Hihi

I wanted to get a Marshall dsl401, but I'm a bit concerned now, due to reviews. I read somewhere that the issues should be fixed, is this true?
So should i get this amp? Or save up and get a dsl50 with an avatar 212 cab?
I do plan to gig in future, so i need a good investment.

Any suggestions?
Quick question: why are you buying this amp?
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
I like the marshally clean sound and i wanted an amp that can give me some gain without a pedal.
Quote by Milotic
Hihi

I wanted to get a Marshall dsl401, but I'm a bit concerned now, due to reviews. I read somewhere that the issues should be fixed, is this true?

What issues?
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
supposedly later models fixed the overheating issue. i don't know what they did though, i never really kept up much with the amps. the 401 is just ok, its not really excellent by any means, compared to the dsl50 and 100 its definitely thinner and fizzier and a little susceptible to that can of bees sound at high gain.
The DSL401 combo is alright, but I would go with the head. If you're going to use the lead channel, you're probably going to want to make a tube swap because it's a very harsh, ugly tone. The cleans are good and the crunch is good, but the lead sound is downright embarrassing. I've heard the head though and it sounds much better than the combo does. Also, the overheating problem was fixed on the newer DSL models.
Gear
3rd Power Amplification HD100
Splawn Competition
Marshall 1987x
Vox AC30C2

Charvel San Dimas 1 2H
2008 Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Strat

Check out my YouTube channel!
Would a Second hand JCM900 4102 be another good choice? I remember seeing one for sale somewhere.
That would depend on what sort of music you are playing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
At the moment im playing mainly old metallica, muse, ratm and sometime hendrix, clapton, srv and chilipeppers. I haven't tried out the jcm900 yet, so i dont really know how it sounds, but youtube gave me an idea.
It'll be hard to get that good Metallica chunk out of a combo. A DSL 50 and a closed back 2x12 would be a step in the right direction (4x12 would be even better but I understand everyone has different space and weight concerns).
Schecter C-1+, Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates (Neck) Seymour Duncan Custom Custom (Bridge) -->Boss TU-3, Way Huge Angry Troll, Analogman Boss SD-1/808 Silver mod -->Marshall JCM 800 4104 --> Marshall 1960A with Rola Celestion G12-65s
i don't mean to rip on anybody that loves marshall amps but i personally think you should broaden your horizons a bit. if i were you i would seriously look to mesa boogie stuff. i tested multiple dsl and tsl models and hands down thought the mesa handled that vintage sound as well as modern tones better. this is just my opinion. i used to be obsessed with marshall amps but honestly the new marshalls arent exactly living up to the marshalls of old. if you insist on marshall i would highly suggest the jcm800, very affordable used.
Gear:

2007 Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (MIA)

Mesa Boogie Express 5:25

Yamaha Acoustic

Member of the Eric Johnson Worshippers Club.
Mesa is too expensive here. If i had the money i would definitely go get a mesa. Even pre owned mesa's are expensive.
I have a DSL401 and I've used it for 5-6 hour practice sessions without it overheatig. I've played a 50W TSL head as well and I much preferred my DSL401.

If you can pick it up used, like I did, it's a steal. They sound great.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Quote by Milotic
At the moment im playing mainly old metallica, muse, ratm and sometime hendrix, clapton, srv and chilipeppers. I haven't tried out the jcm900 yet, so i dont really know how it sounds, but youtube gave me an idea.

old metallica uses boosted JCM800s, either 2203 or 2204.
Matt Bellamy of Muse uses (used?) a DSL100.
Tom Morello of RATM uses a JCM800 2205, the two channel ones.
I could go on and on...
So what it comes down to, IMO, is...
What do you play more? What tones are important to you? An amp that is more suitable for Metallic may not be all that suited for Hendrix. An amp that's great for RHCP may not be the best for Muse. Choose where to compromise and where to excel.

Also, what's your budget?

