Im looking to buy a new guitar and I'm stuck between Steve Vai's JEM7V and Kirk Hammet's KH-2. The JEM7V was made by Ibanez and the KH-2 was made by ESP. I play everything from metal to blues. I definatly play more metal and rock than blues. Also, if there are any other guitars like these two, please share. Thanks
What amp?
Quote by TheChaz
I ran over two squirrels at once one time. They were chasing after each other in the street, and I swerved to avoid them, but ended up with one under each tire. Still my greatest driving accomplishment to date.

Quote by WantsLesPaul
Hitler could have been aborted
Get Kirks. Vai's guitar looks a bit Fagish to me, too much stuff going on.
Gear:
American Strat (Modded with Kinman Pickups and more )
PRS Paul Allender (Don't like Cradle of Filth though )
Line 6 Spider Valve 212 (Broken )
Blackstar HT-5 Combo Amp

DR.ZOIDBERG!!!!! (Very inspirational)
The guitars are pretty similar. I'd say take the Jem, because I hate active pups, but I guess take the KH if you like actives, and the Jem if you like passives.

They feel pretty different too. Go to GC and play them?
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
JEM..better harware,better bridge and better pups(according to my preference)

they are vastly different,I believe the JEM's neck is thinner than the KH neck,but you got try them out
Quote by Sshmoo
Get Kirks. Vai's guitar looks a bit Fagish to me, too much stuff going on.

fagish?that doesnt make any sense at all..flashy?ok

then again you could get the JEM77v,which is not as flashy as the normal 7v
Kay I'm an ESP fanboy and everything, but the Ibanez just makes more sense of the two.

If you changed your mind and instead of the ESP KH-2 get the ESP M-II, the specs are nearly identical (tone knobs....with EMGs...don't make sense to me...) for a fraction of the price and it's still an ESP.

The JEM is all round sexier though. I mean the KH is just a boring black guitar IMO.
Quote by archenemyfan
JEM..better harware,better bridge and better pups(according to my preference)

they are vastly different,I believe the JEM's neck is thinner than the KH neck,but you got try them out

Better bridge?
IMO OFR is better than Edge pro

I would say the KH-2 is better than the JEM7V. JEM7V its pretty good but it has all these graphics and the the inlays. KH-2 is a more basic looking guitar thats better
The KH-2 is overpriced. You could get a cheaper ESP for equal quality. Personally I'd go for the Jem but its really preference at that point between an ESP or a Jem.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by SilverRock113
Better bridge?

I would say the KH-2 is better than the JEM7V. JEM7V its pretty good but it has all these graphics and the the inlays. KH-2 is a more basic looking guitar thats better

the edge pro isn`t even on a new Jem any more. they`ve gone back to the original edge which pisses all over a ofr. there`s no graphics on a 7v, it mother of pearl and albone inlays, alot better than some nylon skull and crossbones

go try them both, i wager the Jem will come out on top.

here`s what my Jem sounds like.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ena-jdB-bGA
Quote by SilverRock113
Better bridge?

ask anyone who has owned a ep or a lopro...they are better than OFR.schaller machinery is old now and gotoh machinery has been recently updated so finishing is more precise

+ what the Lopro and EP basically are,two OFR's that have evolved near to perfection, and with the locking stud mod done to the edge pro,it certainly will have better tuning stability

But all that comes at an increased cost though, while OFR's retail around 180$,the EP costs a whopping 280 + the locking stud mod which costs 45$

BTW,keep in mind that OFR's don't come with locking studs.
The vine inlays look much better than some stupid skulls and crossbones(atleast it does to me)there are no graphics in the JEM and tbh it looks a whole lot sexier than the plain black KH

siverstorm is speeking gospel truth,the KH is a MII with a lot of marketing tricks and a stupid price tag. If you want ESP,get the MII

no offense to anyone and sorry for my rusty english and the double post..English is my second language you know....

Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 21, 2010,
This comparison is silly ... definitely get the JEM7V it rapes the KH sig ...

