So I have a question to the iphone users of the pit, or of those people who are knowledgeable in the world of iphones.

So I am planning on getting an iphone 16gb 3GS. I've been thinking of getting an ipod for a while now, but here in canada the 8gb touch costs like 200, but I have a friend who can get me the 16gb iphone for 200 flat. So this way I have a phone and an ipod with double the capacity and for the same price. BUT here is what I wanted to know. I dont want to get it and have to pay for a data plan. I already have a good phone plan that i'm happy with, and dont want to have to pay data. Is there a way to not have to pay a data plan or turn off the iphone's usage of data? Because I dont want to get charged for it period. I have heard that the data runs in the background, and will charge you for it, that why you need that data plan.

So the question here is, is there a way to turn off the feature that uses data? I am just going to use it for calls and for music, and the wifi of course. No actual data/internet on there. I am just going to swap my sim card from my current LG Xenon.

Does anyone have any idea of how to do this? Or if its even possible?
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
If you get the iphone on the same network as your current plan, or get an unlocked iphone, you can just use your current sim like a normal phone (I think).

As for data usage, I'm pretty sure you can turn off the mobile internet connection like on my Desire
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by sebwillis1
How come you're not going for the new iPhone 4?

The iphone 4 is going to cost like a kidney. The 16gb 3gs itself is like 700 alone, I can get it for 200, so im going to stick with it.

And I'm just going to unlock it. Im with bell, but im going to get it and its locked to rogers, but I'm going to unlock it. Possibly jailbreak it also. But I'm not sure if theres that option to turn off the data usage.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Getting an iPhone without data is like buying a Corvette without wheels!

The data is only $29 bucks a month for unlimited usage and AT&T makes you buy it. I've seen "news releases" where AT&T may modify the data plan where you can get limited usage for a few buck cheaper, but why bother. Bottom line dude, an iPhone but it isn't a budget device. If you're that concerned with cost there are lots of very nice alternatives.

And you should post all your iPhone questions here.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1253281
Last edited by BobDetroit at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by BobDetroit
Getting an iPhone without data is like buying a Corvette without wheels!

The data is only $29 bucks a month for unlimited usage and AT&T makes you buy it. I've seen "news releases" where AT&T may modify the data plan where you can get limited usage for a few buck cheaper, but why bother. Bottom line dude, an iPhone but it isn't a budget device. If you're that concerned with cost there are lots of very nice alternatives.

And you should post all your iPhone questions here.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1253281

Awesome, thanks.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
Quote by this&that
The iphone 4 is going to cost like a kidney. The 16gb 3gs itself is like 700 alone, I can get it for 200, so im going to stick with it.

And I'm just going to unlock it. Im with bell, but im going to get it and its locked to rogers, but I'm going to unlock it. Possibly jailbreak it also. But I'm not sure if theres that option to turn off the data usage.

my friend jailbroke hes iphone. hes iphone got bricked.
http://www.youtube.com/user/charliegray12212

check out my youtube channel for guitar covers.

Quote by Radman_Paiza
I saw it with my dudefriend. But I'm totally not gay, because I have a girlfriend. She's imaginary, but atleast I have one.
Quote by anorexorcist15
my friend jailbroke hes iphone. hes iphone got bricked.

OH!! I heard about that how some companies are stepping up to blocking the iphone and bricking them if they're jailbroken, but i think thats it you specifically have a iphone and plan as your main thing, im going to replace it and not tell my provider, just swap sim cards.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.