what are some scales and shapes that i can use to make up riffs and solos like old in flames, soilwork, at the gates, amon amarth, scar symmetry stuff like that. any suggetsions?
Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian or Locrian.

Basicly, they just use all of the shapes, I don't know if they know what they're doing, but the probably know what scales to play over and most of the time it will be a pentatonic scale that has been expanded, as all of the modes are.
harmonic minor works for some stuff but sounds a little to evil for what im trying to achieve.
Quote by cheesecakes4
Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Aeolian or Locrian.

Basicly, they just use all of the shapes, I don't know if they know what they're doing, but the probably know what scales to play over and most of the time it will be a pentatonic scale that has been expanded, as all of the modes are.

can someone tab me these shape, im very limited when it comes to scales. thanks
Those shapes in tab will be useless to you, because ultimately as far as shapes go they're all exactly the same thing.

You can't learn scales from tabs, you need to know the notes they contain and how they're constructed.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Minor scales. In minor scales you can find mior harmonic/melodic/natural/other variations. Natural Minor is also known as Aeolian mode
Quote by cbex57
what are some scales and shapes that i can use to make up riffs and solos like old in flames, soilwork, at the gates, amon amarth, scar symmetry stuff like that. any suggetsions?

For all of those band the melody notes being played aren't as important as the harmonies with them, the phrasing of the riffs and the drumming. Basically look at everything apart from the actual scales and you should have a pretty good understanding of what makes melodeath.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Dude, just learn a crapload of shapes, most of them will be useful. It's like, you gor some harmonic minor riffage, then it starts hitting an augmented chord every other phrase. The major-ness of the augmented makes everything else sound more evil.

I guess I'm just saying, all theory is useful no matter what you play. Don't limit yourself to a certain thing your favorite bands play. You do, after all, want to play BETTER then them, right?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
this forum makes me cry

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Quote by glenthemann
this forum makes me cry

is that all? it gives me nightmares.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by glenthemann
this forum makes me cry

Quote by AeolianWolf
is that all? it gives me nightmares.

Care to explain why?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Care to explain why?

Because everyone wants the easy way out. They dont realize their melodic death metal idols didnt just pick up their guitars and find a melodic death metal scale and start making the good melodic music.

You cant just get a buncha scales and "shapes" and then just magically be able to start playing a certain way. What you have to do is go pick up a theory book. Forget about shapes, learn the notes on the guitar and apply your theory.

Its a bit hard to understand what I am saying until you learn atleast even a bit of these things and start making connections of your own. I was messing around with a CoB song last night and I figured out it was in D dorian, as soon as I did I could play any part of the song in any octave instantly without having to map out each note by note, and for instance the solo is a bit hard for me to play just yet, but I could "improv" (i suck) my own bit and it would still sound alright and in key. The best part is, if I want to write my own song and I say to myself "hey I want this to sound and have the same feeling as that one CoB song.." I can just simply remember that it was in D Dorian and start messing around in that mode and come up with my own song that kinda evokes the same feelings.

That said I am still learning a lot and am not fully 100% fluent with all the notes on the guitar, and I still am a bit fuzzy on a few things.

But dont bore yourself to death my friend, practice your technique, mess around, have fun. Just remember guitar is a life long learning experience, youll get there one day. Ive only been solidly playing for about a year now and lately ive been starting to notice pretty decent improvements, and it fuels me. I am nowhere near being able to play a lot of music purely cleanly and perfectly, there is a ton of technique involved in even some of the simplest songs if you want to pull them off absolutely perfectly.

Oh well. You'll figure out your own way I suppose.

In any case I dont know of any scales that would scream this and the scale has nothing to do with it being melodic either.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
Last edited by glenthemann at Jun 23, 2010,
Quote by glenthemann
You cant just get a buncha scales and "shapes" and then just magically be able to start playing a certain way. What you have to do is go pick up a theory book. Forget about shapes, learn the notes on the guitar and apply your theory.

this, but perhaps more importantly:

Quote by glenthemann
Because everyone wants the easy way out.

this. if you don't truly understand what you're doing, you're at a severe handicap. you can bring up the myth about how "theory limits your creativity", but it's pure crock and sometimes (though not always) used as an excuse for laziness.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by glenthemann
*lots of stuff*

You're making as many mistakes as TS anyway. They key to a certain sound is almost everything BUT the notes you choose. It's in the phrasing, the tone, the arrangement with the rest of the instruments, the drumming and so on and so forth.

Playing in dorian isn't what gave you a CoB type sound; it's using Alexi style licks, phrasing the way he does and so on.

I do agree with you and AeolianWolf that people are all too eager to look for the easy route but I'm also aware that if you dispair because of that then you dispair of the whole of humanity; only a fool would do things the hard way when there's an easier way.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.