My nation does practice conscription. I will serve
29 12%
My nation does not practice conscription. If it did I would not serve
107 45%
My nation does practice conscription. I will not serve
44 19%
Voters: 236.
Page 1 of 6
Another thread got me thinking. If your country had or has conscription (Compulsory military service ie. a draft) would you go?
Bare in mind that quite a few UGers live in nations that do have compulsory military service. So be civil.

EDIT: The US does practice conscription. All males are required to register with the Selective Service upon reaching the age of 18. It does not actively draft atm but all the laws and provisions are in place. All it takes is an executive order to restart drafting.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Last edited by Jackal58 at Jun 21, 2010,
I probably would, but I think conscription is immoral, what if somebody doesn't agree with a war? Is it truly right to make somebody fight a war they don't believe in?
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
Well, I'd have gone at 18, and hoped like hell they gave me a not-very-dangerous job.

Having said that, IIRC the worst thing going on in the world then was Bosnia.
No. I don't want to be part of the military and then the added fact I'm being forced to fight would influence me not go even more.
Questions of science
Science and progress
Do not speak as loud as my heart
Last edited by Jlovesmetal at Jun 21, 2010,
I'm fortunate enough to live in a country that doesn't have conscription, but I would not because its against my religious beliefs. Lots of people go to prison for making their stand not to kill....
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
I'm fortunate enough to live in a country that doesn't have conscription, but I would not because its against my religious beliefs. Lots of people go to prison for making their stand not to kill....

Actually you do live in a country that does have a conscription system. It's just not active atm.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I know people that at 16 still aren't allowed out of their house by themselves. It'd be wrong to put them in the army as they wouldn't last 10 seconds (not suggesting that I would).
Belgium used to have conscription and I think it should be brought back. A lot of young adults need to know a little discipline and respect. Also because this isn't America most people here would never go to war, just be in the service for a year or so.
I'M A COWBOY
Quote by loaded_
Belgium used to have conscription and I think it should be brought back. A lot of young adults need to know a little discipline and respect. Also because this isn't America most people here would never go to war, just be in the service for a year or so.

Seein' as how the Congo kicked you out and Germany is to busy watching the World Cup right now you're probably right.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
I'd find a way out. It's a shame that DADT seems to be on it's way out, 'cause now if they bring back the draft, I can't get out of it just by kissing a dude.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by Jackal58
Actually you do live in a country that does have a conscription system. It's just not active atm.

Right, getting drafted, I thought the definition was a constant system in which by law obligates a certain amount of years of service.

I would go to prison before serving for the army.
canada and (not completely sure but I think Ireland) don't extradite
Bands I must see in concert
Silvertide
The Black Crowes
Jackyl
Black Stone Cherry
AC/DC
StoneRider
Freedomhawk
The Darkness and/or the sideprojects of the band members
Buckcherry
The Answer

Theres more. But those are the main ones
I would, but i doubt it will happen in th U.S. for a long time.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by Aerokizzombie
canada and (not completely sure but I think Ireland) don't extradite

I don't know about Ireland but Canada most certainly does.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
If it's conscription it's not a matter of choice. You have to get drafted and do obligatory military training for a few months. Granted, in some countries you do get the option of doing this "civil service" thing instead.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
I don't think it's right for some old guy in a suit to tell me to go risk my life for him.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
my country doesn't conscript but if it did i would serve. As much as I disagree with conscription, If society deems that to be considered a citizen i must serve in the army for a year or so then so be it.
you are what you is
Quote by Mad Marius
If it's conscription it's not a matter of choice. You have to get drafted and do obligatory military training for a few months. Granted, in some countries you do get the option of doing this "civil service" thing instead.

You always have a choice. Serve or break the law. That's a choice.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
If Ireland conscripted I would serve, it'd be a valuable experience and they don't force Irish soldiers to ship out on Peacekeeping missions (which are all we do, as a neutral country) unless they want to. I would probably want to, you never hear of Irish casualties and they do really valuable work.

However, if there were a war on that Ireland was taking part in and that I didn't agree with I would serve my time in prison before I'd serve. or do what my uncle in Israel did and join up but spend the time in military prison.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by rgrockr
I don't think it's right for some old guy in a suit to tell me to go risk my life for him.

This is a poor reason. What if that person is himself a veteran? Does this then make it right? If your reason is based entirely on who gives the command then it isn't really a reason is it? And, if that isn't the case then why bring up some old guy in a suit?
Quote by Jackal58

And this is very true. You always have a choice in everything in life.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Jun 21, 2010,
"My nation does not practice conscription. If it did I would serve"

I'm planning on going to the recruiting office tomorrow so if they had conscription it'd just make my life a bit easier to be honest.
St. Mirren F.C
Champions of Renfrewshire Since 2006
SPL Survivors Since 2006
Quote by GoodCharloteSux

This is exactly what I was thinking.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by GoodCharloteSux

What religion exactly?
Quote by jfreyvogel
This is a poor reason. What if that person is himself a veteran? Does this then make it right? If your reason is based entirely on who gives the command then it isn't really a reason is it? And, if that isn't the case then why bring up some old guy in a suit?

And this is very true. You always have a choice in everything in life.

Because nobody wants the visual of an old man in a speedo.
See.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
^ Im a Jehovahs Witness

Ok, don't know much about that to be honest. I was going through all the religions in my head trying to think of one that said all killing was wrong. Generally they make a division between killing and murder. Out of curiosity what about self-defense (in Jehovah's Witness)? (Not starting a debate or anything, I am just genuinely curious)
Quote by Ur all $h1t
If Ireland conscripted I would serve, it'd be a valuable experience and they don't force Irish soldiers to ship out on Peacekeeping missions (which are all we do, as a neutral country) unless they want to. I would probably want to, you never hear of Irish casualties and they do really valuable work.

I agree with you there, and I wish Britain were in a similar situation - not necessarily neutral, just not fighting a miserable war - because it would be a really amazing experience, peacekeeping. The civil stuff armies often do is very valuable, but I really don't want to get killed in a desert. I wouldn't much enjoy jail, either. I'd try and prove that I'm too valuable to fight, ohh! Become a war correspondent.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by Jackal58

It should be pointed out that it's a choice made under duress, so not a free choice in any sense of the word.

By duress I mean
Threat must be of serious bodily harm or death
Harm threatened must be greater than the harm caused by the crime
Threat must be immediate and inescapable
The defendant must have become involved in the situation through no fault of his or her own
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
If a draft started in the USA, I'd go to Canada (or some other country). I refuse to join the military.
Tonight I kill your fucking face.
I killed your face.

HG FC: 4211 7971 0287
Plt FC: 3052 1000 9033
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
^ Im a Jehovahs Witness

Dude o_0, I'm started studying 3 months ago.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Quote by freddaahh
I agree with you there, and I wish Britain were in a similar situation - not necessarily neutral, just not fighting a miserable war - because it would be a really amazing experience, peacekeeping. The civil stuff armies often do is very valuable, but I really don't want to get killed in a desert. I wouldn't much enjoy jail, either. I'd try and prove that I'm too valuable to fight, ohh! Become a war correspondent.

At least jail would get you a sweet bod

Ya, peacekeeping is really valuable. It's great to do it with Ireland too, because the locals tend to respond better to the Irish troops, so much so that (apparently) there are areas and situations that only Irish troops can deal with as Americans and Brits tend to get shot at.
I'd still consider doing it after uni, it'd be a great set of skills and a great way to see some of the world. Not sure I'd be able for the boredom of it though.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
It should be pointed out that it's a choice made under duress, so not a free choice in any sense of the word.

I would argue that the greater the "duress" as you put it, the more important the choice is to make - and that you can make a choice. Anyone can do what's right when there is no threat, but conviction is tested when the risk is greatest. (not that I think that avoiding conscription would be right - I answered I would go if the US did conscript)
Quote by Ur all $h1t

By duress I mean
Threat must be of serious bodily harm or death
Harm threatened must be greater than the harm caused by the crime
Threat must be immediate and inescapable
The defendant must have become involved in the situation through no fault of his or her own

Not sure what you're getting at.
If you evade conscription I don't think most places kill you or break your legs for that.
Conscription is immediate and inescapable. Evasion is not.
You can't blame the draftee for reaching an age at which his obligation is seen as due.
Wtf are you trying to tell me Paddy!!!!!
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Ur all $h1t
At least jail would get you a sweet bod

Ya, peacekeeping is really valuable. It's great to do it with Ireland too, because the locals tend to respond better to the Irish troops, so much so that (apparently) there are areas and situations that only Irish troops can deal with as Americans and Brits tend to get shot at.
I'd still consider doing it after uni, it'd be a great set of skills and a great way to see some of the world. Not sure I'd be able for the boredom of it though.

That's because you Irish are likeable fellows and good drunks . Americans are hated by everyone and violent drunks.
The peacekeeping thing sounds interesting though. If I lived in Ireland I might join, but alas I do not.
Quote by Jackal58
Not sure what you're getting at.
If you evade conscription I don't think most places kill you or break your legs for that.
Conscription is immediate and inescapable. Evasion is not.
You can't blame the draftee for reaching an age at which his obligation is seen as due.
Wtf are you trying to tell me Paddy!!!!!

The duress (what forces you to break the law) is the threat of conscription, which can result in serious harm or death, such harm is greater than that caused by evasion, is immediate, and is not one's own fault.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by jfreyvogel
Ok, don't know much about that to be honest. I was going through all the religions in my head trying to think of one that said all killing was wrong. Generally they make a division between killing and murder. Out of curiosity what about self-defense (in Jehovah's Witness)? (Not starting a debate or anything, I am just genuinely curious)

We believe to avoid violence and not to use force unless 100% necessary. Obviously thats a situation to situation call. We follow all laws of our residing government UNLESS they go against bible teachings.

Some may say, " Well there was war in the bible" True but we believe that were not under the Mosaic law and in fact under the new Christian Law set by example by Jesus and taken effect after his death.'

So JW's don't traditionally own fire arms unless for hunting reasons

Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Dude o_0, I'm started studying 3 months ago.

Very cool dude!!
Last edited by GoodCharloteSux at Jun 21, 2010,