Getting a summer job that's probably going to be bringing in around $1,500 to $2,000 before Uncle Sam takes his share

But that'll still leave me with a good amount of cash. I'm planningo n using this money to upgrade to a better amp (preferably a half-stack so I cna actualy be heard during gigs) and actually start a pedal collection.

So my question is...does any UG'r know of a good well rounded distortion pedal that can get a wide variety of tones. I'm looking ofr a pedal that can go from AC/DC and Iron Maiden to Painkiller Judas Priest and Pantera.

Does a pedal with that much versatillity even exist?
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Dude, just go for an amp that can do all that.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Dude, just go for an amp that can do all that.

I agree. With your budget you could easily get an amp that's loud enough for gigs and has decent clean and distorted tones.

If you give a more specific budget I'm sure there are plenty of knowledgeable people here who will have amps to recommend.
Quote by Phoenix Reborn
(preferably a half-stack so I cna actualy be heard during gigs)
Sorry that this is off-topic, but I'd like to note that half-stack vs. combo has nothing to do with being heard during gigs. Not only could you have a 5 watt combo go through a PA system and be heard easily, but some combo amps are insanely loud.

Case in point: http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0217300000. Fender Twin Reverb. At 85 watts (tube, mind you), the thing gets loud. Sure it only has 2 12" speakers, but there are still combos that are 4x10 or maybe more (http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2232100000).
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
My amp is a Line 6 Spider III. I went down the road of built in digital effects and distortion before...never again. It's bitten me in the but and in only a year the amp's given out on me. ONly the clean chane works now. So yeah...never again
Have a good one,
Phoenix
get a new amp before you spend money on anything. I think everyone on the forum will agree with me that the Line 6 Spiders are pretty much the biggest joke in the music world.
Oh trust me I am getting a new amp. Got my eye on a B-52 LS100 Head and B-52 412a Cabinet. Still have to test play through it but if the reviews (nd my friends experience with it) are anything to go by it's great.

I'm just trying to get this wole set-up planned out. I'd like to make only a single visit to Guitar Center if possible since it's a bit if a drive to get to the nearest one.

So could we al please just stop talking about amps? I appreciate the concern...I really do. But could we please stay on the subject of pedals? Considering i've mever owned one in my life and only test played through a few (and not even with my own guitar at that) All I know is that I prefer stompboxes over pedalboards.
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Quote by Phoenix Reborn
My amp is a Line 6 Spider III. I went down the road of built in digital effects and distortion before...never again. It's bitten me in the but and in only a year the amp's given out on me. ONly the clean chane works now. So yeah...never again

Then don't get a Spider again that's no excuse to get a halfstack.

But a good distortion pedal is the Rockbox Boiling Point if you want versatility.
I also wouldn't really suggest the b52 either. You can do a lot better for the money
People are only talking about amps because they don't want you to waste your money buying pedals to play through a crappy amp.

No matter what pedal you buy, if you play it through a Line 6 Spider III, especially a broken one, it's going to sound awful and nothing like the pedal really should. You could use the money that you would spend on the pedal to buy an amp.

People are giving you good advice
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
I know Spiders sound no better with pedals. I'm planning on getting a new amp to, but I guess you'r right. Just the last thread I made asking about amps ended up with nothing but people teling me I was being too picky

-sigh-

alright I guess the amps a good place to start. Why is the B-52 not worth getting? I've never seen a bad review of it and my friend has the same half-stack...say's it's the best purchase he's made amp wise. While I'm going to try it before buying it (It's only the snart thing to do) why is it that UG jhates them so much? When I made a thread asking baout amps I got nothing in reply to the b-52 except 'don't buy it'.

If it's so terrible what would you recomend? Please keep in mind money is an object. If the amplifier could be kept around $500 or less I'd be appreciative, though I am willing to bend a little I guess.

PS: NO Line 6, gave them a chance and I already told you guys what happened afterwads.
Have a good one,
Phoenix
Last edited by Phoenix Reborn at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by WtrPlyr
Then don't get a Spider again that's no excuse to get a halfstack.

But a good distortion pedal is the Rockbox Boiling Point if you want versatility.

Aren't those like near $400 USD? Are they really THAT good?
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Go for an Egnater Tweaker with a Tubescreamer, OP, sounds like it'll do what you need perfectly, except the Pantera stuff, maybe.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by bingeandletgo
Aren't those like near $400 USD? Are they really THAT good?

Yes they are $349. No they are not that good (at least IMO). I'd never pay that much for a distortion, maybe a delay, but no distortion.
I also don't think that Rockbox Boiling Points are worth anywhere near as much as they charge.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by handbanana
for the price of a b52 you could get a much much better amp

I'm open to some suggestions.
Have a good one,
Phoenix
I'll probably be making around $1,500 after taxes, and if I could keep the total cost of the amp, cabinet and pedals under 1 grand I'd be exstatic. So somewhere between $500 and $700 would be great. But why does everyone hate B-52 so much? I just wouldn't mind hearing since all thereviews I've seen have been 4-5 stars and even a friend of mine swears by his LS 100 and LS 412a.
Have a good one,
Phoenix
MI Audio Crunchbox
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by Phoenix Reborn
I'll probably be making around $1,500 after taxes, and if I could keep the total cost of the amp, cabinet and pedals under 1 grand I'd be exstatic. So somewhere between $500 and $700 would be great. But why does everyone hate B-52 so much? I just wouldn't mind hearing since all thereviews I've seen have been 4-5 stars and even a friend of mine swears by his LS 100 and LS 412a.

it's just not a very good amp. Their not made well and the company isn't al that known for making quality things. For under 1000 you could easily pickup up a laney gh100l or even a marshall tsl/dsl whatever that could do what you wanted. you wouldn't even need a pedal.

for about 1k you could grab a rocker 30 combo.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
I think this'll be the 3rd time I've stated this...I'm not looking for built in distortion, I'm definatly going to pedals.

Also, If I'm paying that much I sure as hell am goingot be going higher then 30 watts.
And finally, I really wouldn't mind a combo amp guys. Why is it that everyone's only recomending combo's with built-in distortion?
Have a good one,
Phoenix