Hey guys,

So I've been playing guitar for 5 years now, and have been in a garage rock band for about a year. I have a Gibson SG and a Line 6 Spider III 75-Watt Combo amp. I'm very happy with my amp, but there's not much in the way of distortion effects, and I don't have a lot of use for many of the features it does have (chorus, echo, etc).

So I'm interested in buying a pedalboard for distortion modeling. I'm not a tone freak at all really, I just want to be able to get more fuzz or crunch and explore different types of distortion. It'd be cool to get some White Stripes or Eagles of Death Metal sound to my music, and my amp alone can't really produce anything as fuzzy without being too heavy (the metal model).

My knowledge of guitar effects is pretty minimal (I've been too focused on just playing I suppose), so if you guys have any suggestions on pedalboards, questions, or general suggestions for obtaining the kinds of sounds I'm looking for, I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks,
MQ
If you can't build a robot, be a robot.
pedals and modelling amps dont go well together man, i tried with my spider iv and it was horrible.
I'd say, if you want pedals, get a blackstar ht-5 maybe? and a boss multi fx pedal (ME70 i think it is)
Or just go for an amp with the distortion you want, and a clean channel, and get pedals for your crunch/fuzz.
Gear:
Epiphone SG-400 (w/Hot Slags)/Chapman Guitars ML1 > Digitech Bad Monkey > Blackstar HT-5 > Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ > ETI Chorus Flanger
Snark Headstock tuner!
Try a Big Muff or A Swollen Pickle, For octave fuzz try the Purple platypus
Gear:
American Strat (Modded with Kinman Pickups and more )
PRS Paul Allender (Don't like Cradle of Filth though )
Line 6 Spider Valve 212 (Broken )
Blackstar HT-5 Combo Amp

DR.ZOIDBERG!!!!! (Very inspirational)
get a new amp first, the line 6 spiders are some of the worst amps in production
a pedal isn't going to make it sound any better. besides the spiders have onboard effects
I personally love my Boss Metal Zone MT-2. You can get those on ebay for probably like $30. I also love my Digitech RP250, that's great for just everything, it even has a volume/wah pedal that is really easily activated. That's another cheap ebay pedal (probably between $50-60). I also use an Electro Harmonix Metal Muff w/ Top Boost that's more expensive because of the top boost but it sounds great, I got it for $45. The last thing is an Ibanez ts-808 that my dad gave me, it's genuine vintage because he was a teenager when he bought it, but those are really expensive so you probably don't want to go there, but it sounds amazing.
Even if you spend hundreds of dollars on a pedal it'll sound like shit through that amp.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
All right, I'll admit, my amp is a gimmicky beginner's model that can at least play over a drum set, but it's gotten me this far (which I suppose isn't all that far...)

So if I was looking into amps that would help suite my desire, where would I begin?
There's nothing hugely wrong with Spiders if they're just being used as a practice amp for bedroom use I suppose, but if you wanna do anything more with it then it's gonna sound bad. Lots of people think that changing their pick-ups or buying pedals will help this, it definatly won't.

How much money would you be willing to spend on an amp?
Aside from the Eagles of Death Metal and The White Stripes, who else would you like to sound like?
Would you be willing to buy a used amp?
Do you live near a somewhere that you can go to to try out different amps?
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Well since I wasn't looking into an amp (haha), I haven't given it much thought, but I may be willing to spend 500-1000 if an amp really blows me away and gets the sound I'm lookin for I suppose
As for sound, I'd be perfectly content with any range of classic rock to garage. I prefer lighter tones, but like I said, I'm not really picky, I just want more options.

And yeah, I could do used, and I live in Houston, so I can go to some places and check out amps, I just wanted to get more understanding before I start talking to sales people about the subject.
Look at Peavey 6505/5150, Bugera 1990, Some kind of Orange or Vox, Marshall JCM or JVM Series, Mesa Single or Double Rec. Pretty much anything Mesa would be best imo.

any of those amps would suit you fine
Last edited by handbanana at Jun 21, 2010,
The 6505/5150s will probably be abit too modern and heavy if you prefer lighter tones, same for the Mesa Recs.

Also Mesas are very expensive if you buy them new.

You would probably be really happy with a Marshall JCM800.
mesa are indeed expensive, but how is a jcm 800 going to not be expensive? On average they cost around $1k just for the head.

The 900 might be a little better choice if you want to save money, they've been going down in price lately and are pretty easy to find.
I stalked your craiglist and here is some interesting stuff I found:
Mesa 5:50 http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1801817770.html
Traynor YCV40 http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1791535033.html
Fender Twin amp http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1746915570.html
Vox AC30 http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1783024411.html
Rivera Clubster 25 http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/1715972451.html

They all are good amps, just choose the one you like best because they are not all what you want
Last edited by Sguit at Jun 21, 2010,