A much better bridge with better hardware and features.
the jem is probably a bit more versatile with the passive HSH setup. that being said if you just want an HSH superstrat you could get an rg1570 and swap the pickups to your choice (while the pickup layout in the jem is pretty versatile, the actual specific pickups in it aren't particularly versatile, unless you go for the one with breeds).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Jem, obviously.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
the Jem is clearly the betterof the two.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Both are good guitars, but both are way overpriced. Fir the price of the JEM you can get a J Custom and for less than the KH you can get an MII and you don't have to have Hammetts faggy name on your guitar. Plus you get an ebony board. As for Ibanez trems vs. OFR. Look at a 20 year old Floyd vs. a 20 year old Edge. Almost every time the Floyd will have held up better. The Ibanez trems are great, but not on par IMO with Schaller made Floyds.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
i thought the edges held up well too? (based on what I've read, admittedly)

also supposedly the ofrs aren't made as well as they were in the 80s (also based on what i've read)

Not to argue with you, just for balance.

but good call on the j custom.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Both are overpriced; why buy a signature model?

I have no opinion one way or the other...I would never buy either of them, but the KH-2 (bolt-on version) may have the nicest neck I've ever played, so that's a plus on its side.
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by Dave_Mc
i thought the edges held up well too? (based on what I've read, admittedly)

also supposedly the ofrs aren't made as well as they were in the 80s (also based on what i've read)

Not to argue with you, just for balance.

but good call on the j custom.

The Edges do hold up well functionally for the most part. But the finishes do not(especially cosmo). They are still great trems though. I love the original edge and lo pro's. Just prefer the Schaller and OFR.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Totally different guitars, go try them out.
CALL ME JOHN

MARSHALL JCM 2000 Amp head/Cab
White Synyster Custom 1/100
Rest of my rig on my profile!

Don't acknowledge right, just dwell on...

...Wrong.

This spot in Hell...

...Is where I belong
Quote by yellowv
Both are good guitars, but both are way overpriced. Fir the price of the JEM you can get a J Custom and for less than the KH you can get an MII and you don't have to have Hammetts faggy name on your guitar. Plus you get an ebony board. As for Ibanez trems vs. OFR. Look at a 20 year old Floyd vs. a 20 year old Edge. Almost every time the Floyd will have held up better. The Ibanez trems are great, but not on par IMO with Schaller made Floyds.

the one thing that doesnt hold up well on ibanez trems is the paint,and I dont give a damn about it(I cant imagine who would)almost all the other things are equal or better.
Quote by siverstorm
Kay I'm an ESP fanboy and everything, but the Ibanez just makes more sense of the two.

If you changed your mind and instead of the ESP KH-2 get the ESP M-II, the specs are nearly identical (tone knobs....with EMGs...don't make sense to me...) for a fraction of the price and it's still an ESP.

The JEM is all round sexier though. I mean the KH is just a boring black guitar IMO.

emgs have now tone, thats y they shouldn't have tone knobs
Eh.
Quote by Guitar12755
I just LOVE how the JEM7V looks. The white and gold just makes it look like a guitar god would play. So I would be willing to pay for it. But I like the way the KH-2 looks as well.

there you go,You played it and you loved the way it felt and you also love the way it looks..get the JEM..

IDK there is something about them that makes them much more sexier than normal RG's.I cant figure out what it is,but its just..ah.

A JEM is one of my dream guitars BTW..I would kill to get one...the KH on the hand is good but looks exactly like the MII..its actually worse with those skulls...and hammet's name..and EMG's(thats my opinion I dont want to start a war)..

and the JEM is indeed played by a guitar god..
Quote by archenemyfan
the one thing that doesnt hold up well on ibanez trems is the paint,and I dont give a damn about it(I cant imagine who would)almost all the other things are equal or better.

You can't imagine that people would be bothered by a tarnished, pitted, crappy looking finish on their trem? As far as everything else being equal or better that is not true. The entire OFR is case hardened steel. The Edge trems are not.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by yellowv
You can't imagine that people would be bothered by a tarnished, pitted, crappy looking finish on their trem? As far as everything else being equal or better that is not true. The entire OFR is case hardened steel. The Edge trems are not.

case hardening is only necessary for softer steels,we dont know what steels that schaller use and what steels gotoh use

schaller makes two floyds..the OFR with a steel base and another schaller FR with a cast base..which one are you talking about

many people admit that the gotoh FR is better than the schaller one..

but I cant understand one thing,the Edge trem costs 280$ while the OFR costs 180$..why?maybe the edge uses better materials and skip case hardening..

you just cant say that the OFR will hold up better cause it depends on how you use it and maintain it,but the Edge and Lopro trems I have used so far are very good

I honestly dont think that there is much of a difference in reliability..

