Hi
so here's the deal, I've never played guitar before and im planning to buy one soon. since it's my first guitar im planning to buy a mid range guitar, even if used. budget: tops $300-320. I listen to metal (the absence, metallica, iron maiden, machine head, testament..etc) and other bands like tool or pink floyd. I've been doing some research and I read the FAQ thread here. At first i was thinking of buying an Ibanez Rg350ex but now Im confused whether to get one or not because I've heard people say that the Edge III is junk and others say its great. Also i dont know if I should get a guitar with a fixed bridge or not. I know that having a FR bridge will make tuning take longer but I don't think It matters that much. For an amp im thinking about buying a peavy vypyr 15 or a line 6 spider III 15. I was thinking about getting a zoom g9.2t when I'm better at playing instead of getting a bunch of pedals (in the future, say..a year from now?) . So far here's what I'm considering:

Esp m100fm
Ibanez rg350ex.
ibanez rg2ex1 or rg3exfm1 ( I've heard bad things about their pick ups. i dont know whether they're good or not)
esp ex50
esp viper 100fm
Ibanez Rg321MH
Ibanez rg320FM
Ibanez rg350ex1

As you've probably noticed I didn't look into other brands as much. here's the other problem: i dont have any friends that play guitar so I'm not sure how I can test the guitar, espcially if I decide to buy a used one ( ex: from ebay). Any help would be appreciated.

P.S: please don't recommend any fender guitars. Although looks arent that important, I also wouldn't buy a guitar with a quilted top or whatever it's called (ex: Ibanez rga42fm)

Thank you!
Don't buy a cheap guitar with a FR clone, they are usually crap. You should just get a Generic starter's guitar, such as an epiphone, just something to learn on.
Gear:
American Strat (Modded with Kinman Pickups and more )
PRS Paul Allender (Don't like Cradle of Filth though )
Line 6 Spider Valve 212 (Broken )
Blackstar HT-5 Combo Amp

DR.ZOIDBERG!!!!! (Very inspirational)
but the thing is that im planning to keep the guitar for a while, and i've read a lot of bad reviews of starter guitars having problems after a couple of months..how about a mid range fixed bridge? like an ibanez rg321mh?
As far as the amp goes, stick with the Peavey Vypyr. It's a great amp for metal.
Just stay away from the Line 6 Spider.

The guitar... The best advice i can give you is to go out to a music store and try a few guitars, even if you're going to order online.
At least you'll know how each model feels in your hands.

Personally, i'd stick with one of the ESP/LTDs you mentioned.

Other than that, i'd get either a Ibanez ART 120 (Les Paul-style, like the LTD Eclipses), or a Yamaha Pacifica 112v or 212.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Sik9
I've never played guitar before...im planning to buy a mid range guitar

Yeah, you might wanna get something cheaper. Who knows, you might give up after a month or two and you've already sunk a couple hundred into gear you don't want anymore. Especially, if you've never played before. You'd be better off with a Epiphone Les Paul Jr. Especially if you can find one set up by the store. Plus they have a pretty good resale value for when you trade up to something better.
Quote by kangaxxter
Yeah, you might wanna get something cheaper. Who knows, you might give up after a month or two and you've already sunk a couple hundred into gear you don't want anymore. Especially, if you've never played before. You'd be better off with a Epiphone Les Paul Jr. Especially if you can find one set up by the store. Plus they have a pretty good resale value for when you trade up to something better.

I'm determined to learn guitar. Dropping it is out of the question.
Keep this in mind. If you buy 2nd-hand on eBay and decide you don't like the guitar you can always sell it back on eBay for more or less what you bought it for. If you can find a guitar for local pickup only, you can get it really cheap and maybe make a profit if you put it back on eBay.

Also, if you're planning on being a bedroom learner for the next year you may not even need an amp. You can pick up something along the lines of a Line6 POD or Toneport and get great sounds through your headphones. Also makes you less self-conscious about practicing when everyone can't hear you

If you're getting a metal guitar, steer clear of anything with a floating bridge until you're at least into RG1550 territory. Fixed bridge may be your best bet for a first guitar.
I don't quite understand why you wouldn't want a fender... The stratocaster is the most versatile instrument known to man!!! It sounds better at metal and shred than my jackson kelly, and thats saying something.
But if you really don't want a fender get an epiphone les paul or an epiphone sg.. Both are good and both will give you a variety of sounds (Y)
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
^ Exactly my thought Why not try the Squire Strat those are more in your price range. And they aren't that bad. I learned to play on a Squire Strat and I still have it.
If you are fully content in no Fender guitars go with an Epi Les Paul. That would be your best bet imo for a first guitar.
Last edited by offthewall91 at Jun 21, 2010,
Im gonna look at the les paul and the sg. i think im going to get a guitar with a fixed bridge.
what do you guys think about a Jackson JS32T kelly? ibanez rg321mh? ibanez rg2ex1?

as for the fenders, i dont know why but i just don't like them..
The Jackson's all-right, at least it seems so with a quick google search. Might be priced a little steep for what it offers, though. But I'd steer away from anything Ibanez that's lower tier than the RG350 series.

