when I play my V my picking wrist is bent about 45 degrees.
it has to do with the guitar shape and where my forearm rests on the body of the guitar. it rests lower, so my wrist bends to get into position, over a year of playing this way, my wrist hurts to twist now, after i play for a while.

anyway, how do you other v players hold the guitar to keep your pickhand wrist straigh and not curved?
I hold it like this:
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
Quote by Cisc
what about when you look down at your arm from top view?
is there a bend in your wrist at all?

I cant seem to get it without a bend at all.

No bend there either, I don't have any pictures from the top of my picking hand though.
Do you have any pictures/videos that would show how you're holding the guitar/picking?
ill see if i can get a shot of it tonight.. it isnt as contorted as marty friedmans but theres a bend in my wrist.. i really love my v and dont want to get rid of it, i would rather retrain my pick hand to not injure myself playing it, ill see if i can get a pic tonight for you to analyze, thanks!
Last edited by Cisc at Jun 22, 2010,
That looks like it could be due to either or both of these factors:
- Right elbow drawn in too close to the body.
- Guitar too far away from the body, try sitting up straight and pulling the body of the guitar in as close as you comfortably can. Bear in mind, you may need to have the neck angled slightly away from you to give you decent access to the higher frets - that will have the added bonus of moving the horns of the guitar further in towards your side and giving the right arm easier access.
Last edited by Aleksi at Jun 23, 2010,
same when standing up too?

seems like I have tried everything, but I will deliberately try what you suggest tonight.
I think I played for a while with wrist straight last night, while sitting. but standing, jamming with the band is a whole different entity.

when i try to angle my wrist like you do, or like the kerry king photos online my right shoulder raises way up high, awkward feeling so thats not it, if i raise the guitar enough to where my arm rests straight naturally... the headstock is in the ceiling fan..way too high..

gotta get it figured out!
ill give it a go tonight, thanks for helping man.
Quote by Cisc
same when standing up too?

seems like I have tried everything, but I will deliberately try what you suggest tonight.
I think I played for a while with wrist straight last night, while sitting. but standing, jamming with the band is a whole different entity.

when i try to angle my wrist like you do, or like the kerry king photos online my right shoulder raises way up high, awkward feeling so thats not it, if i raise the guitar enough to where my arm rests straight naturally... the headstock is in the ceiling fan..way too high..

gotta get it figured out!
ill give it a go tonight, thanks for helping man.

My arm is in the same position when standing up, the wrist is still straight and my guitar rests so that the bridge pickup is around level with my belt buckle... If that helps.
Your shoulder shouldn't be raising at all when playing. Try moving your arm in the same way you would if you wanted to nudge someone standing next to you with your elbow, use that motion to work out an arm position that allows you a straight wrist when playing. I hope that made sense (motions are hard to describe in writing) and hope it helped!