was messing about on my guitar just now and you know to see if your guitar is somewhat in tune you do the whole 5th fret (4th on the G) thing.

well i was jamming along to nothing and i "invented" a chord that goes something like this

e|-0
B|-5
G|-0
D|-5
A|-0
E|-5

it sounds cool imo

anyone any idea what it's proper name is (if it has one?) otherwise it's now forever known as the Dempsey68 chord =P
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Well what you've got is a, g and e

which is an A7 (no 3.), meaning that it's not major, nor minor.

Or it could be an Em11, hmm yeah I think it must be.
i.e. the Dempsey68 chord xD

jiimi hendrix has his own chord, i rightly proclaim this as the Dempsey68 chord!
Quote by cheesecakes4
Well what you've got is a, g and e

which is an A7 (no 3.), meaning that it's not major, nor minor.

Or it could be an Em11, hmm yeah I think it must be.
Emadd11(no5)/A maybe, but Em11, no. Plus an 11 chord with the 11 in the bass would be really odd.

It makes more sense to me to look at it with A as the root. Sure it doesn't have a 3, but in context, that's easily overlooked.

Whirlwind by Dispatch uses this chord to function as an A7. It sort of pedals an A under a progression that looks a bit like this:

A7(no3) A7sus A7. Basically the way it works is it takes an A7 without the 3, then adds the 3 and suspends it, then "unsuspends" it.

--0---0-0---0--
--5---5-5---2--
--0---6-7---0--
--5---5-5---2--
--0---0-0---0--
---------------
If you listen to it, you should start to hear how it works.

Quote by Dempsey68
i.e. the Dempsey68 chord xD

jiimi hendrix has his own chord, i rightly proclaim this as the Dempsey68 chord!
Oh yeah, forgot to mention, you didn't come up with it

That's the thing about music, basically every (useful/practical) chord you could ever come up with has been used before in some form or another.

Even with the "Hendrix chord," it had been used in jazz well before Jimi wrote Purple Haze. Not to say he stole it, because I'm sure he didn't, but even though he came up with it, he wasn't the first.

Edit: Braddigan plays Whirlwind a bit differently in that show. I'll try to find the studio recording or something for you, although it's not really that important. Here you go. There's a clip of the song about 40-50 seconds in.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Jun 21, 2010,
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh MINE NOW! xD