Poll: How do you feel about the new media?
Poll Options
View poll results: How do you feel about the new media?
This is great. It's a nice change of pace from network television.
8 42%
I'm not sure yet. I think it's worth looking into.
5 26%
I don't care, I get my news elsewhere and don't have a problem with it.
6 32%
Why the hell should I listen to these people? They're nobody.
0 0%
Voters: 19.
With a good portion of today's people up in arms about bias and corruption in the media, there has been an uprising of new, independent media sources often centered around youtube.

The most popular of which is The Young Turks.

http://www.theyoungturks.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0GUPnTDDIw

"We are a rare show that combines all of the news that people care about in one place. We're not afraid to talk about politics and entertainment and sports and pop culture. But that isn’t the revolution either.

The real revolution is in daring to be honest with people. We don't patronize our viewers or lie to them. We have real conversations and deliver the news honestly."

How do you feel about this new movement? Do you trust them?

Poll coming.
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
I love The Young Turks. They're honest and I trust them, not completely mind you. Obviously they favor a lot of Libs from time to time, but if someone on the left ****s up they'll tell you about it.
Last edited by Zomby Woof at Jun 21, 2010,
I believe that you can't fully trust the media at all. Just learn to analyse what the media pumps out there and come to your own conclusions.
Quote by ComradSputnik
Why do they call themselves the young turks?

Young Turk (n),
1. Young progressive or insurgent member of an institution, movement, or political party. 2. Young person who rebels against authority or societal expectations. (American Heritage Dictionary)
-Jim Morrison
Quote by SlinkyBlue
Young Turk (n),
1. Young progressive or insurgent member of an institution, movement, or political party. 2. Young person who rebels against authority or societal expectations. (American Heritage Dictionary)

For me it brings up the connection with the reformers of the Ottoman empire such as 'Ataturk' etc, and since one(or more don know for sure) of the hosts is Turkish I sense it as some sort of propaganda.
Quote by ComradSputnik
For me it brings up the connection with the reformers of the Ottoman empire such as 'Ataturk' etc, and since one(or more don know for sure) of the hosts is Turkish I sense it as some sort of propaganda.

I don't even like them, but are you actually being serious?
Quote by ComradSputnik
I sense it as some sort of propaganda.

Propoganda? They don't work for anyone but themselves, how can it be propoganda?
-Jim Morrison
Quote by webbtje

Well, duh. One of them is Turkish, that means it must be propaganda.

How can you not follow this simple logic?
Quote by CodChick
I believe that you can't fully trust the media at all. Just learn to analyse what the media pumps out there and come to your own conclusions.
This.

Also...
I'm more about critical thinking than about absorbing certain things. I admit I have biases which influence how I react to things, but I also try to stay educated. I try to be logical about things. If something isn't logical or doesn't make sense, I generally get annoyed. That's how I filter media.
Quote by webbtje

Well not really propaganda, it depends whether you link it to the history or not.
but it's as if that the young turk movement brought justice and objectivity.
I for one see many flaws and the injustice during the leadership of the young turks.

so all I'm saying is since one of the hosts of that news show is Turkish there is a reference to the Turkish history.
Funny thing about 'new media.' A couple years ago social news was gonna be the new media. Then the successful (serious) ones were bought by the MSM and flooded by idiotic comments from the main page of the owning company, alienating old users and ruining the community feel that was driving them.

Yay capitalism.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Psh, I'm happy with my Murdoch owned papers. In Britain there are so many bloody papers, and one can always rely on the BBC and Channel 4 News, so I can easily find what's happening and weedle out the opinions. Or maybe that's terribly naive of me to rust the doctrines of corporate machines.

I don't care for this sort of 'new media', smug American liberals, who are still about as left wing as a British Conservative, spouting dreadfully cool and hilarious comment on American issues. Give me Charlie Brooker and Armando Ianucci.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
I find the characters relatable, but I always have a hard time trusting anybody in the media who tells me not to trust anybody else in the media. It can all sound a bit Mussolini to me.