I've been considering buying a seven string after finding myself downtuning as far a Drop B but still not getting a heavy enough sound for what I want to start doing with the guitar. Well...that and I've been listening to a lot of Meshuggah and Bulb recently. Anyway, I'd like a seven string that's good for metal but can still do cleans relatively well, and I'm probably looking at a budget of $700-$1400.

What could you guys recommend for me? A link to the guitar in question and maybe even a demo video or something would be greatly appreciated.
Do you plan on playing any Meshuggah? If you are, I'd say go the extra mile (Or string in this case..) for an 8-string. Maybe check out the Damian Elite guitars?? I played the six-stringed version, pretty solid guitar right there. I was a big fan of the original Damians, so I wanted to check out the Elites.

Also, while I'm not a big fan of active EMG's, they really help bring out the low end you need for the extra string or two.
Quote by TheAbsentOne
Do you plan on playing any Meshuggah? If you are, I'd say go the extra mile (Or string in this case..) for an 8-string. Maybe check out the Damian Elite guitars?? I played the six-stringed version, pretty solid guitar right there. I was a big fan of the original Damians, so I wanted to check out the Elites.

Also, while I'm not a big fan of active EMG's, they really help bring out the low end you need for the extra string or two.
If I got an eight it'd probably be more really progressive stuff, but it seems kinda intimidating to have that many strings so I wasn't sure if I should get a seven first or take a dive right off the bat.
Well on budget, agile guitars would be good?
Depends if you prefer names or price tags.

As you have an ESP, you could try an ESP stef.

Or, ibanez do 7 strings well.
Agile interceptor pro with blackouts would be great for metal
and the blackouts would be better than 707's for cleans.

About $750 at rondomusic
Guitars:
LTD Alexi-600 White & Black
LTD Alexi-200 Black(Death Adder pickup & Gold OFR)
Agile Interceptor Pro 727 7-string
Jackson JS30RR rhoads
Jackson DKMGT
Squire telecaster

amps:
Bugera 6262 212 loaded with WGS veteran 30's
Ibanez Apex 2. It has 2 DiMarzio PAF's, that can handle distortion and cleans well.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Glenn Guitar
Well on budget, agile guitars would be good?
Depends if you prefer names or price tags.

As you have an ESP, you could try an ESP stef.

Or, ibanez do 7 strings well.
I've kinda looked into an ESP Stef or a 7 string RGA, I had never thought to look into Agile. Thanks.