The story is, i just came up with a rather cool riff i wanna use, but now i have no idea where to go from here. I intend it to be a main riff, used in a similar way to the first riff in "Raining Blood" by slayer. It's in E minor, this riff. What could i do to figure out a decent chord progression for a verse or something like that? basically, any help regarding making a song from this riff would be helpful.

Thanks
oh, im aiming for sometihng in the metal genre in case ya didnt know. Thanks
write a few more just as good and plonk em in sections... basic outline of songwriting wif riffs
Start out with a good ol' I IV V in E minor.

In heavy metal?

What could i do to figure out a decent chord progression for a verse or something like that? basically, any help regarding making a song from this riff would be helpful.

Well, you know chords and riffs in E minor won't clash or sound out against this, but what you have to do is imagine the riffs and stuff you want to hear next and then write em down. Or noodle till you get the riffs. Or develop the current idea until it's totally different and then use that.
Without actualy knowing what that riff looks or sounds like, I can tell you this:

There is 3 things you can do:

1) Make another riff in E minor, or change it around a bit. Switch root notes with fifths or change rythmic focus or something like that.

2) Change to the relative Major (G Major) or change from minor to Major (E Major)

3) Modulate along the circle of fifths / fourths. It's only slightly more involving than doing that with the Major scale. The parent scale of Eminor is GMajor, you can either modulate among the fourth or fifth of that (C or D Major as the first step) or their relative minors (A or B minor)
Quote by DiminishedFifth
One of my favorite songs uses the i iv V in a Symphonic Metal setting ;]

Ok, yeah, when I heard "Slayer" I figgered he'd be at the other end of heavy metal but I take your point sir. (and you poor original poster who I 'd at, sorry!)
Quote by Freepower

Or noodle till you get the riffs. Or develop the current idea until it's totally different and then use that.

This is pretty much the classic thrash metal formula:

Riff - 2nd riff - 3rd riff - chorus - 2nd riff- 3rd riff - outro riff

(or similar pattern )

Listen to "Kill 'em All" if you want to know what I mean.