If you're talking riffs, then there's no better band than AC/DC. Sooo many of their songs are riff driven classics that it would be silly to name them all. Thank you Malcolm Young, the unsung hero of rock and roll.
Marshall amplifiers are the truest purveyors of rock and roll known to man.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Holy crap, check this out!
Quote by seemeel
If you're talking riffs, then there's no better band than AC/DC. Sooo many of their songs are riff driven classics that it would be silly to name them all. Thank you Malcolm Young, the unsung hero of rock and roll.

You want a riff band? Forget AC/DC. Their riffs are all the same. Now Black Sabbath, that's a riff band. Tony and Geezer built the most powerful riffs in history and taught generations of guitarist and bassists how to riff. Sleep is one example of students of Black Sabbath, also with awesome riffs.
Yeah Antares is my fav of theirs. Pulse of awakening is still good in my opinion but is nothing compared to the second album!

And ACDC is the shit I saw them live like 3 weeks ago in Stockholm, that was great! You know the first seconds on songs like highway to hell or back in black everyone recognize the riff and goes "YEAAAH"
like here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DixnDjsEta0
System Of A down - Sugar
Machine Head - Davidian
Machine Head - Old
Machine Head - Death Church
Stone Temple Pilots - Down
Rush - Xanadu
Led Zeppelin - Celebration Day
Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song
Led Zeppelin - Heartbreaker
Led Zeppelin - Livin' Lovin' Maid
Led Zeppelin - Out On The Tiles
Led Zeppelin - Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp

Actually, all of Led Zeppelin's songs...
"Old. Man. Dead. Hand."

-Robb Flynn
Quote by groovy-elephant
You want a riff band? Forget AC/DC. Their riffs are all the same. Now Black Sabbath, that's a riff band.

While I disagree that AC/DC's riff are all the same (similar, we might say) I do agree with your suggestion Black Sabbath.

I am waiting for some 14 year old to come along and say 'you can't talk about AC/DC this is the metal thread'.

"And give a man an amplifier and a synthesizer, and he doesn't become whoever, you know. He doesn't become us."

Love 'em or hate 'em, you gotta admit that the riff in Blind by Korn is pretty amazing.
"Old. Man. Dead. Hand."

-Robb Flynn
Quote by Captain Sadler

Actually, all of Led Zeppelin's songs...

Never was a truer post written. I like your style.

Periphery - Icarus lives
Scar Symmetry - Hologrpahic Universe
Children of Bodom - Triple Corpse Hammer Blow
Meshuggah - Rational Gaze

Some of my faves at the moment, though it changes daily
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Ok i know i posted this in the metal thread, but dont bash me for this, I very much enjoy Status Quo's straight forward rock'n'roll riffs heheheheh

aah yes Children of bodom has some very nice riffs, fits perfectly with the good lead guitars (Alexi is cool!
Last edited by myrtorp at Jun 21, 2010,
I really enjoy Franz Ferdinand's riffs! Also that song by the Futureheads is amazing. Neil Young! What a riffmonster! It's all about Pete Townshend though, and I suppose Beck has his moments.

I am waiting for some 14 year old to come along and say 'you can't talk about this, this is the metal forum'.
Last edited by webbtje at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by Captain Sadler
Love 'em or hate 'em, you gotta admit that the riff in Blind by Korn is pretty amazing.

KoRn has a lot of great riffs.

Also Rapture: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2b4lshhq-sc
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by webbtje
I really enjoy Franz Ferdinand's riffs! Also that song by the Futureheads is amazing.

Joking or not, I agree with this.

Also, every Biffy Clyro song with a decent riff.

Metal is gay.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Jesus christ, Webb, they're not even budging. This thread is just an abomination!
Free your mind and your ass will follow
The kingdom of heaven is within
Open up your funky mind and you can fly

Sumdeus
Quote by eazy-c
Joking or not, I agree with this.

Also, every Biffy Clyro song with a decent riff.

Yes and yes! Except that I only like one Futureheads song.
Alice In Chains-Them Bones
Alice In Chains-I Know Something 'Bout You
Alice In Chains-Man In The Box
Alice In Chains-We Die Young
System Of A Down-Holy Mountains (love the middle eastern sounds)
SOAD-B.Y.O.B
SOAD Question
SOAD Mr. Jack
SOAD Ego Brain
SOAD Know
SOAD..pretty much the whole toxicity album is awesome
Korn-Freak On A Leash;Blind; Dead Bodies Everywhere; Here To Stay; Falling Away From Me, Right now; Somebody someone
Nirvana; Breed SLTSp. Heart Shaped Box; Aneurysm;
Pearl Jam; Even Flow, Alive; Once; Why Go; Do The Evolution
Rage Against The Machine-Killin in the Name, Take The Power Back, Freedom, Bulls on Parade, Sleep now in the fire; Bombtrack
Incubus; A Certain Shade Of Green (probably one of my favourites of anything form the last few years); Privilege; Megalomaniac; Circles,New Skin, Redefine,
Foo fighters The Pretender, All My Life
Pain Of Salvation; Reconcilitation; Rope Ends, People Passing By
Metallica; Master Of Puppets, Creeping Death, Fight Fire With Fire, Enter Sandman, Battery, one
Red Hot Chili Peppers; Funky Monks, Around the world
Chimaira-Ressurection
Machine Head-Imperium..
i'm sorry for the huge amount...i've left quite a few out but these are some of my faves..
The riff in Sound of The Underground by Girls Aloud is pretty sweet, sounds like a Darkthrone cast-off.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Only free-form Jazz is real!
Quote by Steve08
Acid probably makes you feel less like a hedonistic raver piece of trash, too.

True dat, A Love Supreme by John Coltrane has one hell of a riff.
Quote by ChemicalFire
What the hell is with most of these lists? Did I see Foo Fighters and RHCP or was that my imagination?

Threadstarter, bless you for linking Machine Gun Messiah. One of my favorite Sybreed tracks.

Anyway, I like a lot of metalcore riffs actually, though when it comes to actual metal, my favs are either thrash or tech death. Examples, anything off of Exodus' Shovel-Headed Kill Machine, or Psycroptic's Symbols of Failure.

Example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=NZAOYVlx8q8&feature=related

The riffs at 0:36 - 1:10 or so.
Last edited by Bottled Ink Co. at Jun 21, 2010,
I don't understand how you could bring up Psycroptic's riffing and not link a Scepter Of The Ancients song...

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
I don't understand how you could bring up Psycroptic's riffing and not link a Scepter Of The Ancients song...

I like Symbols of Failure more than Scepter of the Ancients. I know I'm in the minority, since it seems SotA is the fan favorite.
First two >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> other two.

it's a fact bro, deal with it

Sumdeus
Quote by romencer17
First two >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> other two.

it's a fact bro, deal with it

I actually like the latter two more.

But uh, I can "deal with" everyone else positing it fact that the first two > the others.
Some that I'm surprised I haven't seen yet.

Metallica-Seek and Destroy, No Remorse

Velvet Revolver-Slither

(not sure if VR is really metal but that riff kicks ass)
Quote by seemeel
While I disagree that AC/DC's riff are all the same (similar, we might say) I do agree with your suggestion Black Sabbath.

I am waiting for some 14 year old to come along and say 'you can't talk about AC/DC this is the metal thread'.

HUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Horn - Landscapes on Hold II. The climax riff around 4 minutes in is fantastic in every way.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Decapitated- Spheres of Madness
Crazier than a fish with titties.
Quote by Lord_Hondros
That was a great troll, and it made me laugh. Which then made me cause I was having a good time being scared shitless

Quote by behind_you
Grandfather clocks and jizz.
^ Great riff

Intro riff to God Of Emptiness - Morbid Angel

Actually, every riff in that song is pretty damn good
Check out the song "Smoke on the Water" by Deep Purple for a great riff
Quote by Cianyx
^Winrar

more like winzip...
Quote by PwarDuex
your name is about as funny as a burning orphanage

Cryptopsy - Phobophile

It's so awesome, I keep on trying to play all of them, fail, and end up in the kitchen with a triple, screaming amputee.
Gear:
Gibson Explorer
Marshall JCM 900 Dual Reverb Combo
Ibanez TS-9 Tubescreamer
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner
Tons of Green Tortex picks
Lots of other crap...