So I'm starting to work on crafting modal progressions and I analyzed a song by Satriani (Always with me, always with you). I think I remember on here someone mentioned that you most often use a I IV V progression.

I analyzed the song and it's mainly in B Ionian with a section in the middle in B Aeolian. Both sections used a I IV V vi IV V V (i iv V VI iv V V) progression (plus extensions and suspensions) with the V as the shared pivot chord.

I haven't had the chance to analyze other modal songs, but do the majority of them use this progression and are there other commonly used progressions? Or is it really just free reign in progressions like it is with tonal music? Basically, what is standard practice. Any information on this is welcome.
(I know music is always free reign but you know what I'm asking I hope )
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
Last edited by FacetOfChaos at Jun 21, 2010,
I believe you can use any progression you want as long as the bass note is root note of the scale, you use chords that fit the mode (especially if your using extended chords) and it resolves to the root of the mode.

This video explains it much better (it uses Lydian, but the concept can be used with any mode): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRre6Qdx5DI
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
That song is not modal really, it just has a tone shift. Check So What by Miles Davis. That is a classical Modal Song. A more complex modal song by Miles is Nefertiti. Check out http://www.modaljazz.com/ for more explenations on what modal means.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
For me, Modal Progressions are progressions that...well, progress. A I-IV/I-V/I type thing really doesn't progress for my. The one that progression do not stay in the same mode through out, they change modes.

For example:

||: Dmaj9 | Dmaj9 | Dmaj9 | Dmaj7 | Dm9 | Dm9 | Dm9 | Dm9 :||

or

||: Gm7 | Gm7 | Gm7 | Gm7 | Bbm7 | Bbm7 | Bbm7 | Bbm7 :||

In both cases you NEED to change modes when the chord changes, and everything resolves nicely back to the first chord. Those are VERY simple examples but are also VERY common in modal stuff.

Do yourself favor and do what everyone who plays modally does...listen to and learn some music that uses modes.

Check out these tunes for practical modal application:

So What by Miles Davis - Dorian
Impressions - Dorian
Maiden Voyage by Herbie Handcock - Dorian
Song for John by Stanley Clarke and Chick Corea - Lydian with tensions
Km-Pee-Du-Wee by Steve Vai - Lydian
Norwegian Wood the Beatles - Mixolydian and Dorian
In Memory of Elizabeth Reed by The Allman Brothers - Dorian
Windows by Chick Corea - Lydian
Moondance - Dorian and Aeolian
More Ravi Shankar and Shakti than you can shake a stick at!
Last edited by MikeDodge at Jun 21, 2010,
Thanks, I'll check out ALL of that
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?