Page 1 of 2
Hey everyone. Me and my best friend have decided to quit smoking. We have been told its easy, we didnt find it too easy.
we have tried nicotine patches, gum, NHS stuff but it doesnt work too well.

we are both under certain degrees of stress plus our GCSE exams. Our friends told us how easy they quit and how "they did it in one day".

my science teacher told me something that stuck in my head. "im under alot of stress as it is. if i attempt to quit, i will be under even more stress, i dont know how i would cope." im wondering whether i should sort out my stress related problems first or not?

anyway, can you all give me and my friend advice? i have searched the internet before you ask.

some stories and past experiences and tips will be greatly appreciated.
http://www.youtube.com/user/charliegray12212

check out my youtube channel for guitar covers.

Quote by Radman_Paiza
I saw it with my dudefriend. But I'm totally not gay, because I have a girlfriend. She's imaginary, but atleast I have one.
1. Keep smoking.
2. Finish GCSEs.
3. Quit smoking.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

...Of course you can quit in one day, that's kind of the point. You stop, then don't do it any more. But it's not easy. Obviously.

EDIT:
Quote by SteveHouse
1. Keep smoking.
2. Finish GCSEs.
3. Quit smoking.

But if you get into that mindset you'll find something else to "finish first", over and over again until you don't quit at all.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Last edited by asator at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by SteveHouse
1. Keep smoking.
2. Finish GCSEs.
3. Quit smoking.

Luckily i have 1 more exam on the 30th of june! my friend has already finished hers, but she said she wants to quit together, i guess thats better than quitting alone right?

Quote by Radman_Paiza
I saw it with my dudefriend. But I'm totally not gay, because I have a girlfriend. She's imaginary, but atleast I have one.
Eh, not to be a dick, but if you think GCSEs are hard, you're gonna shit your pants and die when you get to A-level
Quote by Thepoison92
Eh, not to be a dick, but if you think GCSEs are hard, you're gonna shit your pants and die when you get to A-level

I know, just thinking about A levels encourages me to revise and do well on the GCSEs

Quote by Radman_Paiza
Quote by Thepoison92

He didn't say that. Or imply it. Stress is a healthy, involuntary reaction, even if it seems disproportional to the receiver, as it may often do.

Distract yourself. Clean the house. Go outside for a walk. Play video games. Just distract yourself somehow.
Not smoke while you're only 15/16?

It's dirty enough as it is, doing it at school is just disgusting.
Posted from Ubuntu.

Squier Precision Bass Special in Antique Burst (LH)
Rotosound Swing 66s, 45-105

On slapping on a bass:
Quote by supersac
pretend its a woman
i have no helpful advice

Quote by druggietoad2k5
Not smoke while you're only 15/16?

It's dirty enough as it is, doing it at school is just disgusting.

it was kind of a peer pressure related thing. most of my friends did it except me and my best friend, after a few we got hooked (over a year ago now) we was planning to quit last november, then the GCSE stuff started and all the coursework and revision piled up even though i was completing it to standard.

Quote by Radman_Paiza
Quote by asator

But if you get into that mindset you'll find something else to "finish first", over and over again until you don't quit at all.

Nope. Big exams are a major stressor, it wouldn't be healthy to try to quit right now.

And yes, having a quitting buddy is supposed to be helpful, but I don't know that much about substance dependency when all is said and done.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I quit a 4 year smoking habit in one day. Cold turkey is the only way to go. Ofcourse after some time I got stressed out for non-related reasons and started smoking again. If anything, get rid of factory ciggies and move on to rolling tobbacco, it`s cheaper and apparently less damaging. Or start doing sports, that`ll make you see how ciggies ****ed you up.
Quote by Craigo
He didn't say that. Or imply it. Stress is a healthy, involuntary reaction, even if it seems disproportional to the receiver, as it may often do.

Distract yourself. Clean the house. Go outside for a walk. Play video games. Just distract yourself somehow.

i play guitar alot, write songs, me and best friend whos trying to quit we sometimes play "the sims 3" together as it is calm, relaxing and distracting. sadly they cant all last

Quote by Radman_Paiza
Creating new threads helps you quit smoking.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by anorexorcist15
i play guitar alot, write songs, me and best friend whos trying to quit we sometimes play "the sims 3" together as it is calm, relaxing and distracting. sadly they cant all last

Just keep distracting yourself. Buy a rubix cube. You get the jist by now.
Thank you for the friendly advice everyone! to all those saying how bad it is starting smoking at such a young age yes i know it is. i completly regret it. im not bothered about it now my mian focus is quitting once these exams are all over.

again, thank you everyone!

Quote by Radman_Paiza
Quote by anorexorcist15
,can you all give me and my friend advice?

For me, the smoking was an oral fixation. Something to do every time i was doing something that didn't require 2 hands. Driving, Walking, etc.

In order to stop the smoking, use a substitute fixation. I used gum and lollypops. In fact, I was going through a bag of 100 lollypops a week.
Now, while my teeth may hate me a bit for the 2-3 weeks I was doing this, in the end, I am now smoking much less - (still smoke at parties) - but I am down from nearly a pack a day to now a pack every month, sometimes a bit longer. I am happy with the results. I still enjoy smoking so,

This is just what worked for me. While I haven't quit entirely, it helped me cut down considerably.
Hopefully you can get some results to buddy, Good luck.
Quote by JJ2003
For me, the smoking was an oral fixation. Something to do every time i was doing something that didn't require 2 hands. Driving, Walking, etc.

In order to stop the smoking, use a substitute fixation. I used gum and lollypops. In fact, I was going through a bag of 100 lollypops a week.
Now, while my teeth may hate me a bit for the 2-3 weeks I was doing this, in the end, I am now smoking much less - (still smoke at parties) - but I am down from nearly a pack a day to now a pack every month, sometimes a bit longer. I am happy with the results. I still enjoy smoking so,

This is just what worked for me. While I haven't quit entirely, it helped me cut down considerably.
Hopefully you can get some results to buddy, Good luck.

Thank you when i first started it was around 8-12 a day, then the exams and coursework came along, it jumped to a packet. right now i have cut down to 5-6. hopefully in the next 2 weeks that figure will be 0.

Quote by Radman_Paiza
Quote by anorexorcist15
it was kind of a peer pressure related thing. most of my friends did it except me and my best friend, after a few we got hooked (over a year ago now) we was planning to quit last november, then the GCSE stuff started and all the coursework and revision piled up even though i was completing it to standard.

Many kids can handle the stress of GCSE stuff without smoking, you should be able to as well. You don't need to smoke to relieve stress. As Craigo has repeatedly said, just distract yourself with something else.
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
Quote by toby3p0
Many kids can handle the stress of GCSE stuff without smoking, you should be able to as well. You don't need to smoke to relieve stress. As Craigo has repeatedly said, just distract yourself with something else.

i started before the exams. and yes i try my best to distract myself!

Quote by Radman_Paiza
"Quit together"

To adhere to the pit

Why dont you just quit together with sex?
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by Anthony1991
"Quit together"

To adhere to the pit

Why dont you just quit together with sex?

funny thing is, we did sleep together alot but that stopped a few weeks back, yet we wasnt in a relationship!

Quote by Radman_Paiza
I know someone who quit cold turkey, one of the strategies he used was just putting your cigarettes in some other place, so when you reach for them they aren't there, but you have the comfort of knowing you have them. Most of the habit is the routine rather than the actual smoking.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by 0RI0N
Creating new threads helps you quit smoking.

It has helped me.
I have also found it quite useful to choke the living shit out of assholes over the last month or so. Goddam I didn't realize how many asshole I knew until I quit smoking.

T/S It is not easy. Next person that tells you it is you are free to choke the living shit out of. I find it gives your hands something to do.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
It has helped me.
I have also found it quite useful to choke the living shit out of assholes over the last month or so. Goddam I didn't realize how many asshole I knew until I quit smoking.

T/S It is not easy. Next person that tells you it is you are free to choke the living shit out of. I find it gives your hands something to do.

you truely are THE most badass person i have had the pleasure of talking to

Quote by Radman_Paiza
Quote by SteveHouse
1. Keep smoking.
2. Finish GCSEs.
3. Quit smoking.

