I'm getting ready to upgrade guitars, (epiphone les paul standard) to a more serious high-end guitar. I want something fast playing, and sounds great. I listen to stuff like Dream Theatre, As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, Lamb of God, Auguest Burns Red etc. My current amp is a peavey vypyr 75 watt modling amp, which has some pretty decent high gain sounds. I've really liked a Ernie Ball JP6 that i tried out, but i'd like to know your opinions. My price range is up to $2000.
My current gear:
2004 Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Seagull 25th Anniversary Edition
Peavey Vypyr 75
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Signature Wah
I'd take more than half, and put it towards an amp. Dude...You have a Spider, and you want a $2000 guitar?
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
honestly you have a good budget, just pick up guitars and see what feels good in your hands. Jacksons and Ibanez guitars are known for thin necks which apparently help with shredding? im fine with my schecter, its all up to you
Quote by Lp4life
I'm getting ready to upgrade guitars, (epiphone les paul standard) to a more serious high-end guitar. I want something fast playing, and sounds great. I listen to stuff like Dream Theatre, As I Lay Dying, All That Remains, Lamb of God, Auguest Burns Red etc. My current amp is a peavey vypyr 75 watt modling amp, which has some pretty decent high gain sounds. I've really liked a Ernie Ball JP6 that i tried out, but i'd like to know your opinions. My price range is up to $2000.

As the other guys have said..Get a better amp and then a shredding guitar. You can give Ibanez prestiges (RG,RGA,S,SV) a try. But there are also ESPs and Jacksons..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Don't listen to them, get your super guitar! it'll take long till you'll have the money to get a guitar like that again, the spider is great as I suppose it's only for practice.

I'd get an ESP for shredding with a killer whammybar!
I've owned 2 JP6s, 1 standard and 1 BFR. The thing that sets them apart for me is the trem, it's non-locking so no messing around with allen keys if you want to switch from E to drop D. There's some big differences between a standard model and a BFR, something to look into. For $2000 you'd need to go 2nd hand for a BFR I think though.

The new JPx looks an absolute beast but unfortunately no lefties so i'm out

PS, I play my JP6 through a Line6 Toneport UX1. No complaints from me!
Quote by cheesecakes4
Don't listen to them, get your super guitar! it'll take long till you'll have the money to get a guitar like that again, the spider is great as I suppose it's only for practice.

I'd get an ESP for shredding with a killer whammybar!
What? No TS, don't do this. I know from personal experience that having a really nice guitar with a shitty amp blows. If you don't want to go full out on a new amp, at least get an amp modeller or something so you don't have to play through garbage. It's not until you put two decent pieces of equipment together that you get a good sound, because before that, it just sounds silly no matter what guitar you have.

I will side with cheesecakes on the ESP side though. ESP is definetly my favourite manufacturer, they make some pretty sweet guitars and almost all of them or $1500 or less.
Use the guitar you feel most comfortable with. That will make your shredding sound better than if you are doing it with a guitar you feel uncomfortable playing. Stick with whatever you are used to.

Pretty much anything except for hollowbodies and semi-hollows will be good for shred.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Last edited by TMF128 at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by supersac
what ^ said and for shredding an ibby prestige is great

Ah, shit, missread. I thought he said Spider.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
I'll probably be uprgrading the amp shortly from now, but I'm looking for a serious guitar that won't have to be replaced for quite some time.

And if you think im bad for this, i know a guy who has a $3500 les paul gold top which he plays through a spider 3 75 w.
My current gear:
Peavey Vypyr 75
Ibanez RG550 <$500
Carvin Legacy 212 <$800
Tubescreamer <$100

With this setup you could even afford to get a second RG550 as a backup!
G&L Legacy
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez RG20thDY
Ibanez RG25thFP
Agile Septor Elite 727
Fender Evil Twin / Mesa 412
EVH 5150 III Mini / Avatar 212

Quote by Lp4life
I'll probably be uprgrading the amp shortly from now, but I'm looking for a serious guitar that won't have to be replaced for quite some time.

And if you think im bad for this, i know a guy who has a $3500 les paul gold top which he plays through a spider 3 75 w.

I can't even imagine the horror of seeing that in person...
dude. have you played through a nice amp? like minimum of 800 dollar amp? iwish i could own one but i cant. but ive played through them. even cheaper 400-800 dollar range amps.

there. is. no. comparison.

your wasting every cent if you blow 2000 and run it through a modeling amp. i second blowing 1/2 to 2/3 of that money on an amp and getting a guitar with the rest. it doesnt have to be big, just the right type and quality of amp.

generally, if th guitar is over about 500-600 its turning into something of respectable quality. you dont need to spend 2000 to get a decent guitar. if you really feel the need, go over 1000. you can get a top nothc guitar for 1000 if you look around and know what you want....especially used.

and if you want ibanez, thats even easier. asian made guitars are in general more consistant and have a better price-quality ratio. ie- a 600-1000 dollar ibanez is nearing the top of thier line without getting a signature series. in comparison you can barely get a nice gibson for that.
Yeah, I guess you guys are right, I should sell the vypyr for some sort of tube combo, which would leave me with enough to upgrade my guitar. Would a peavey 6505+ 112 be any good for my style? Any ideas on the amp?
My current gear:
Peavey Vypyr 75
Quote by Rocka4life
honestly you have a good budget, just pick up guitars and see what feels good in your hands. Jacksons and Ibanez guitars are known for thin necks which apparently help with shredding? im fine with my schecter, its all up to you

I have to agree with what this guy said. Head on down to your local guitar shop and just play everything until you find one that plays so great for you that you cant put it down
Quote by Lp4life
Yeah, I guess you guys are right, I should sell the vypyr for some sort of tube combo, which would leave me with enough to upgrade my guitar. Would a peavey 6505+ 112 be any good for my style? Any ideas on the amp?

Head over to the accessories & gear thread for amps bro, thats how i ended up getting my 5150 II.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
I would definitely invest in a peavey 6505+. I always play one whenever I go to guitar center.
So if I were you, I would put a tad more than half in to the peavey, and with your remaining funds, go get a new guitar. You can get more bang for your buck if you go used.
-LTD Alexi 600
-LTD MH-100 QM
-Schecter Omen 6
-B-52 AT-112
Quote by My Father
So is this guitar Mexican made or human made? Wait, shit, that was really racist wasn't it?

My shitty covers: http://www.youtube.com/simpleben09
Man, I love the Vypyr amp.
Anyway, 2g's could get you a washburn HM WI 526, it's got a parker designed carbon/glass epoxy neck, with the body, gear and sound of a washburn. It's seriously the ultimate shredder's guitar. You can get it for around 1800 US.
Personally I'd choose it over an ESP any day.
PRS I believe is still a bit out of your price range, correct me if I'm wrong.

So check it out man, I'd highly reccomend it.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
I would recommend an Ibanez; what model you choose is up to you. The necks are thin and fast, I don't think I could play another guitar with anything thicker.
With that budget for what you play, definitely check out some EBMM John Petrucci's, they're excellent guitars.
Quote by Lp4life

That was me almost 3 years ago

But yeah, save about $500-$800 of that $2000 and invest that towards your next amp choice whether it's a combo or a head that requires a cab. $1200-$1500 will get you some awesome guitars, but the amp is just as important of an extention of you as your guitar so save up for something sood
Last edited by bdof at Jun 27, 2010,