Hello fellow headbangers,
I just bought an Epiphone 1958 Goth Explorer and am currently looking to replace the stock pickups. I play through a Peavey 6505+ combo and play mostly high gain stuff. Any advice?
what about your tone do you want to improve?
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Well for high gain I recommend the Dimarzio tone zone for the bridge, good bite and bottom end, but not overly bright. A great neck pup is the Dimarzio Air Norton, very articulate (think Petrucci. That is what I use on my ESP M-II through my 5150II.
I'd say EMGs, depending on your price range. Their $105 each. If thats too much you might want to look into either the passive EMGs (no idea how those sound) or maybe some Dimarzios or Seymour Duncans.
Price range?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
I do want passive pickups. Does anybody know about the Dimarzio D Activators? Price range is about $200 or so.
Don't go passive emgs.. i made that mistake. they told me that it would sound just like the actives.. wasn't the case. however that being said the actives are great. but if you are looking for passive high out put check out dimarzio. they have something for everyone. like the x2n!
Quote by Britton529
I do want passive pickups. Does anybody know about the Dimarzio D Activators? Price range is about $200 or so.

D Activators are meant to be great. Also look into Breeds for a hot vintage type of sound, and Evolutions for a modern lead type of sound. You can also try a D Sonic or a Crunch Lab in the bridge, and the Steve's Special is meant to be good.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
I have looked at the X2N. Anybody have any experience with the D Activator X? It is a mix between the X2N and the D Activator.
i'd go for the d activator x, its a lower gain and slightly different version of the d activator. with an amp like the peavey, you definitely dont need the gain that the x2n gives, things will just get real muddy.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Go for Seymour Duncan JB's, the are high output with a lot of punch, they also get really good harmonics and squeals. Great for high gain in bridge position.
Last edited by Riverratt at Jun 21, 2010,
I have an X2N, and I've never heard one sound muddy. It's a really bright and trebly sounding pickup. That said, if you're running through a 6505 you won't need super high output pickups. JB's, Tone Zone's, Super Distortions, Duncan Customs should all suffice.
Thanks thanks. If I do use active pups, how hard would it be to install them myself? I know I need different tone pots and a place to put the battery, but I'm not sure I would be able to do it and i dont want to pay to have it done.
It is not difficult, but you need PATIENCE. If you rush it you will end up with cold solder joints and bad ground and then it will be frustrating because you will need to do it again. If you have someone that knows about electronics/soldering it would be wise to have them help you.

The actual job is easy, its the soldering experience that could get you.
Would I have to remove wood to make room for the battery or can it be fitted to one of the existing electronics cavities? And then I am torn between SD Blackouts and EMGs.
If you're going with actives here are some ideas:

EMG81 bridge, 85 neck (ex: EMG81/85+explorer=DETHKLOK) Get them used on ebay, EMGs are pretty much impossible to destroy so why by them new. There will be plenty of room for the battery in an explorer. If you can get away with it buy a $5 18volt mod on ebay for an EMGx sound without spending all the money. Also, I know people talk a lot of shit about EMG81 but if you run that with 18v through your explorere and 6505 you are going to be in metal heaven. Down tuned thrash rhythm especially.

EMG81/85x. Very expensive but the benefit is in the install...you can do it yourself by snapping everything in place. The only thing that needs to be soldered is the switch and output jack, a tech would do that for $20 or less if they are honest. Beware, the solderless wiring set might not work with any other active pickups in case you want to swap. If you get normal emgs though you can always pop a blackout in there with the quick connect if you decide to.

Passive, Duncans:
Explorer+Duncan Distortion=Mastadon
Personally, I prefer a scooped or even eq in mahogany guitars, forget JB and Invader, think Custom, Custom 5, Custom 8, 59bridge

Dimarzio:
Steve's Special, D-Sonic, Air Norton/Zone, I wouldn't go with tone zone or breed, those seem to be made for lighter brighter guitars that need to be beefed up, the explorer has plenty of beef already.
Peavey XXX 40efx
Schecter C1+ (sd 59bA4 neck/sd Custom8 Bridge)
Washburn Idol WI45(AirNorton/CrunchLab)

ESP/LTD Viper 300(EMG81b,89n)
Boss SD-1, Crybaby, MXR 6-band EQ,
Digitech DL-8 Delay Looper, SupaCharga
Last edited by fnichols1 at Jun 22, 2010,
I know that EMGs will be Dethklok. And Dethklok is ****in brutal. So that is one factor. And I think that it will fit under the pickgaurd with the toggle switch wiring. Would I have to replace the tone pot for EMGs?
EMGs come with tone and volume pots in the box, the wiring isn't much more complicated than with passive pickups. If you care for cleans, you can always get the coil split models.
I have the EMG89 instead of 85. A push/pull coil split allows me to get better cleans than I would with an EMG85. Otherwise, the sound of the 85 and 89 are almost identical. I keep thinking that I'm going to try something other than the 81 in the bridge since it is so easy to plug in a new pickup, like an 85 or a blackout but that is just curiosity, I honestly don't think I can improve on the 81 in the bridge.
Peavey XXX 40efx

Quote by Britton529
I know that EMGs will be Dethklok. And Dethklok is ****in brutal. So that is one factor. And I think that it will fit under the pickgaurd with the toggle switch wiring. Would I have to replace the tone pot for EMGs?

If you want to save money, get the 81/85 used and if the seller doesn't give you the pots buy your own, 25k pots are only a few bucks. Hopefully you have enough room for 2 9volt batteries in your cavity so you can do the 18v mod.
Peavey XXX 40efx

A little bit of routing might be required, but no big deal. I'll probably go for passives right now due to money but I might upgrade later.
What is the difference between regular and F spacing? I need to know before I buy.
Quote by Britton529
What is the difference between regular and F spacing? I need to know before I buy.

F Spaced is for guitars with tremolo bridges, regular is for hardtail.

F Spaced might actually just be for Floyd Rose style bridges, can anyone confirm?
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
According to the Dimarzio website, F spaced is called F spaced because of floyd rose trems.
Quote by Britton529
According to the Dimarzio website, F spaced is called F spaced because of floyd rose trems.

True that. With an Edge Pro, or similar, you still need to get f-spaced.
Current Gear:
Ibanez RG1570bk Prestige with Evo Pickups
Fender American Standard 2012 Telecaster
Fender Mustang
Kool Kool. I ordered a Dimarzio D-Activator yesterday so it should be here in a few days. Gonna be awesome.
Check you tube EMG vs Blackouts. The emgs do have a better "chord" sound. but playing metal, you might not need that, unless you play alot of diminished stuff.

Anyway a couple of people turned me onto Bareknuckle Pickups. Check out the site and forum, they have alot of sound clips.

I personally despise emg and the emg bandwagon. there is much better out there.

and return the dimarzio.. j.k. i just saw u already made purchase....
Reverbnation.com/offthewitness