Just a simple question i guess...i play everything among rock n roll and death,folk,viking metal...from dire straits to in flames,insomnium,ensiferum and so on.I play a strat for rock and a hellraiser (so w/ emg) for metal through a carvin x100b,a very nice rock beauty but which lacks of gain for extreme genres,so i do need an extreme pedal.

Which one do you recommend to get those compressed distortions,full of punch and gain?I tried a metal zone and IMHO that's a bit too noizy to me...what about a metal muff?i cannot try it,but some say that's an awesome extreme pedal,others that is a nice heavy metal pedal but not appropriate for heavier and more aggressive sound..What do you think?any other hints?
i know in flames use 5150's
i dont think any of boss' pedals will get you that sound your after,
ive no idea how your amp sounds tho
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
a lot of people like the Metal Muff as well as the MXR Fullbore as cheaper standalone distortions. Another one is the Barber Dirty Bomb, which is apparently better than both.

With a good amp like that you should be able to use a TubeScreamer to boost your distortion, I'm no expert on them though. Fulltone OCD, Ibanez TS808, and Catalinbread SCOD are apparently good higher gain boosts/ODs
Last edited by Tedward at Jun 21, 2010,
Quote by Carrot
i know in flames use 5150's
i dont think any of boss' pedals will get you that sound your after,
ive no idea how your amp sounds tho

yeah,they use a 5150,which is a head with tons of gain (even too much imho)and mine is a pure rock n roll amp,but with an awesome clean channel,so that's why i though a pedal would have been a fair choice
a lot of people like the Metal Muff as well as the MXR Fullbore as cheaper standalone distortions. Another one is the Barber Dirty Bomb, which is apparently better than both.

With a good amp like that you should be able to use a TubeScreamer to boost your distortion, I'm no expert on them though. Fulltone OCD, Ibanez TS808, and Catalinbread SCOD are apparently good higher gain boosts/ODs

Nice idea about the tubescreamer,It'd also be interesting to boost my distortion moduled with the graphic eq to get that full-of-mids-dist...the fullbore is interesting too,i m gonna take a look at it!