question,

i hear all the time people plugging a line 6 POD or something similar directly into a Pa and gigging.

i do not understand this. i understand getting FX or multi FX to help color your amp (especially tube amp) sound, but how can an effect replace an amplifer? i understand it has amp "models" but how you say tehy are better than the real thing?

and even if they sound good, they dont have the natural drive and responsiveness that playing through a live tube.

a quality amp is most of your sound, so why do people replace that huge factor with a 500 dollar effects system and think its just as good?
Tbh, im not sure its a matter of 'Thinking its equivalent or better' but more a case of having so many different tone choices and effects, on the go, in something about 10 cm big (: (And you can pick them up dirt cheap if you look around )
This is a silly thread....

There are lots of reasons people might do this...
Ease of transport, ease of setup, versatility, multiple effects in one stomp, low maintenance rig, etc....etc...I could go on and on.

Is it better? No, not necessarily.

Is it as good as "the real thing"? Just a matter of opinion,
Ah, ****!
Good God, God lovin',
So surprised to find you can't stop me, now.

But it's up to THAT person, if any particular trade offs are worth the difference in rigs. Just because YOU don't see the value in it doesn't mean they shouldn't.
1 word: COST.

I agree that it's a poor substitute. Having said that, if you loving playing live but can't afford a decent amp, then a multi-fx pedal will work in the interim, and good on you for giving it a go anyway.

I daresay that once they can afford it, most people will get a decent amp. I played for seven years before I got a proper amp - Marshall TSL100 stack.

What I disagree with is that people would claim that these pedals are better than the real thing. That seems highly unlikely. Evidence?

It sounds like you're being a bit bitter, and having a bit of a whinge. Honestly, people aren't hurting you by playing through effects straight into a mixer. Cheer up dude, let it be.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
It's not just as good, but good enough. I hate dragging my equipment around, up stairs, down stairs, and all over. Then hooking everything up, adjust my mike, replace cables and batteries, look where that buzz is coming from and so on and so on......and all that so that the 3 other guitarists in the crowd can criticize my setup, where the other 99% of the crowd can't tell the difference. Or I just plug in one piece of equipment, get a pretty decent sound and can have fun playing. And when you're done and hyped up you don't have the stress of cleaning all your gear and putting it away for the next gig. You can go straight to the free beer and chicks. That's why we do this, right?
Arguing on the Internet is a lot like being in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you're still retarded
cost is a big factor. but most choose this route, especially when they are recording their tracks, as it is simpler to run your multi-effects into the mixer, than trying to tote a big-ass amp into the studio, and then fight with mic'ing it, and then the volume they wish to record may not cooperate with the volume the amp is designed to play at.

simply put, it's just simpler.
sometimes you have to

like when you're living in an apartment with neighbors who are gifted(cursed actually)with dog years...I just plug headphones to my multifx and play along..
Quote by Jesus_Dean
It's not just as good, but good enough. I hate dragging my equipment around, up stairs, down stairs, and all over. Then hooking everything up, adjust my mike, replace cables and batteries, look where that buzz is coming from and so on and so on......and all that so that the 3 other guitarists in the crowd can criticize my setup, where the other 99% of the crowd can't tell the difference. Or I just plug in one piece of equipment, get a pretty decent sound and can have fun playing. And when you're done and hyped up you don't have the stress of cleaning all your gear and putting it away for the next gig. You can go straight to the free beer and chicks. That's why we do this, right?

yep, that's the gospel truth, bro!
Quote by Jesus_Dean
And when you're done and hyped up you don't have the stress of cleaning all your gear and putting it away for the next gig. You can go straight to the free beer and chicks. That's why we do this, right?

This.

There's a certain something to be said for having a great big stack up on stage (chicks love big amps! ), but at the end of the day, it's up to the individual. I personally would not gig without my Marshall stack (unless it was a small gig) but if you can get the sound you like from a little box instead of a huge rig, then good on you.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
well i suppose those are good reasons. however in a live scenario if you dont have the right PA, or one good enough well your guitar goes down the drain.

i mean i suppose if your band has a quality Pa with the right watts and jacks to run a guitar and 2-3 mics etc etc fine.

but if everything is budget, including the bands gear and you have a tiny half-a*s PA, running the guitar through FXs and all the vocals etc i think would sound like garbage.
Quote by ikey_
a quality amp is most of your sound, so why do people replace that huge factor with a 500 dollar effects system and think its just as good?
This is the kind of thinking that leads to people spending lots of money buying equipment instead of practicing. Talent is a what makes you sound good. You can't buy it and it's hard to get. S**tty player sound s**tty on good gear and good players sound good on bad gear.
Quote by fly135
This is the kind of thinking that leads to people spending lots of money buying equipment instead of practicing. Talent is a what makes you sound good. You can't buy it and it's hard to get. S**tty player sound s**tty on good gear and good players sound good on bad gear.

