Yeah i've read the sticky, but i didn't find any thing i liked and lots of them are discontinued. I'm looking to spend about £300, as far as spec is concerned i'm not too bothered just looking for a few ideas.

thanks in advance
you are what you is
Don't be afraid to look through a lot of the other threads too, if you had you might find that there are quite a few other people with the exact same question.

But, for the sake of being a nice guy for once in my life... Yamaha, Alvarez, & Washburn are some of the better brands to look into when you come in to that range. Yamaha is usually regarded as the best company for a budget guitar, because they tend to be well built and consistent in their quality.

Though you should also head down to a music store and just start playing a bunch of different models to get a feel for what you're looking for in an acoustic.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
Quote by mergapoot
Yeah i've read the sticky, but i didn't find any thing i liked and lots of them are discontinued. I'm looking to spend about £300, as far as spec is concerned i'm not too bothered just looking for a few ideas.

thanks in advance

As you are in the UK your first port of call, if you can't afford more than £300, would be Tanglewood.

If you can afford £300 right now, but could afford a few quid a month down the line, then you should look at the "Take It Away" Scheme. Set up by the Arts Council for Musicians only.
Basic ideas is, put down 10% minimum then the rest you get on 9 months interest free credit.
From there, the world is your lobster, in which case, you should look at Faith Guitars (totally, ridiculously awesome), for a few quid more than you have BUT, are ALL SOLID and come with a hard case, Grover tuners, Bone nut and saddle etc...very nice.
The Eclipse series are about £490 so that would cost you about £20 a month if you put down £300. And you would never need to upgrade again.

Secondhand market is a good idea, keep an eye on ebay for stuff local to you...or not so local, choice is yours.

Takamine are good, but pricier than Tanglewood and Yamaha 730's are reputedly very good for that sort of money.

Avoid Ibanez, Dean etc.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
in the uk i'd recommend tanglewood and yamaha as your two best bets in that price range.
Quote by patticake
in the uk i'd recommend tanglewood and yamaha as your two best bets in that price range.

My advice about the Yamaha 730, naturally came from you.

You are my Acoustic Goddess.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
just go into a store and try a bunch. After I spent a few hours in a local store playing acoustics this weekend I decided I am going to spend a little extra on a taylor as they just felt right in my hands and sounded well. Not saying you should get a taylor, but that you should get whats comfortable.

I know next to nothing about acoustics but this seems to me the best way to go about it, make the guitar work for you, not so that you have to work to adapt to it.

Are you telling me theyre out of dragons?
They never had dragons..
Who didnt?
The world..
GET THIS GUY OUT OF HERE, FIND ME A DRAGON
naturally

i like that - in fact, i liked it so much that i changed my user title to Acoustic Goddess. thanks

Quote by Skeet UK
My advice about the Yamaha 730, naturally came from you.

You are my Acoustic Goddess.

i find is that most new players tend to buy guitars that they outgrow pretty rapidly. on the other hand, a well taken care of guitar is easy to sell, and i love the process of trying all the guitars, then coming back another day to try all the best ones and so on is lots of fun!

Quote by glenthemann
just go into a store and try a bunch. After I spent a few hours in a local store playing acoustics this weekend I decided I am going to spend a little extra on a taylor as they just felt right in my hands and sounded well. Not saying you should get a taylor, but that you should get whats comfortable.

I know next to nothing about acoustics but this seems to me the best way to go about it, make the guitar work for you, not so that you have to work to adapt to it.