Hey guys, I don't usually hang around the GG&A forums, but i got some questions.

Basically I'm doing some research right now as I look for a new amp.
I just spent $900 on a used guitar, so if I go and buy anything over $150 my parents may kill me.

Basically I gotta wait till next summer before making any purchases.
Right now I have limited experience with many tube amps. I've played religiously on my friend's Peavey Classic 50 whenever I hang out with him, but I kinda want an amp for myself.

I'm looking for a versatile amp that can handle everything from high gain, to soft cleans. (I'm lookin for tubes, getting tired of digital modelling.)
I'm looking at a budget of $300-$500 MAX
You can recommend stuff over the budget as long as it's under $1000. I may get lucky and find a better job by the time i'm prepared to purchase.
I'm willing to look used if I can find something.
The amp needs to have enough power to handle playing with a drummer (and maybe a whole band in the future).
BUT
It needs to be quiet enough to play in an apartment/condo because I'll be moving into one when I go to university.

I play a shitton of power metal, and from the links below you might be able to tell that it's Japanese power metal. But I also play some jazz once in a while, as well as low gain rock. Which is why it needs to be versatile.

Some examples for tones I'm going after:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWdgZRVnTmM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeSoC7cFrkE&playnext_from=TL&videos=JQEwGiDmb5M&feature=sub (The first two samples mainly, but the rest is the same lol)

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by siverstorm at Jun 21, 2010,
used Carvin Legacy

not super common in Canada though, mind you they are only like $1100 new I think. X100Bs can be found more easily for around $400.

^ Mesa Nomads can be found cheap too
I know it's bad etiquette to bump but I would've figured more people could've helped me out?

I mean I thought I'd get way more responses. I'm not that well read with amps so I was hoping some people here would help out. Usually people start recommending guitars like crazy in EG, I thought it would be the same here...

All I know is that the wattage of whatever amp I get should probably be 40W or under (I hear 50's can get really loud and I don't exactly need "really loud" at all)

A small list I've compiled:
- Bugera V22
- Bugera BC30-212
- Peavey Valveking 112
- Peavey 6505 112
- Peavey Classic 30

But I'm not 100% if these amps are capable of what I'm looking for.

My friend with the Classic 50 doesn't have any distortion pedals so I don't know how heavy the amp can get and I also don't know if the 30 is similar in tone or not.

I'm looking for whatever recommendations work as long as they stay under $1000 (the cheaper the better, but if I see a good deal in the 600-800 range I'd probably jump on it.)
Last edited by siverstorm at Jun 21, 2010,
I wouldn't go much over 30 watts tube. It's easily loud enough for a band and I can sort of make mine quiet, it just doesn't sound nearly as ballin'. I almost ended up with a 50 watter, but that would have just killed my neighbors. And raped my dog.
If you're looking for something just to play in an apartment, well even a 5 watt Valve Junior can shake the walls a bit, not even fully cranked. I've witnessed it.
Buy your stage amp and forget about the whole "it has to be quiet too" crap. If you need to practice quietly buy a headphone amp lke a Vox Amplug. Don't sacrifice your stage tone for the want of a $50 headphone amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Buy your stage amp and forget about the whole "it has to be quiet too" crap. If you need to practice quietly buy a headphone amp lke a Vox Amplug. Don't sacrifice your stage tone for the want of a $50 headphone amp.

That's some good advice right there, people should say that to people more often.
"In modern music, a lot of people are really stuck on the example, asif it were the idea. It takes millions of examples to articulate an idea, so don't get stuck on the f*cking example." - Joshua Homme, 2008.
unless the amp doesn't have a master volume you can play it at bedroom levels.
you're not going to hear the difference between preamp and power amp distortion at normal conversation levels anyway.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
I plan on getting an amp that can handle small stage volumes as well as bedroom volumes.

Which is why I'm not 100% on any 50W amps, those seem to be overkill.

Also, if I were to get a more "classic rock" sounding amp, could I make it more "metal" sounding with a pedal? Or should I look into specific amps that accept pedals easier?

I don't really understand the difference in amps that can or can't accept pedals well. Like If I put a distortion pedal in front of a Peavey Classic would it not also work to the same effectiveness if I put the pedal in front of a Valveking?

I know they would have different tones but shouldn't a typical amp be capable or a variety of tones?
The problem is I can't find the 40W XXX used.
The JSX is 120W
The Carvin V3 is 100W
And I can't find a used Mesa Mark IV under $1000 (Not to mention it's 85W)

I'm hearing mixed things about attenuators.
1) They're great for making a 120W amp sound quieter.
2) They don't work as well as they're expected to.

If I had no choice and ended up with a ridiculously high wattage amp (70W-120W) would an attenuator help when playing at bedroom levels?