Still Offdawall91 and DaMarsbarperson are dead on with the Epi Les Paul. It's probably the one of the best guitars under $500US. Plus a Les Paul is a good guitar to learn and practice good guitar maintenance on. A Tune-O-Matic bridge is probably the easiest to learn how to set up action and intonation and the second easiest bridge to replace strings on (behind a Bigsby). Not like a Floyd Rose or a Wilkinson, which are more complicated in both regards.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
The Jackson's all-right, at least it seems so with a quick google search. Might be priced a little steep for what it offers, though...the Epi Les Paul. It's probably the one of the best guitars under $500US. Plus a Les Paul is a good guitar to learn and practice good guitar maintenance on. A Tune-O-Matic bridge is probably the easiest to learn how to set up action and intonation and the second easiest bridge to replace strings on (behind a Bigsby). Not like a Floyd Rose or a Wilkinson, which are more complicated in both regards.

i'm a bit suspicious about the jackson because the body is made of cedro wood. This is the 1st time i hear of that and i couldnt find any reviews/opinions about the guitar. same goes with the Jackson JS32RT Dinky. The JS32T sure looks sexy though.. As for the les paul which one do you exactly mean? im having trouble finding it... is it the Epi Les paul 100? or the les paul special II?
rondomusic.com

Try an Agile. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I've also heard that they outshine many Epiphones in their cost to value ratio.
Quote by siverstorm
rondomusic.com

Try an Agile. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I've also heard that they outshine many Epiphones in their cost to value ratio.

any specific models? i'm looking at the website right now, there's tons of them haha
Get an Agile AL-2000, great guitar, around 250$ with shipping, depending where you are. Then save up a bit more and get a Peavey Vypyr. I'd recomend the 30 watt version since it's more capable than the 15. The vypyr is one of the best starter amps there are! If you want something smaller, go with a Roland Micro Cube.
for a starters, don't get something with a Floyd or Floyd copy, theyre a bitch if you've never played one before. tuning takes a long time, and if you screw up its really frustrating. i would suggest something with a TOM, hardtail, or vintage tremolo. at least for a beginner.
trust me, i learned the hard way hahaha.
-Gibson SG Faded
-Ibanez RG5EX1L
-Custom Upside-Down Strat
-Modded Epiphone LP
-Fender Acoustic
*Marshall DSL15H
>Ibanez TS9
>MXR Micro Flanger
>Boss TU-3
>Danelectro Vibe
>Guyatone ST-2 Comrpessor
I'm amazed no one has recommended for the RG321 at all.

It's one of the "legendaries" in the OP's price range and is perfectly suited for Metal.

I personally vouch for the axe, it's absolute butter in your hands and it's a great axe to grow into, saving you money on the long run
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Quote by brunorod
Get an Agile AL-2000, great guitar, around 250$ with shipping, depending where you are. Then save up a bit more and get a Peavey Vypyr. I'd recomend the 30 watt version since it's more capable than the 15. The vypyr is one of the best starter amps there are! If you want something smaller, go with a Roland Micro Cube.

I looked up that guitar and WOW at all the positive reviews it had. Problem is I'm not sure if it's good for metal or not, it sure does sound sweet though

Quote by Dr.Tong
for a starters, don't get something with a Floyd or Floyd copy, theyre a bitch if you've never played one before. tuning takes a long time, and if you screw up its really frustrating. i would suggest something with a TOM, hardtail, or vintage tremolo. at least for a beginner.
trust me, i learned the hard way hahaha.

Yeah seems like it haha . im looking into fixed bridges now

Quote by PunishedOne

It's one of the "legendaries" in the OP's price range and is perfectly suited for Metal.

I personally vouch for the axe, it's absolute butter in your hands and it's a great axe to grow into, saving you money on the long run

So you think this is a good choice? ive heard some bad comments about that guitar and other Ibanez guitars around the same price, but honestly, none of them had a really good reason as to why the guitar would be a poor investment.
Quote by PunishedOne

+1
it's a great guitar, most likely the best metal guitar in its price range.
Quote by Sik9

So you think this is a good choice? ive heard some bad comments about that guitar and other Ibanez guitars around the same price, but honestly, none of them had a really good reason as to why the guitar would be a poor investment.

You're the ultimate judge here. You need to try out as many axes as you can so you know what feels good in your hands. Always keep in mind these forums can only suggest things to try, you are the one that makes the decision of what to get.
Jackson SLSMG Soloist (JB/Jazz)
Roland Micro Cube

Member of UG's gain \/\/hores-pm gpderek09 to join.
Im gonna hit up a guitar center sometime this week and test a couple of guitars..should be interesting since its gonna be my first time playing a guitar lol....

damn i just saw an ad on craigslist : ibanez rg3exfm1 + peavey vypyr 15w for $300. guitar looks clean..thats a steal! too bad i dont have the money now..
Quote by Sik9
As for the les paul which one do you exactly mean? im having trouble finding it... is it the Epi Les paul 100? or the les paul special II?

I'm sorry, I meant Epi Les Paul 100.

PS: Remember if you go to a Guitar Center, ask them for a discount. Many stores will give you 10% off just for asking.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi