My first guitar was a Squire strat. Since then I've upgraded to a Fender Tele Deluxe. I played the Strat for the first time in over a year a few days ago and decided that I'm going to change pickups if I'm going to keep it. I don't want to spend too much on it seeing as the guitar only cost about $180.

I also have a Kay Les Paul copy that I have been debating on changing pickups in, but I don't know if that one is worth the money

Any suggestions on what to get?
Without knowing what it is you play and how you want to alter the tone, it's pretty much impossible for anyone to give you any useful suggestions. If your profile is right though and you're playing through a Marshall MG amp, you need to be aware that a pickup change is going to a make a minimal difference, e.g. changing from the Squier's stock single coil pickups to a slightly more expensive set of basic single coil pickups won't make any real difference, certainly not enough to justify the cost. Basically unless you go for quite a radical change (sticking humbuckers in there, going for much higher output, wiring the controls differently, etc), you're not going to get enough of a difference in response and tone to warrent bothering.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Well, if you want to make that guitar as good as any American strat, go get yourself either some Kinman Noiseless pickups or Fralins, Then shield the whole thing. Sounds amazing. or you can put hot rails in it instead.
Gear:
American Strat (Modded with Kinman Pickups and more )
PRS Paul Allender (Don't like Cradle of Filth though )
Line 6 Spider Valve 212 (Broken )
Blackstar HT-5 Combo Amp

DR.ZOIDBERG!!!!! (Very inspirational)
Quote by MrFlibble
Without knowing what it is you play and how you want to alter the tone, it's pretty much impossible for anyone to give you any useful suggestions. If your profile is right though and you're playing through a Marshall MG amp, you need to be aware that a pickup change is going to a make a minimal difference, e.g. changing from the Squier's stock single coil pickups to a slightly more expensive set of basic single coil pickups won't make any real difference, certainly not enough to justify the cost. Basically unless you go for quite a radical change (sticking humbuckers in there, going for much higher output, wiring the controls differently, etc), you're not going to get enough of a difference in response and tone to warrent bothering.

agreed
I've learned most of my tone is the amp and pedals
when I think pick ups I consider single or humbuxker
high or low output and cost vs sound
I have 4 guitars and would rather have one good guitar and a good amp
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
I play anything from metal to pop-punk and everything in between. Making that strat up to par with an American Strat would be too much for what it's worth, and more than I'm really willing to spend on it.

As for the Les Paul I have no idea what kind of humbuckers are even in it. I don't even know if it's worth changing the pickups in it.

I really just want them to have better sound and tone than what they have now. Whether it be by a pickup change or whatever.

Maybe instead of changing the pickups, I should just get a pedal?
Last edited by offthewall91 at Jun 21, 2010,
An amp will do you A LOT of good. A good amp will make a world of difference. So start doing some research on a nice amp that's right for you.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
what kind of amp are you using? A good amp is 99999999999999 times more important than your pickups. If you're using a cheap amp then a pickup change will do absolutely nothing for you and just be a huge waste of money.
Maybe I'm just better off buying a pedal and see if that helps any. =/ That amp is new, it's just a little over a year old.

And my other guitar and my friends guitars sound amazing through that amp, it's just those two guitars that don't sound as good. =/ And it's the only thing I can afford at the moment seeing as I have no job.
Last edited by offthewall91 at Jun 21, 2010,