Some recent pedal purchases and mods

First up is, at first glance, just a fairly modern GE-7. On closer inspection you'll notice the blue LED indicating somebody has been inside

Basically, this pedal has had a major overhaul from the guys at Pedal Mods UK, including opamps replaced with audio grade components (Burr Brown and NE5532s), tantalum and paper caps replaced with metal film caps etc. The input frequency has even been widen to improve the sound.

All I can say is, its amazing. Before, the unit generated noise before you even touched the sliders, now its very close to silent, and to make things even better, I can now make quite substantial cuts and boosts without any added noise/hiss.

Before the mod, this pedal also used to cause a noticeable drop in volume sitting in an effects loop but im pleased to say this is no longer the case.

Definitely a worthwhile mod, a good EQ is a mainstay in your effects loop if you want to dial in seriously good distortion on your amp.

Next up is something a bit special. Basically, its a V1 (CO-1) Cool Cat Drive overdrive (the famous Fulltone OCD exact clone) pedal, housed in a rugged Hammond 1950b case with 3PDT true bypass.

This thing sounds amazing, A/B next to the Fulltone OCD it is absolutely identical (as you would expect from the identical components and circuitry) so not a lot really to say about this one that hasn't already been said about the Fulltone!

The housing is pretty good though, a definite improvement over the Dan Electro box with its retarded design (knobs round the back!).

Added the Custom script logo myself from a waterslide decal

So ja, im a happy chappy at the moment. I finally have a totally usable and excellent quality EQ and my rhythm sound has never been tigher thanks to the Fullclones (© excellent lead boost.
Last edited by Wesbanez at Jun 22, 2010,
What did the GE-7 mod cost you?
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
congrats on the pedals.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
I looked at this thread a minute ago and didn't even realise it was you Ollie!
Good to see you've got some awesome pedals. How much did the "fullclone" cost?
Wow you mounted the pedal guts on the back plate and not in the enclosure? How did that work out?

HNPD!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I didn't mount squat on anything, that was the previous owners design. Don't really see what the fuss is about though, i've opened it up and theres no problems whatsoever accessing anything, plus I think the screws look pretty cool on top

The "Fullclone" was about £40, those V1 units are getting rarer! Its obviously a really nice OD, great classic tones and I think I prefer it to my old TS9 and even the TS808 when used as a boost/tightener for broots.
Nice with the GE-7. I've just picked one up to do the Monte Allums mod to. Tis a pretty good pedal stock but I'm hoping for big things once modified. I'm glad you're happy with yours.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
That Fullclone looks badass, all it needs now is barbed wire. HNPD!
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Congrats on the pedals, but you're way off on the V1 CCOD which is a clone of the Paul Cochrane Timmy, not a Fulltone OCD. Congrats though!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Congrats on the pedals, but you're way off on the V1 CCOD which is a clone of the Paul Cochrane Timmy, not a Fulltone OCD. Congrats though!

Sorry, but no. The Cool Cat Drive V1 IS the OCD clone, you are thinking of the Transparent Overdrive which is the Timmy clone
Derp, you're right. I really need to read more thoroughly.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Wesbanez
I didn't mount squat on anything, that was the previous owners design. Don't really see what the fuss is about though, i've opened it up and theres no problems whatsoever accessing anything, plus I think the screws look pretty cool on top

No fuss. As long as you can access the stuff in there and it isn't shorting its fine. Just an interesting thing to see.

Edit: Wait a minute, there IS fuss. Your jacks are wired into the actual enclosure and the pots and switch are on the lid, so when you open it up you have to desolder all the jacks to get it apart... You call that 'no problems whatsoever accessing anything?' I'd call that a BIG problem accessing EVERYTHING.

Not to mention that I'd hate to see how long those leads to the jacks are if you can open it all the way up... I suck at building pedals and there still isn't a lead over 3 inches in any of mine...
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by tubetime86
Edit: Wait a minute, there IS fuss. Your jacks are wired into the actual enclosure and the pots and switch are on the lid, so when you open it up you have to desolder all the jacks to get it apart... You call that 'no problems whatsoever accessing anything?' I'd call that a BIG problem accessing EVERYTHING.

Not to mention that I'd hate to see how long those leads to the jacks are if you can open it all the way up... I suck at building pedals and there still isn't a lead over 3 inches in any of mine...

Some valid points, but not accurate in this case. I have opened it up a few times, and while you can access everything quite easily, this doesn't mean theres anything longer than 1 1/2" inches in there, you just have to unscrew the exterior jack nuts and be careful taking the lid off.

Speaking of the jacks, im not quite sure how to describe them, but loosening the exterior nut allows you to simply slide the internal socket out of its holder and bobs your uncle, you can remove the enclosure leaving full access to the guts that are mounted on the baseplate, you don't have to de-solder anything. The only thing you have to do for full access is remove the two jack nuts...

Granted it may not be the best way to do things but having already stated that I didn't design or build this myself, im not complaining!
That works! Like you said, not necessarily the best idea, but certainly nothing to go nuts over.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!