What month do electric guitar strings start breaking from the cold in? (in a temperate climate?)
Wat
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
They're not gonna break by themselves, unless you have them inside at like 90 degrees and then take them out to 20 below weather. Otherwise they'll just detune. And strings break all the time otherwise.
What's this dude? All i know is, playing some outdoor shows this September and October, I'll break three strings in the middle of a power ballad solo. Two of you guys live in the Southwest. In Cincy, if I play outside in the cold, I get three broken strings in a couple minutes. Please excuse me for talking like a Russian.
Quote by gunwar_andypat
What's this dude? All i know is, playing some outdoor shows this September and October, I'll break three strings in the middle of a power ballad solo. Two of you guys live in the Southwest. In Cincy, if I play outside in the cold, I get three broken strings in a couple minutes. Please excuse me for talking like a Russian.

Strings don't just break due to changes in temperature, the only things that can break a string is over tightening, bur in the saddles, and rusting completely through, or just straight up cutting the string.

The only things weather would do is jack with your tuning, by making the strings contract or expand, depending on the weather. In the south, strings will become looser due to the warmer temperature, so they expand, which you'll never break a string this way. In colder climates, such as the north, strings will contract, becoming tighter, which raises the problem of over tightening. If it's so cold outside, and you have bad strings, and a combination of other things, then you most certainly can break a string in cold weather.

Now how do you get around this problem? Simple really, every time you play outside, make sure your strings are 3-5 days old, have been stretched plenty, are quality strings, and that you have tuned, and tuned and tuned your guitar while out in the weather, don't take it from a warm environment straight into the cold, cause then the same thing will happen all over again.
You'll never play a guitar in a climate cold enough where steel becomes brittle. The only way this could possibly happen is if your guitar had a bur in the tuning post/saddle, you take it from a boiler room out into the middle of Siberia, and the string over tightens from contracting in the cold climate then breaks from the bur.

The only other way I could see this happening is when you've been playing in Standard for awhile, decide to play in Drop C for a month, then tune back up to Standard. A kink develops in the high-E string and it can break either at the nut or at the tuning post from this
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by gunwar_andypat
What month do electric guitar strings start breaking from the cold in? (in a temperate climate?)

When the sycamore leaves are fallen.