but in the END ,you might be right you know, thats just my preference

no offense
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 22, 2010,
Quote by yellowv
The Edges do hold up well functionally for the most part. But the finishes do not(especially cosmo). They are still great trems though. I love the original edge and lo pro's. Just prefer the Schaller and OFR.

oh ok.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by archenemyfan
case hardening is only necessary for softer steels,we dont know what steels that schaller use and what steels gotoh use

schaller makes two floyds..the OFR with a steel base and another schaller FR with a cast base..which one are you talking about

many people admit that the gotoh FR is better than the schaller one..

but I cant understand one thing,the Edge trem costs 280$ while the OFR costs 180$..why?maybe the edge uses better materials and skip case hardening..

you just cant say that the OFR will hold up better cause it depends on how you use it and maintain it,but the Edge and Lopro trems I have used so far are very good

I honestly dont think that there is much of a difference in reliability..

but in the END ,you might be right you know, thats just my preference

no offense

I was speaking of the OFR which has the hardened steel base. The Schaller unit with cast base is actually a lisenced piece. I prefer it over all of them to be honest. I have a Schaller on an 18 year old Jackson that works like brand new and two more on my Caparisons. The Edge trems price is simply because they are not readily available for purchase. You can buy a Gotoh Floyd for about the same price as an OFR. The Ibby units just carry an insane price. Has nothing to do with the materials that they are made from just the fact that you can't just purchase one from Stew Mac and such. I kinda equate that to OEM auto parts. For instance if you bend a rim on your car and go to the dealer they will want $400 for a crappy stock rim. While you could go buy a much better quality rim on the aftermarket for $200.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Quote by yellowv
I was speaking of the OFR which has the hardened steel base. The Schaller unit with cast base is actually a lisenced piece. I prefer it over all of them to be honest. I have a Schaller on an 18 year old Jackson that works like brand new and two more on my Caparisons. The Edge trems price is simply because they are not readily available for purchase. You can buy a Gotoh Floyd for about the same price as an OFR. The Ibby units just carry an insane price. Has nothing to do with the materials that they are made from just the fact that you can't just purchase one from Stew Mac and such. I kinda equate that to OEM auto parts. For instance if you bend a rim on your car and go to the dealer they will want $400 for a crappy stock rim. While you could go buy a much better quality rim on the aftermarket for $200.

lol,is the edge trem that crappy?I personally think its great

I like it better than the OFR,and most people do actually

I heard that gotoh machinery is better than schaller though
Last edited by archenemyfan at Jun 22, 2010,
Like I said in earlier posts the Edge trems are great trems. They do hold up well. It is mostly the finish that does not. I just prefer OFR's. As for most people prefering the Edges to Floyds that is BS. On forums with tons of Ibby fanboys yes that is true, but elsewhere the Floyd is probably prefered 5 to 1 over the Edge. As for Gotoh vs Schaller machinery that is all opinion as well. True some say the Gotoh is better. Some say the Floyd is better. For instance John Suhr says the OFR lacks in quality as of late, but the Gotohs are great. I have gotten several OFR's and Schallers in the last few years and all have been perfect. Fact is John Suhr gets Gotohs cheaper than Schaller made Floyds. I'm sure he's not going to say that they aren't as good.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500

Peavey 5150
Yamaha THR10x
Last edited by yellowv at Jun 22, 2010,
well in the end,everything comes down to preference..I honestly dont that there is much of a difference between schallers and edges..I mainly prefer the Edge pro and loPro over them is because of the comfortable shape..

and in this case,cosmo finshes doesnt matter cause edges and EP's on JEM's have Gold finish..its the cosmo that comes off easily
Quote by archenemyfan
well in the end,everything comes down to preference..I honestly dont that there is much of a difference between schallers and edges..I mainly prefer the Edge pro and loPro over them is because of the comfortable shape..

and in this case,cosmo finshes doesnt matter cause edges and EP's on JEM's have Gold finish..its the cosmo that comes off easily

Not to start another argument, but the gold tarnishes quicker than the cosmo. And yes it is all about preference. The Egde trems are damn good. But I do not like the low profile feel. I only have 1 Edge Pro right now and it feels weird to play on it.
ESP Stef B8 CS
.strandberg* Boden OS7
Suhr Modern Satin
Washburn N7
PRS SE245
LTD Alexi-600
Warmoth Fr00tcaster
Ibanez RG1XXV
Fender Strat
Jackson Dinky Rev
Agile AL-2500