Quote by Milotic
I like the marshally clean sound

wat

Quote by ¢lessapprentice
It'll be hard to get that good Metallica chunk out of a combo.

ಠ_ಠ
A JCM900 4102 would pull off what you need. If it's a bargain grab it. The cleans on it are quite nice and the overdrive channel, although not as organic as a JCM800, are sufficient.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i got like 800 bucks Australian dollars. So that isnt much. But it will get me a 2nd hand
DSL 401 or Jcm900 4102. I Could get a DSL50, but ill have no cabinet for it. I also tried the blackstar HT series, but i dunnoe how i feel about that.
Quote by Milotic
i got like 800 bucks Australian dollars. So that isnt much. But it will get me a 2nd hand
DSL 401 or Jcm900 4102. I Could get a DSL50, but ill have no cabinet for it. I also tried the blackstar HT series, but i dunnoe how i feel about that.

I think that, personally, I'd rather have a 900 than a DSL401.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Matt Bellamy of Muse uses (used?) a DSL100.

Used them years ago, nowadays it's all boutique shit
If you have any choice, JCM 800
If you aim in the JCM 900 direction, Mk III are considered the best ones, SL-X middle of the line and Dual Reverb are bottom.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I think that, personally, I'd rather have a 900 than a DSL401.

+1
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Business
If you have any choice, JCM 800
If you aim in the JCM 900 direction, Mk III are considered the best ones, SL-X middle of the line and Dual Reverb are bottom.

The jcm900 for sale are the Dual reverbs. Being the at the bottom, are they still good quality thou?
Yeah they are as good quality. He means in popularity.
The SL-X uses an extra valve to get heavier. The Dual Reverb effectively has a SS overdrive pedal in front of it with clipping diodes to get more gain. The SL-X only has two opamps that look after the master volume for each "channel".
The Dual Reverb has two different channels that actually sound different albeit because of the overdive down it's throat. You can actually have a clean channel and switch to a distorted one whereas the SL-X just switches the volume. You don't have to make any compromises on your cleans with the DR like the SL-X. However, you'll never get SL-X distortion out of a DR. For your styles the DR would be fine.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by forsaknazrael
old metallica uses boosted JCM800s, either 2203 or 2204.

Ummm...

No they didn't.

They used a modded JMP for KEA and RTL. Its said that James' distortion came from a Pro Co Rat, never actually heard him say thats what he used. I know for a fact that Kirk used a Boss DF-2 to boost the amp for the stuff he played.

For MoP and AJFA they used a Mesa Mark IIC+.
Last edited by i_am_metalhead at Jun 22, 2010,
The Dual Reverb is not a bad amp by any means, but it gets a bad reputation because at the time, it wasn't up there with the previous Marhalls in tone quality. If you compare it with later models (last 15 years or so), it's a good one.
Right now im looking for a modernish rock sound with decent high gain. Would the jcm900 do this for me?
I wouldn't call the 900 modern, although it will get tighter and more high gain with a boost.
How well does the dsl take pedals compared to the jcm900 series? Pedals like whammy, fuzz factory and etc..
How well does the dsl take pedals compared to the jcm900 series? Pedals like whammy, fuzz factory and etc..

Well if you're dealing with the Dual Reverb I've always read that you're best bet is to use you preferred boost through the effects loop, the diodes in the preamp won't clash as much that way.
Schecter C-1+, Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates (Neck) Seymour Duncan Custom Custom (Bridge) -->Boss TU-3, Way Huge Angry Troll, Analogman Boss SD-1/808 Silver mod -->Marshall JCM 800 4104 --> Marshall 1960A with Rola Celestion G12-65s
Quote by ¢lessapprentice
Well if you're dealing with the Dual Reverb I've always read that you're best bet is to use you preferred boost through the effects loop, the diodes in the preamp won't clash as much that way.

You do realize that the whole point of a boost is to push the preamp tubes harder, right?