very true.
im not talking about the playing, im talking about tone. the playing is a given.
Modelling has come a long way.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Quote by ikey_
im not talking about the playing, im talking about tone. the playing is a given.
I've heard great tone out of multifx. You just can't recognize it if the playing is crap.
Quote by ikey_
question,

i hear all the time people plugging a line 6 POD or something similar directly into a Pa and gigging.

i do not understand this. i understand getting FX or multi FX to help color your amp (especially tube amp) sound, but how can an effect replace an amplifer? i understand it has amp "models" but how you say tehy are better than the real thing?

and even if they sound good, they dont have the natural drive and responsiveness that playing through a live tube.

How do you know they don't have a natural drive and responsiveness? Have you used one live? Stuff like the AxeFX definitely does. Most modelers nowadays are pretty decent, and have been "good" for quite a while.
Weight.

Also, I could bring my JSX and rely on the sound guy to turn the sound it's putting out into something vaguely similar coming out of the PA, or I could just plug in my X3 Live and know what I'm getting every time.
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

well i suppose more or less its turning into a multi-effects vs regualr amp + effects...just worded a different way.

ok. well i understand consistancy. going from an XLR right into PA will not change. however, what about at home use? you better have a darn good sound systme or own a PA to play at home right?
Quote by ikey_
well i suppose more or less its turning into a multi-effects vs regualr amp + effects...just worded a different way.

ok. well i understand consistancy. going from an XLR right into PA will not change. however, what about at home use? you better have a darn good sound systme or own a PA to play at home right?

Either use some monitors with a power amp, or into headphones.

Some people go into their DAW then out through monitors too.
They do it because by the time you throw in a few effects and blast the volume at a small club with crap acoustics only guitar players will ever notice the difference anyway. Gigging musicians are trying to sell t-shirts, not please losers who have nothing better to do than complain about the tonal qualities of amp models.
i use a pod. i'd rather have a dual rec, but do i have a grand to buy it, a cabinet, and all the necessary recording gear that i'd need to record it? nope
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
I'd rather have 4-6 knobs on a single channel amp than spend even 30 seconds ****ing around with multieffects presets.

But that's just me.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by odewire
Either use some monitors with a power amp, or into headphones.

Some people go into their DAW then out through monitors too.

i probably do this 90% of the time i play in my appartment, which is where i usually play.

fact of the matter is, with some good software i can do more than i ever need. for $1000 (not including a computer) i can have an awesome setup that is probably just as good or better than most of the amp setups i see people using. heck, throw out the moniters and you could buy a laptop to use the setup for live use. and you would have to have a ton of amps and effects to have the versitility i have, litterally, at my fingertips.

yeah, sure, i might lose a bit of the responsiveness of playing a tube amp. but with the models out there, it gets pretty close and is responsive. it sounds good, is easy to use, is easy to setup, gives a ton of options, and just plain works.

yes, i prefer to use my amps. but i dont feel like i am sacrificing anything when i dont.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
I'd rather have 4-6 knobs on a single channel amp than spend even 30 seconds ****ing around with multieffects presets.

But that's just me.

Yeah, but for the people doing shows that require multiple amps and a big pedal board it’s not that simple. My neighborhood in Manhattan is full of guitarists who have to walk to and from gigs. That’s really not doable with with a big head, a big cabinet, a pedalboard, cables, backup gear, etc. But they can slip a good modeling system into the pocket on a gig bag.
Quote by jpnyc
Yeah, but for the people doing shows that require multiple amps and a big pedal board it’s not that simple. My neighborhood in Manhattan is full of guitarists who have to walk to and from gigs. That’s really not doable with with a big head, a big cabinet, a pedalboard, cables, backup gear, etc. But they can slip a good modeling system into the pocket on a gig bag.

Totally agreed.

I'm not knocking it, it's just not for me since I have a pretty narrow tonal range I operate in.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Playing into headphones isn't the same as playing into an amp. Playing into monitors is better but often lacks the feel depending on the monitors and modeler.
Quote by GURREN LAGANN
Playing into headphones isn't the same as playing into an amp. Playing into monitors is better but often lacks the feel depending on the monitors and modeler.

Yeah, but at 2:00 in the morning my headphones won’t have the cops at my door
I agree about cost, versatility, and all that stuff.

And for me personally, I didn't know what sound I wanted for the first few years of playing. It let me sample all the sounds and find what sound I wanted, while also figuring out my primary genre that I will play.
Quote by jpnyc
Yeah, but at 2:00 in the morning my headphones won’t have the cops at my door

I generally don't feel like doing it at 2:00 in the morning. On the odd occasion I do, I put it through my monitors at low volume. Nobody's complained.