Page 1 of 2
This arrived on the brown truck last Friday:

It's a custom GMW guitar, soloist style body, 5 piece laminate neck through. The fretboard's ebony. The frets are 6100 stainless steel. The body wings are mahogany. The pickups are EMG 85X,SAX, SAX. The bridge is an OFR.

Review wise, Lee at GMW was incredible to work with. For those who aren't familiar, his shop used to do a lot of Jackson/Charvel custom work. His prices are good, and the finish and fretwork on this guitar are incredible. They're much nicer than my Andersons, for example. Those big 6100SS frets feel almost like scallops, and being stainless they're super smooth. Great for fast lead work, tapping - stuff like that.

In terms of sound, it's a very aggressive sounding guitar - very bright. I did some things in the specs to try to tame that - an 85X instead of an 81X, a brass block on the trem and mahogany wings. And it's still bright. This necessitated some amp adjustments to make it sound good, which haven't been a problem. Just a matter of EQing to the guitar. One of the upsides of EMGs is that tone control actually works well, so that's helpful too.

The upside of such an aggressive sounding guitar is that there's no mush - ever. The low strings are snappy, and the higher register has a ton of bite. This is great for huge piano-like clean chords.

The EMG-X series pickups are huge winners. They have all the benefits of actives (low noise, high output) but tone-wise are in pretty much the same space as passives. They may be my new favorite pickups.

IMO this is what a soloist style guitar should be like. Jackson needs to get their stuff together - I've owned several SL1s, and none of them were even close to this nice. Since there isn't much price difference between US Jackson and GMW anymore, it seems to me that if you want a high-octane guitar in the Jackson or Charvel style, you owe it to yourself to check out GMW.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Thats the only 'jackson' i've ever fallen in love with...

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I take it the switches correspond with the pickups? Explain.
Epi Elitist LP Plus
Marshall Class 5
Vox AC30 CC2

"A person is a success if they get up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do."
Quote by The3818919
I take it the switches correspond with the pickups? Explain.

One switch changes between the 85X and SAXes. The other two determine what combination of SAXes are on when it's in SAX mode.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Last edited by Even Bigger D at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by nickdohle
WOW! Thats sexy. I DEMAND MORE PICTURES!

+1
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $
Not a fan of the yellow on the guitar(I just don't like the color as a whole, so don't take that too badly ) but otherwise it's a work of art.
MOAR:

GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Oh my sweet Jesus. Thats the best looking soloist style body Ive ever seen. Sweet Jesus Christ... you are a lucky man. How much did that bad boy set you back?
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
OMFG, i freakin LOVE that guitar its like sexy as hell!!!!!!
I seriously lost my breath when I saw the second pic!

HNGD!
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
can you explain a little bit about this bridge? at first i thought it was some version of a fixed FR but in your other photos, you can clearly see the back is routed for the springs.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by Lovecannon
Oh my sweet Jesus. Thats the best looking soloist style body Ive ever seen. Sweet Jesus Christ... you are a lucky man. How much did that bad boy set you back?

There's pricing on the GMW site. This worked out to about $2500.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Quote by SYLrules88
can you explain a little bit about this bridge? at first i thought it was some version of a fixed FR but in your other photos, you can clearly see the back is routed for the springs.

It's an OFR with a non-recessed mount. I'll probably eventually adjust it to drop pitch only, but for now it's floating.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

That looks awesome, I like that guys work. Although some things on it arn't 100% to my liking, but thats all personal

HNGD
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
:O wow thats beautiful now i have GAS for my own custom GMW king V (if they'll make that shape, if not a soloist like u bro
Eh.
a bit picture of the headstock is DEMANDED!!!
lol, happy ngd man, looks ****ing awesome!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/heavymetal1110
My youtube channel

Epiphone Korina explorer, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez GSA60, Ibanez AEG25
The amp: Bugera 1990
Pedals: Ibanez Tubescreamer,wylde od, wylde wah, Tc electronic g major,
Quote by camaross427
a bit picture of the headstock is DEMANDED!!!
lol, happy ngd man, looks ****ing awesome!!

I don't have a pic handy, but there's a movie showing it on the GMW website

http://gmwguitars.com/class/gmwheadstocks.html

I don't think that even does it justice - the top surface of the headstock is subtly curved, which doesn't show in the movie. I think it looks really good in person - probably better than in the movie.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Absolutely beautiful guitar. I too am a fan of visible through necks, so this is right up my alley.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Kurapica
Absolutely beautiful guitar. I too am a fan of visible through necks, so this is right up my alley.

I think it's a great look, especially with the black wings. Natural wings, like BCR and Alembic used to do, look good too. But I think this is even cooler.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

wow, that looks awesome. better than an anderson, you say? (i haven't tried an anderson, but i've tried things like tyler, suhr, huber, I'm guessing anderson is also in that league?)

Not a major fan of the cosmetics, but obviously with a custom you can get whatever you want, and it doesn't affect the quality of the guitar, anyway.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
wow, that looks awesome. better than an anderson, you say? (i haven't tried an anderson, but i've tried things like tyler, suhr, huber, I'm guessing anderson is also in that league?)

Anderson is fairly similar to Suhr and Tyler, yes. All the California guys have some similarities.
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

that's what i figured, thanks
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
HHHHHHHNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGDDDD... I came...
Kaguya: Ibanez GRX20 - Coil-split handwound Humbuckers
Isabelle: Fender 50's Road Worn Strat signed by AutoVaughn
Selene: Ibanez RG2EX1
Blackstar HT-5
Nice guitar dude
Quote by output24
Haha, owned!
U win fender.

Quote by wiggy1988
teacher- Some slave owners would fight duels using their slaves
Me- So, sort of like Pokemon with people..Black man, I choose you!
Clip:
- neck + middle pickup (in phase)
- CAE preamp, Rivera power amp
- CAE on clean channel
- Neunaber WET reverb between pre and power amp
- no other effects
-Splawn cab
- sadly, recorded with cell phone (hence all the funny artifacts)
- post processing was just noise reduction.

I was going for sort of a spaghetti western thing. Didn't quite get that, but it's a pretty realistic take on what the guitar sounds like clean.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Even+Bigger+D/music/all/play866195
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

Last edited by Even Bigger D at Jul 13, 2010,
I'd have gone with a 60 in the neck, but either way, that is one bitchin' guitar
MOMMY MAD 'CAUSE I MADE A BOOM ON THE RUG

Gretsch G5120 >>> ProCo Rat >>> Fender Bassman 4x10
sounds good
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2