Don't listen to this.

I've been trying to quit since I was 13. Every-time I would keep a certain event such as the beginning of school or the end of exams as a quitting-goal. Needless to say, I have a cigarette in my hand right now.

Quit now or don't quit.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by shattamakar
Don't listen to this.

I've been trying to quit since I was 13. Every-time I would keep a certain event such as the beginning of school or the end of exams as a quitting-goal. Needless to say, I have a cigarette in my hand right now.

Quit now or don't quit.

true words. The thing that also doesnt help is that despite me being legally underage to buy them ( 18 to buy 16 to smoke, odd right?) it is VERY easy to aquire them.

Quote by Radman_Paiza
Quitting smoking will be easy once you really want to quit... I quit one day when I was smoking and it tasted nasty as it was my 20th or so of the day... Ripped up my pack and RIPPED on EVERY person I saw smoking... then out of spite I couldn't start again as I would look like a dueschebag after ripping on all my friends... plus try to smell a smoker before you've had one that day... that may help lol.... I went back after 4 years when I found out a family member had a terminal illness... and it helped A LOT with the stress.
Uncle aciD

&

The deadbeatS

Do What Your Love Tells You
Quote by shattamakar
Don't listen to this.

Quit now or don't quit.

Each experience is individual - its through multiple collections of experiences that an answer is found.

Saying one thing is right and one thing is wrong makes research go nowhere

Kid do what you feel is right, i'd adhere to previous advice of keep going until you're done with the pointless exams then quit.

But on the other hand, quitting could produce extra discipline which you may need.
You Dont Know Me

I have 10 Anarchy Points - I also have 8 Mythology points!

Peavey Generation EXP Custom White
Yamaha 120S Black
Korg AX5G
Digitech Whammy
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Boss OS2

Quote by mrfinkle213
This man has brains.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Banned for indirect reference.
Quote by shattamakar
Don't listen to this.

Quit now or don't quit.

Bullshit. We know what you're holding in one hand. If you have a smoke in the other wtf are you typing with? Well? Well?
Ya that's what I thought.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by shattamakar
Don't listen to this.

Quit now or don't quit.

Exactly. This is what I was saying, but put better. TS, revise as a distraction!
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by Jackal58
Bullshit. We know what you're holding in one hand. If you have a smoke in the other wtf are you typing with? Well? Well?

Like so...

EDIT: Ohhhh. I am seriously of the ball with jokes today.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Last edited by PussyPunk182 at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by PussyPunk182
Like so...

EDIT: Ohhhh. I am seriously of the ball with jokes today.

after seeing that i had to have a fag. thanks

Quote by Radman_Paiza
Quote by Jackal58

You old bastard.
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by CrazyPigeon
Quitting smoking is easy. I've done it a hundred times.

if its so easy why did you start again 100 times

Quote by Radman_Paiza
Quote by anorexorcist15
if its so easy why did you start again 100 times

It was a joke mate . But seriously, it's easy if you have willpower. I used to smoke loads, but as soon as I finished college I cut right back to just when I go out. The first day is usually fine, but the second one is when you feel it, but after that, it's fine.

Out of interest, how many do you smoke a day, and what brand?
Quote by CrazyPigeon
It was a joke mate . But seriously, it's easy if you have willpower. I used to smoke loads, but as soon as I finished college I cut right back to just when I go out. The first day is usually fine, but the second one is when you feel it, but after that, it's fine.

Out of interest, how many do you smoke a day, and what brand?

well it used to be a whole pack, not its down to 5 or 6. I smoke Malboro lights (now renamed malboro golds)

i knew it was a joke thats why i put that smiley face on the end :P

Quote by Radman_Paiza
Quote by anorexorcist15
well it used to be a whole pack, not its down to 5 or 6. I smoke Malboro lights (now renamed malboro golds)

Marlboro Lights, really? Get a cheaper brand or smoke rollies until you've finished your exams. Straights are hideously expensive; a 12.5g of Cutters Choice is only about £3, which will easily last me a week.

Five or six isn't too bad, try your best to cut out one a week until you've done.
Page 1 of 2