removed the bridge with a screwdriver and a hammer, and then made a hole with those same tools to fit the bridge

I wired it reaaaaly simple, pickup to volume to jack, connecting the earth to the bridge.

I fit some electric tuners i had around.

Then i got the jeans, ripped it up, and with PVA glue in hand proceeded to cover the entire body with it

The result? A really awesome-sounding guitar plugged and unplugged into the amp, capable of THE most SICK blues

Hope this encourages you!!
And since this is also my first or second post, i'll list my gear too:

Guitars:
Hand Made - Tele, Strat, Les Paul, Les Paul Junior Fretless, PRS
Washburn DD-60 Maya
Audition 60's Electric (vintage)
Aria MAC-40 with Evolution bridge and PAF Joe neck
5 acoustics
A 1890 classical

Basses:
Stagg - modifying
Tanglewood Warrior III FH Semihollow

Amp:
Randall G2 75W - A beast

Effects :
MXR -6band EQ, Blue Box, Super Compressor.
BOSS - Delay DD-7
Morley - Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Electroharmonix - Worm, Doctor-Q.
Danelectro - Milkshake Chorus
Jim Dunlop - Univibe
Digitech - GNX3000
Volume Pedal )

One might notice that I'm a tad obsessed.......
Quote by seemeel

Now, to the question: you CAN wire the pickup directly to the jack, but you probably shouldn't. You need to ground the pickup, and this is usually on the bridge.

in an electric guitar, everything (even the bridge) is grounded to the sleeve lug of the jack, which is grounded in the amp's circuit, which is grounded via the neutral and ground prongs of the line cord, which is grounded in the service panel, which is grounded in the dirt outside your house.

in other words, the bridge isnt where the ground return comes from. It's grounded to kill noise when you play. TS will be fine.
Quote by toomanyguitarss
Hey

I've done exactly what you're saying, I had this beat up old classical full of holes and scratches, a spare tele-style bridge with pickup, and an old pair of jeans.

I did this an about 1 hour in my free time, and it was worth it.

I removed the bridge with a screwdriver and a hammer, and then made a hole with those same tools to fit the bridge

I wired it reaaaaly simple, pickup to volume to jack, connecting the earth to the bridge.

I fit some electric tuners i had around.

Then i got the jeans, ripped it up, and with PVA glue in hand proceeded to cover the entire body with it

The result? A really awesome-sounding guitar plugged and unplugged into the amp, capable of THE most SICK blues

Hope this encourages you!!

pics?
so would the bridge need to be grounded in an acoustic? i have an extra humbucker id like to try this with
if i did have all my gear in my sig, id have to change it weekly

"I tried to talk to you and you just kept playing"
"Well why didn't you pull out your boobies?"
"You were busy, I didn't think that would matter."
"Boobies always matter, always."
Quote by z28_dad
so would the bridge need to be grounded in an acoustic? i have an extra humbucker id like to try this with
Guitars never specifically NEED to be grounded, it's just usually better if you do as it prevents any fields behind you from affecting the pickup when you touch the strings. Be sure the cabes are shielded on the pickup though (or put some round it), as you won't be able to shield the inside like you would an electric guitar.
Last edited by pot head pyro at Jun 28, 2010,
you cant ground a wooden bridge. if you have a metal saddle, you can put a wire under that and ground it. otherwise you're pretty much out of luck, short of wrapping a bare wire around all 6 strings at the saddle.

you dont HAVE to ground the strings though.