Okay, so saturday night I was playing a show. First band I let use my head and cab, and evrything sounded great. Second band took the stage with their own gear, and then we closed off the night. Unfortunately though when I plugged everything back in I was getting like no volume and mostly just static. Tried different pedals and cords but nothing was working.

Strange thing is though, through the other bands Dual Recto, my tone was really very very muddy, so I thought maybe a guitar issue or something.

So today I get my gear home and start going through it. Pulled the power tubes and re set them. Same thing going on. Take out the pre amp tubes and re set them, still a no go. I can hear some slight distortion going on behind a wall of white noise and static.

I take the Boss GT 8 though and plug into the effects return of the head and bam, working great. So this would imply that the pre-amp tubes are gone, which to me is strange as I thought the power tubes would be the first to go.

My question is, is it possible it is only one pre tube gone? Can I buy one tube right now and test each one and see if it makes a difference? I know I will eventually have to replace them all, but I don't get paid yet, and we have a gig on thursday. If that won't work I'll use the GT 8 and plug into the effects, but of course I'd rather have my 6505+ back up and in full force.

Thoughts?
Yep, you can test the preamp tubes to see which one is gone, and just replace that one for now.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
Quote by FuzzLove
Yep, you can test the preamp tubes to see which one is gone, and just replace that one for now.

Sweet!! Hopefully it's only one pre amp tube gone, lol. I can still hear some gain coming out, but very, very faint, and I still get all that white noise and hum, etc.
Hmmm...

Try getting an instrument cable and plugging/unplugging the jack into the FX loop input/outputs a fair bit - I had a similar sounding problem with my 6505+ and it's a dirty FX loop. You saying that it worked with something in the FX loop makes me think that it may be the same issue.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
Hmmm...

Try getting an instrument cable and plugging/unplugging the jack into the FX loop input/outputs a fair bit - I had a similar sounding problem with my 6505+ and it's a dirty FX loop. You saying that it worked with something in the FX loop makes me think that it may be the same issue.

hes not saying that the gt-8 was in the effects loop, it was plugged straight into the power amp. what this means is that its definetely not a power amp problem.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by nutinpwnsgibson
hes not saying that the gt-8 was in the effects loop, it was plugged straight into the power amp. what this means is that its definetely not a power amp problem.

This!

I just plugged into the return of the loop so I could test the power amp section alone without the pre-amp, and it worked fine and as normal as it should. The head is almost a year old now (or atleast a year since I bought it) so I know new tubes would be around the corner eventually. It's just that I ahve so many other bills, and I also don't get paid for another week, so I am tryign to get a quick fix on the go, thus creating this thread about just hopefully switching up the one tube that may be gone, which is what I hope is the problem, short term wise of course.
Didn't see that - I'd be tempted to try anyway though.

Damn my skim reading.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
So, bumping this back up because the same damn thing happened to me at a show on thursday night.

The amp was fine and sounding good for 95% of our set, then on our last song the amp did the exact same thing. How is it possible to burn out another pre-amp!?!?!?! I realize I only changed the one pre-amp, so would I maybe just have to change them all up to see if that fixes the problem? Would there be some other issue going on?