i'm trying to personalize my guitar a bit more, one of my friends said that you could use sharpie permanent pen on the inlays to dye them, will this work. i don't want to ruin my fretboard =s
Quote by BlackCross
i'm trying to personalize my guitar a bit more, one of my friends said that you could use sharpie permanent pen on the inlays to dye them, will this work. i don't want to ruin my fretboard =s

dont do it. what wood/inlays do you have?
02 MiM Telecaster-----\__Digitech Whammy__TS-10__535q__DE-7__6505+ 112
91 Heartfield Talon II-/
i have a rosewood fretboard, and pearl inlays. I would like red inlays but i don't want a massiv labour-intensive or massively expenisve process.
It will work for a while then the ink will come off the inlays of the lower frets. It won't damage a darker colored fretboard, but I'm sure you're not gonna do this to a maple fretboard.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by BlackCross
i have a rosewood fretboard, and pearl inlays. I would like red inlays but i don't want a massiv labour-intensive or massively expenisve process.

If they're round already you could replace them with actual red dot inlays, wouldn't be expensive or even hard. I've just never taken the time to do it.

Sorry, for the semi-double post.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by Bertallica
If they're round already you could replace them with actual red dot inlays, wouldn't be expensive or even hard. I've just never taken the time to do it.

Sorry, for the semi-double post.

You mean stickers? if so where from . (i live in UK)
wouldn`t use one on the fretboard, using it on the body is ok- how do you think the JS black dog was born.
Just save up some money and get colored inlays installed. If you do it with a marker you’ll regret it by the time you turn thirteen.
Quote by jpnyc
Just save up some money and get colored inlays installed. If you do it with a marker you’ll regret it by the time you turn thirteen.

lol im 15..
Only place I could quickly fine red dot inlays was eBay .
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by BlackCross
and i don't know how to remove my current inlays

An exact-o knife or a drill press & being really careful.

Then a little glue before you pop in the new ones.
- Albert Einstein -
Quote by BlackCross
so you drill through your inlays until they beome loose, that sounds risky..

If you don't think you can do it then get it done professionally or use stickers or what ever.

But I wouldn't use a red marker then have it bleed into the dots and eventually staining them pink. Then there's no going back.
- Albert Einstein -
i think i can do it, and it would be worth it for the end result. would superglue stick them in and would i have to sand away at the fretboard afterwardds?
Quote by BlackCross
i think i can do it, and it would be worth it for the end result. would superglue stick them in and would i have to sand away at the fretboard afterwardds?

Superglue might ruin the wood or the plastic dot. Wood glue should do the trick, and I'd cut the dot to the depth of the hole so you'd have to do only a little sanding.
- Albert Einstein -
okay seriously, here's what you do. Go to your local office supply store, and this company called 'avery' makes these little colored dots. Find the size closest to your dots, and then simply place them over them. Push them down real good, they'll hold for awhile and won't ruin your guitar.
Guitars
1998 Gibson Les Paul Standard
1992 Ibanez RG550
Amplifier
1978 Marshall JMP 2203
Heat up the current inlays to heat up the glue and you'll then be able to remove the inlays easier. And yes, You might need to sand the new inlays. But you're going to need some pretty fine sandpaper to finish the job because sanding with 80 grit and not going all the way to, say, 1500 grit or finer sandpaper will make your inlays look pretty rough. Oh and a dab of superglue might work but you might also want to look into glues. Stewmac makes some special superglues and I use them. (Make sure to wear eye protection while gluing or be prepared to lose an eye, There's always that one small chance that you could regret)
Always tin your strings.

_____

Don't be afraid to be honest.
Last edited by Gargoyle2500 at Jun 22, 2010,