Page 1 of 2
Hey all,

I've been having this problem quite frequently recently, its like this:

I'm just sitting there when someone hands me a guitar (with the knowledge that I play) and just tell me to play something, and the only thing I just go all shy and tell them I don't know what to play.

This is actually getting quite embarrassing, so can anyone suggest any songs that I can just wow them with (I am a fairly good player).

Ellis
G, Em, D, G?

Improvise lyrics?
"The future's uncertain, and The End is always near."
-Jim Morrison
Depends on the guitar/guitar and amp depending if acoustic or not. Acoustic, probably Tenacious D or The Unforgiven or Nothing Else Matters. Electric, anything :P
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Learn a goofy tune like the Sailor's Hornpipe, an instrumental of a popular song (ie chord roots, vocal melody and filler notes) and a cool jazz etc piece like an embellished Autumn Leaves. And if you can sing, a song that most people would know, or a more obscure one that just sounds good.

Something for everyone.
I play Wish You Were Here or Your Revolution Is A Joke, Hey There Delilah and If It Means A Lot To You work well too.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
depends who the friends are:

mainstream = oasis
non-mainstream = tenacious d / other funny song i.e. dueling banjos.

HELLO!

The Mario theme tune is one I generally go for :P
If you're reading this, then chances are you're procrastinating too
On electric I usually just play In the belly of a shark by Gallows, since everyone pretty much knows that one.
On acoustic usually some Against Me! song, since I've been playing those alot lately.
GEAR:
Ibanez SR605
Some 71' P-Bass
Orange Bass Terror 500 > Markbass 4x10
I was at a party and was playing "Heart Shaped Box" whilst talking to some friends, and this chick asked me if I could play "I'm Your's."

I guess that's the new, "You're good at guitar, can you play Green Day?" (Not that I'm saying "Heart Shaped Box" is hard to play or intense.)
Quote by Skullbolt
banned cause yeah:

It's between you, user_nameless, me, and my split personality
I like kittens
SHUT UP NO ONE ASKED YOU!

Proud member of the UG Shred Mafia. P.M. godofshred to join.

"Do you practice UG Blackism? W e do."

PAROXYSM.
Johnny B. Goode.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
- Albert Einstein -
Yeah, theres a few guitarists/musicians in my friend group so I'd like something that makes me outshine the others (not in a harsh way or anything).
Quote by user_nameless
I was at a party and was playing "Heart Shaped Box" whilst talking to some friends, and this chick asked me if I could play "I'm Your's."

I guess that's the new, "You're good at guitar, can you play Green Day?" (Not that I'm saying "Heart Shaped Box" is hard to play or intense.)

Did you know how to play it?

Some other good songs are Little Wing, Hey Joe, Under The Bridge, Yellow Ledbetter. They're all easy to sing and they've got fantastic guitar parts that sound great on acoustic.

Never hurts to know a few I-V-vi-IV songs like I'm Yours either The girls go mad for it
Last edited by Declan87 at Jun 21, 2010,
Impro? Then if it's good, they'll ask what it that was, you say you just made it up on the spot then BANG. Line up the ladies.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
G, Em, D, G?

Improvise lyrics?

Yeah, I always end up playing Polly, but being unable to sing it doesn't always go down well.
Quote by ellis.c266
Yeah, theres a few guitarists/musicians in my friend group so I'd like something that makes me outshine the others (not in a harsh way or anything).

I can't find it on YouTube, but download the acoustic version of Man on the Side if you can. If that doesn't make you outshine the others, I don't know what will.
Quote by Declan87
Did you know how to play it?

Some other good songs are Little Wing, Hey Joe, Under The Bridge, Yellow Ledbetter. They're all easy to sing and they've got fantastic guitar parts that sound great on acoustic.

Never hurts to know a few I-V-vi-IV songs like I'm Yours either The girls go mad for it

Under The Bridge, yes, thats genius.

Also Hey Joe would be brilliant too.

Thanks, Ellis
Quote by CrazyPigeon
Yeah, I always end up playing Polly, but being unable to sing it doesn't always go down well.

Um...the guy who wrote Polly wasn't able to sing.

But aye just learn a bunch of modern acoustic songs - Jason Mraz, Jack Johnson, Chillis etc OR for extra impressiveness take an electric one and turn it acoustic. They'll all be like "AWwwww "

Maybe some Beatles? They go down a treat with everyone nowadays, from old folk to nu-retro hipster cats.

Also John Mayer.

If you're looking for something more impressive guitar-wise, look up some of the Candyrat type artists like Andy McKee and Antoine Dufour, percussive guitar blows the mind of non-musicians as well as outshines regular guitarists.

Or, for electric, well I'm not even gonna bother. I mean just go onto some of the threads on this site. Srsly. You could not be on a better website to find good electric artists.
Last edited by greenelephants at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by tomrgane
The Mario theme tune is one I generally go for :P

me to. Either that or something from zelda
FORZA CATANIA
Play serrana by jason becker, 98% chances of getting laid, or play some barre chords with CAGED
Quote by greenelephants
Um...the guy who wrote Polly wasn't able to sing.

Well played, however, these days girls aren't instantly turned on by a croaky bloke trying to play guitar, smoke and sing at the same time.
Electric:
Low difficulty: Roxanne
Medium Difficulty: Since I've Been Loving You
High Difficulty: Ghost of Perdition

Acoustic:
Low Difficulty: Layla
Medium Difficulty: Heart of Gold
High Difficulty: Bron Yr Aur Stomp

That should suit you well
Quote by greenelephants
*rubs eyes*

they're NOT?

ah man.

And @ Lt shinysides;

what a helpful post

Sadly. Otherwise I'd be getting a lot more sex.
Blow their minds by playing DEP acoustic.

or just play simple catchy acoustic stuff, preferably neutral milk hotel because they do not suck. My cousin was impressed with 4 chords of in an airplane over the sea. And I dont even play guitar. I play bass. And I suck at bass.
Last edited by bogeaqyt at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by CrazyPigeon
Sadly. Otherwise I'd be getting a lot more sex.

Hmm. Maybe they're just so turned on that they're intimidated.

If only life were so simple eh

OT also, pink floyd. TS you're probably gonna have to explain your group's musical tastes to us.
Page 1 of 2