Okay so I'm pretty sure I've beaten this horse on the forum before but I can't get this out of my head and am really just looking for opinions. Pay no attention to the title of the thread. I'm only using Jack Johnson as an example. A friend that I play guitar with, who is an unbelievable guitarist, much better than me and probably could have gone professional continues to bring this argument up with me. As we all know there is more than one way, for most techniques, to get the job done. He is a very technical player and believes you HAVE to perform a technique only one way and that is by the textbook. I know, it's strange for someone this good to believe that. Anyway let's talk about this percussive slapping and use Jack Johnson's "Flake" as an example. I've seen Johnson play this song live twice! And I'm convinced and likely always will be that Johnson lifts the fingers on his fretting hand on the strum for the slap. For those of you who know the song the chord progression in the verse is:

Dm, F, Bb, F and on the last verse before the chorus Dm, F, Bb, C (I think).

And you probably know they are all barre chords.

Ok so now the strumming pattern is:

D U D U U U D U

And continues like this for every chord change. The third strum (downstrum) in bold and red is where the slap comes in. My friend swears that the only way to perform this is to allow your palm on the picking hand to hit the strings first before you rake the pick across, however if you momentarily lift the pressure on your fretting hand, thereby muting all the strings, you can perform the slap without disturbing the strumming pattern at all. So, where am I wrong? I'm pretty sure this is how Jack Johnson does it since I've seen it. I understand this post may be downright dumb but if an absolute beginner reads it I believe they could learn a lot from it and especially the responses.

Ibanez SGT520VS Sage Series Acoustic
Yamaha FG720S-12 12 String Acoustic
Schecter C-1 Classic
Crate Flexwave FW65 Combo Amp
Quote by rolandgunner
You have to hit the with your right hand, so that they touch the fretboard, which makes that "cha" sound. I always do this with my (curled) fingers...

I've never had to hit the fretboard to get the "cha" sound, I may be doing it wrong, but I've always just muted all of the strings, and just strum them like normal. That always sounded alright for me.
Quote by leg end

"Roses are red,
Violets are bitchin'
Goddammit woman,
get back in the kitchen"